Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sentinelese tribe: Rare footage captures one of world's last uncontacted indigenous people

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Averages and statistics.........

There are 5 individuals in your hunter-gatherer clan. You have come together because living independently is a bitch. Hunting and gathering together afford greater yields and protection. In a group of 5 what is the kill average within the group? When killing another member of the group means personal loss in a major way. In a group of 10? 20? 100? 100k? Humans have always been humans. It's the exponential that, because of averages, do the more harm.

And, argue it anyway to forever, I still don't give a $#@!. Leave 'em alone or go show then the "proper" way to live a life. That's all on you.
    I really don't know what you're arguing...

Are you denying that non-state societies had a higher violent death rate (if so, based on what?), or just saying you don't care?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I really don't know what you're arguing...

Are you denying that non-state societies had a higher violent death rate (if so, based on what?), or just saying you don't care?
    He's saying that if you think something needs to be done about them, go do it.
    "The Patriarch"

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yup

The graphs I posted include wars and genocides.
    And those graphs are in percent to total population in those societies?

That's why we have averages.

The violent death rate for the average non-state society was much higher than for the average state society, even in the bloody 20th century.
    Says the state sponsored propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Says the state sponsored propaganda.
    What state sponsored propaganda?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    And those graphs are in percent to total population in those societies?
    Yea, it's violent deaths relative population.

That's the only metric that makes any sense.

Yea, it's violent deaths relative population.
    So if there were 5 people in the tribe and one of them got killed by the others, that would be 20% of the population.

So if there were 5 people in the tribe and one of them got killed by the others, that would be 20% of the population.
    That's generally how math works, yes.

That's generally how math works, yes.
    I rest my case.

I rest my case.
    ...?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ...?
    Comparing losses to large populations against losses to small populations, using percentages is like comparing apples and oranges.

...?
    Why are you such a dummy?

Comparing losses to large populations against losses to small populations, using percentages is like comparing apples and oranges.
    Honduras
    --murders per year, 5,936
    --murder rate, 84.6 per 100,000

United States
    --murders per year, 12,253
    --murder rate, 3.9 per 100,000

Which would you say is the more violent society? For which is violence a bigger problem?

Honduras
    --murders per year, 5,936
    --murder rate, 84.6 per 100,000

United States
    --murders per year, 12,253
    --murder rate, 3.9 per 100,000

Which would you say is the more violent society? For which is violence a bigger problem?
    Obviously, the country with the higher count has a serious problem.

So, just to be clear, you're saying that the US is a more violent society, more troubled by violence, than Honduras?

I guess Homeland Security needs to step it up.
    "The Patriarch"

So, just to be clear, you're saying that the US is a more violent society, more troubled by violence, than Honduras?
    That's not what he said.
    "The Patriarch"

More people are dying in the United States.

Suppose we compare a population with two people and one kills the other? One person lost their life, but 50% of the population died.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More people are dying in the United States.
    Yea, I know, I just posted that.

I'm asking you if you think that fact makes the US the more violent society, the one more troubled by violence.

...despite Honduras having a murder rate ~25 TIMES higher.

Suppose we compare a population with two people and one kills the other? One person lost their life, but 50% of the population died.
    The one with the 50% murder rate is the more violent.

It's the one where an individual is more likely to be be murdered.

It's the one which suffers more economic or other disruption from violence.

Yea, I know, I just posted that.

I'm asking you if you think that fact makes the US the more violent society, the one more troubled by violence.

...despite Honduras having a murder rate ~25 TIMES higher.

The one with the 50% murder rate is the more violent.

It's the one where an individual is more likely to be be murdered.

It's the one which suffers more economic or other disruption from violence.
    Sure, 50% of the people in that sample were violent.

Sure, 50% of the people in that sample were violent.
    That's right...

Now, can you give a straight answer to the question?

Or is there some reason why you don't want to actually state "the US is more violent than Honduras"?

...could be it, maybe, because you know that's an absurd statement?

That's right...

Now, can you give a straight answer to the question?

Or is there some reason why you don't want to actually state "the US is more violent than Honduras"?

...could be it, maybe, because you know that's an absurd statement?
    More people died in the United Stated from violence than from our 2 person sample. Percentage means nothing. How hard is that to understand?

I can't imagine how much back taxes they must owe.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    He's saying that if you think something needs to be done about them, go do it.
    Are you crazy? Have you seen the spears that they have?

It would be much better to send an Officer.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Percentage means nothing. How hard is that to understand?
    I find it hard to believe that you actually believe that.

I find it hard to believe that you would not be interested in the murder rate where you live, for instance.

That you would not prefer to live in a town with a lower murder rate, all else being equal.

But, so be it.

Now let's consider this from another angle.

If stateless societies have on average a 15% murder rate, what would happen if the world today (with its 7+ billion population) went stateless?

What would happen to the total number of murders (which, according to you, is the metric that matters)?

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    The concept of aggression itself has fuzzy edges, and what constitutes "greater" or "lesser" aggression is even more problematic.
    Yep, one faces the same problem in comparing heterogeneous bads as in comparing heterogeneous goods. One approach is to simply leave the edges fuzzy and acknowledge that its a subjective judgment. Alternately, one could try to create a formal rule, e.g. comparing aggressions on the basis of their impact on standards of living (e.g. GDP per capita). But, then, those economic metrics themselves face the same problem of cardinal value, so you're really just removing yourself from the problem by one degree, rather than solving it. Nonetheless, despite those theoretical problems, decisions must be made - even inaction is a decision.

In World A, you commit the aggression of trespass by breaking into the cabin. In World B, you do not.

World A and World B are otherwise identical. Thus, "more aggression overall" exists in World A than in World B.

By the utilitarian "mimimization of aggression" standard you have cited above and elsewhere, should you not prefer World A (where you die) over World B (where you do not)?
    Yes, you should. In these unusual situations, exceptions might be made. The problem here is one of imperfect information. Since the cabin owner isn't home, he's unaware that there is a mutually beneficial agreement to be made with the hiker (the hiker would presumably pay anything, supposing the cabin owner wouldn't just let him in for free). One might develop a principle that, in such situations, i.e. where permission is absent not because the owner consciously refused it, but because he isn't even aware it's being sought, trespass is justifiable, provided the owner is compensated after the fact. Likewise with the pharmacy example.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I can't imagine how much back taxes they must owe.
    ////
    Do something Danke

Leave them there, can you imagine how inbred they are, likely half of them are functionally retarded, and their DNA is a trash heap. If you only have a 100 people there is going to be a lot of brother sister banging, daddy daughter, cousin on cousin action etc... I'd be more likely to carpet bomb the place than contact them. Forget all the talk of rights, liberty, etc... They are biohazard from a genetic perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    Leave them there, can you imagine how inbred they are, likely half of them are functionally retarded, and their DNA is a trash heap. If you only have a 100 people there is going to be a lot of brother sister banging, daddy daughter, cousin on cousin action etc... I'd be more likely to carpet bomb the place than contact them. Forget all the talk of rights, liberty, etc... They are biohazard from a genetic perspective.
    Maybe the in breeding is not as bad as what has been guessed ?
    Do something Danke

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456