Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GA-Fire destroys I-85 overpass, shutting down major interstate for an extended time

We've got more of a heroin problem down in these parts, those guys can't even make it to the bathroom.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Maybe we need more tax ticks to regulate what you store where.
    That's it!

Storage police!

SWAT teams and pensions! Bearcats and cell phone readers!

Our infrastructure depends on it!

Think of the children.
    Last edited by tod evans; 04-03-2017 at 11:57 AM.

muh roads

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    muh roads
    Suck to come up on that in the middle of the night....

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Suck to come up on that in the middle of the night....
    Ayep. That'd end your trip real quick.

Commentators on Twitter are wondering how they're going to spin this to blame it on crackheads and others are lamenting low taxes.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. - The Georgia Department of Transportation has opened two lanes of Interstate 20 westbound, after the interstate buckled Monday this morning.

GDOT said they anticipate to have all lanes back open by noontime on Tuesday.

We're digging into what caused the buckling and monitoring the latest traffic conditions RIGHT NOW on Channel 2 Action News.

Viewers sent photos of a large, cracked bump in the HOV lane between the Flat Shoals Road exit and Gresham Road overpass.

All westbound lanes of the interstate have been blocked as crews work to rebuild the road.

DeKalb police initially said that the buckling was caused by a gas leak, but a Southern Company spokeswoman said the incident "was not caused by and did not involve the release of natural gas."

A spokeswoman said work was being performed in the area on behalf of Atlanta Gas Light.

Viewers say the buckling is two to three feet high.

DeKalb County Fire Rescue said the driver of a motorcycle was critically injured after he was thrown 10 to 15 feet onto the roadway by the buckling.

"I'm like, 'Oh my God,' this is so unbelievable," said one driver at the scene.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/deka...cked/513329735

DeKalb police initially said that the buckling was caused by a gas leak, but a Southern Company spokeswoman said the incident "was not caused by and did not involve the release of natural gas."

A spokeswoman said work was being performed in the area on behalf of Atlanta Gas Light.

Viewers say the buckling is two to three feet high.

DeKalb County Fire Rescue said the driver of a motorcycle was critically injured after he was thrown 10 to 15 feet onto the roadway by the buckling.
    DeKalb Police: We ain't paying for the lawsuit.
    Gas company: We ain't paying for the lawsuit.

Ayep, that ended the motorcycle drivers trip real quick.

Man accused of setting fire that brought down I-85 bridge may never see jail time

The man blamed for the Interstate 85 bridge collapse reached an agreement with prosecutors Friday that could keep him from ever standing trial if he can stay off drugs.

Flanked by a team of attorneys, Basil Eleby appeared before Superior Court Judge Constance Russell Friday afternoon.

Police charged Eleby after two witnesses claimed he smoked crack cocaine before lighting a chair on fire underneath the I-85 bridge that crosses over Piedmont Road in March.

The fire spread through material that was being stored under the bridge, causing an inferno under the expressway. The bridge eventually collapsed from the flames.

Eleby was arrested, but now, he will not be prosecuted for arson and criminal damage. Instead he’s going through an 18-month diversion program which requires him to complete drug testing and counseling for his addiction.

“My only concern is that two years from now I don’t want anyone to tell me, ‘oh he’s no longer acute, he’s back,'” Russell told Eleby’s attorney Friday, making it clear she does not want to see Eleby in trouble again. “Good luck Mr. Eleby. Go forth and do well. don’t let me read about you.”

Eleby admits he’s struggled with inner demons but is adamant he didn’t torch the bridge.

“Even in my drug-induced state of mind, even I could see there’s no way. The bridge is made (so) you can’t light a fire and burn down a bridge. I don’t care if you put gasoline on it those bridges, (they) are engineered not to burn so easily,” Eleby told Channel 2’s Wendy Halloran following the court hearing.

Eleby’s attorney, Lawrence Zimmerman, said his client is an innocent man.

"We presented evidence from day one from polygraph tests, to alibi witnesses, to the state of Georgia that Basil had nothing to do with this fire whatsoever," Zimmerman said. "The Atlanta Police Department made a mistake."

Zimmerman said so did prosecutors

“Charging him with arson was ridiculous,” Zimmerman told Halloran.

Eleby insists he’s a changed man.

"I am not the person that I used to be a few months ago,” Eleby said.

If he’s not successful, the District Attorney's Office could prosecute Eleby.

“I’m going to do what I need to do to stay sober,” Eleby told Halloran.

Zimmerman said they fully expect Eleby to complete the program and the case will be dismissed.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atla...al_twitter_sfp

7 cows die in I-75 crash that closed lanes for hours

COBB COUNTY, Ga. - Traffic is moving again after a tractor-trailer carrying cows overturned on Interstate 75 southbound in at Wade Green Road in Cobb County.

Triple Team Traffic's Mark Arum first alerted drivers about the crash around 5 a.m. on Channel 2 Action News This Morning.

Seven of 19 cows that were in the truck died, Cobb County police say.

We have a reporter and photographer working to learn what caused the crash for live updates on Channel 2 Action News at Noon.

The crash happened on a major interstate right as the morning rush hour began.

This is not the first time there have been animals on Atlanta roads.
    https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cob...i-75/750980579

I have been calling Atlanta The Cowpens for some time .
    Do something Danke

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Downtown connector looks $#@!ed.

Downtown connector looks $#@!ed.
    The largest major roadway within 20 miles of me...granted on a light traffic day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123