Thread: Florida Conservatives Should Back Rejection of the Death Penalty

Florida Conservatives Should Back Rejection of the Death Penalty

As a conservative who holds governments accountable for a living, I support Orange-Osceola State Attorney Aramis Ayala’s announcement to suspend the death penalty’s use. Our political beliefs may differ, but when it comes to capital punishment, the State Attorney and I are in perfect alignment.

Ayala is correct in saying Florida’s death penalty system is broken. And conservatives should agree. The indisputable fact, regardless of your politics, is that the state’s record on capital punishment is abysmal.

Whether the issue is innocence, the impact on murder victim’s families, or the high cost, Florida’s death penalty system has failed – especially when we as conservatives apply our core principles of individual liberty and limited government to capital punishment.

Florida has wrongly convicted and sentenced more people to die than any other state. Twenty-six people, some of whom spent decades facing execution at the hands of their own government, have been set free since the state resumed capital punishment in 1972. Liberty-loving Florida conservatives are increasingly deciding that the very real prospect of letting the government kill innocent people is unacceptable.

Limited government? I don’t think so. Government run amok is more like it.

To keep the machinery of death operating, the state is violating the spirit of its open government “sunshine laws.” As sources for Florida's lethal-injection mix have dried up, the Department of Corrections has refused to say how it is obtaining the drugs and won’t reveal how much the state has stockpiled. I don’t know about you, but the mere thought of government operating in secret – with no oversight or accountability – when lives are on the line sends a chill down my spine.

Florida taxpayers are also paying a high price for the state’s irreparably broken death penalty. More than a dozen states have discovered that capital cases are up to 10 times more expensive than other similar noncapital cases due to up front defense and prosecution costs, appeals, and incarceration. But even with nearly 400 death row inmates, Florida has never made a serious attempt to determine the fiscal impacts. Legislative quick fixes in the wake of court rulings have just ratcheted up the costs. Fiscal conservatives should be appalled.

One stunning fact is that most Florida counties have already stopped using the death penalty. Just six of Florida’s 67 counties account for more than half of the state’s 89 executions. Four of those counties have been branded as “outliers” for their overuse of capital punishment. Orange County, prior to Aramis Ayala’s election, was among them. (Miami-Dade, Duval, and Pinellas are the others.)

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/sto...-death-penalty
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good to hear! It's time for conservatives to start making common sense alliances with the left like Ron Paul did while he was in congress.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Hear, hear!

I am approve Aramis Ayala’s shenanigans.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Just a little tidbit from the article that made me twitch

” As sources for Florida's lethal-injection mix have dried up,"
    what? nobody can figure out what goes in a syringe that can take someone out?..just to keep it simple how about a big honkin air bubble?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Just a little tidbit from the article that made me twitch

” As sources for Florida's lethal-injection mix have dried up,"
    what? nobody can figure out what goes in a syringe that can take someone out?..just to keep it simple how about a big honkin air bubble?
    That wouldn't be humane. o_O
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    That wouldn't be humane. o_O
    true.. but not the point. Lethal injection on it's own isn't either but if it's on the table... simple, cheap.. sources drying up? bull$#@!
    like saying because the bar is out of the booze you really wanted, you can't still get drunk
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

like saying because the bar is out of the booze you really wanted, you can't still get drunk
    Well, yeah ... but in this case, the bartender is the government, so yeah ... you probably can't still get drunk.

It's Victory Gin or nothing ...

just to keep it simple how about a big honkin air bubble?
    How about a firing squad? Right after sentencing. The jury should do it.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    HA.

The author is a friend of mine, good guy. Ron Paul guy who ran a Nashville think tank for a while. He also got fired from his job at a newspaper for telling Obama to "take your jobs plan and shove it"
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Anti-Death Penalty Prosecutor Pulled From 21 Cases

(Newser) – A Florida prosecutor has been removed from 21 additional murder cases over her refusal to pursue the death penalty. Gov. Rick Scott removed Ninth Judicial Circuit State Attorney Aramis Ayala from the "horrendous cases" Monday after she criticized capital punishment as costly and inhumane, reports CNN and NBC Miami. The cases have been transferred to State Attorney Brad King. King also took over the high-profile case of Markeith Loyd last month after Ayala said she would not consider capital punishment. Her refusal to do so for the remainder of her four-year term, which began in January, "sends an unacceptable message that she is not interested in considering every available option in the fight for justice," Scott says.

Scott, who says the thought of victims' families helped him make his decision, adds that he has the authority to appoint a special prosecutor given his "solemn constitutional duty to 'take care that the laws be faithfully executed.'" However, a rep for Ayala—who claims she only learned of Scott's decision through the media—says she "remains steadfast in her position the Governor is abusing his authority and has compromised the independence and integrity of the criminal justice system." Others have echoed her sentiments, including Democratic state Rep. Sean Shaw, who says Scott's decision represents a "gross abuse of his power." Ayala plans to fight the move and has hired a civil rights lawyer formerly with the Justice Department, reports NPR.
    http://www.newser.com/story/240784/a...-21-cases.html