Thread: Brakey (R-ME) forms US Senate Exploratory Committee

Brakey (R-ME) forms US Senate Exploratory Committee

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/maine...g-2018/2102947

State Sen. Eric Brakey has taken the first formal step toward a campaign to try to unseat U.S. Sen. Angus King in 2018.

Brakey said Wednesday he has formed an exploratory committee that will allow him to raise enough money to pay for expenses related to a possible campaign against the first-term Maine independent. ... Brakey, who has been open about his interest for months, said he decided to form the exploratory committee because he is strongly considering taking on the challenge. ...He said he’s already spoken with U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, a Kentucky Republican who is the son of Ron Paul, a former presidential candidate and stalwart libertarian. ... Brakey won a state Senate seat in 2014 at age 26, sweeping all five municipalities in the 20th District, the first time a candidate pulled that off since Olympia Snowe managed the feat in her state Senate race in 1976. He easily won re-election last year. In the state Senate, Brakey has championed welfare reform and the right to carry concealed firearms as well as taking aim at government efforts to help big businesses.

Brakey said the problem in Washington is that “I don’t think our federal government is standing up for the little guy." He said some politicians stick up for big government while others cheer-lead for big business. All of them, Brakey said, “are working together and screwing over the little guy.”
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will he have to give up his seat in order to run?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Hopefully he can get elected in this seat. If not, it should a least raise his profile and have a lot of benefit to the cause in his state.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

There is no chance of unseating King now. Ranked choice voting passed, so even if the democrats ran a strong candidate they wouldn't split the vote like when Lepage won twice.

I will still support Brakey of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    There is no chance of unseating King now. Ranked choice voting passed, so even if the democrats ran a strong candidate they wouldn't split the vote like when Lepage won twice.

I will still support Brakey of course.
    Thanks for your input. Do you know if he has to give up his seat for this? Also are there any particular reasons King can't lose right now in your view, issues and whatever or is he just popular?
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I don't know the rules or timing on his state seat.

King was a popular 2 term governor. Zip chance anyone could beat him. He won a 3 way senate race with over 50%. In ranked choice he will be untouchable.

Brakey does a good job and I wish him the best. I will vote for him. He might as well give it a go.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seems like the upper echelon of liberty movement is rallying around Eric early and that means they believe there is something about either this race or a promising future for Brakey.

Could be a play to build name recognition for another seat if beating Angus is too hard.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Will he have to give up his seat in order to run?
    He doesn't have to step down, but he can only run for either state or federal senate as his current term is a 2 year term. However, in 5 years, he is term limited anyway.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Brakey should hit Sen. King hard for voting against Judge Gorsuch for SCOTUS.

Sen. Rand Paul backs Eric Brakey's bid to unseat Angus King

By Steve Collins, Staff Writer
    Published on Monday, May 1, 2017 at 2:02 pm | Last updated on Monday, May 1, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Republican Eric Brakey’s long shot bid for a U.S. Senate seat got a boost Monday with the public backing of one of the senators with whom he hopes to serve.

U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., sent out a fundraising email for Brakey on Monday that said the 28-year-old Mainer “has a proven liberty first resume.”

Brakey, a state senator from Auburn, is hoping to unseat U.S. Sen. Angus King, a Maine independent who’s up for reelection in 2018. King is seeking a second term. So far, Brakey is his only opponent.

Brakey told a conservative podcast recently that he has a shot because “there’s very much a ‘leave me alone’ libertarian bent to the state of Maine” that he can tap into if he can frame the issues in a way that appeals to voters.

Brakey has ties to Rand Paul. He served as the senator’s presidential campaign director in Maine last year after holding the same position four years earlier for Ron Paul, the senator’s father and libertarian legend.

In his email appeal for support for Brakey, Rand Paul said he needs more allies in the Senate.

“Thankfully,” he said, “Brakey has stepped up to the plate with a strong pro-liberty and anti-government agenda to defeat Senator King.”

“Now it is our time to tell Eric that we have his back as he stands up against the Kings in Washington and fights for the little guy whose voice isn’t being heard,” Paul wrote.

Paul said he has had the pleasure of getting to know Brakey and watched him “produce real results for the liberty movement.”

Brakey said in his podcast with Tom Woods that he thinks Maine is in the middle of a realignment that provides an opening for someone like him who can appeal to both sides of the political aisle.

He said that since jumping into the race, he’s had “so much help coming in” in terms of contributions, resumes from possible campaign staffers and offers to volunteer that he’s fouhd it “really encouraging.”

Brakey said it’s a big endeavor to run for the Senate, but he’s counting on help from libertarians across the country who realize that every senator has one vote, whether he’s from Maine or California. Winning in Maine is a lot more likely since any help goes much further, he said.

King, a former governor, is one of two independents in the Senate. He caucuses with the Democrats and typically votes with them as well.
    http://m.sunjournal.com/news/maine/0...s-king/2121894
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

https://twitter.com/SenatorBrakey/st...37679894188033
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

And so ends another liberty campaign...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And so ends another liberty campaign...
    Sadly this was a foregone conclusion. No chance a Republican could win that seat.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

At least Eric Brakey made a real attempt for the US Senate in Maine in 2018.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.