Thread: Liberty mega donor Phillip Huffines files to run for Texas Senate

Liberty mega donor Phillip Huffines files to run for Texas Senate

Phillip Huffines files to run for Texas Senate

Phillip Huffines, whose twin brother Don already serves in the Senate, submitted paperwork to begin raising money for a campaign for Senate District 8.

Phillip Huffines, the chairman of the Dallas County GOP, has filed to run for Texas Senate.

Huffines, whose twin brother Don already serves in the upper chamber, submitted paperwork Tuesday to begin raising money for a campaign for Senate District 8, according to the Texas Ethics Commission. Huffines and others in the GOP are anticipating that Van Taylor, the Plano Republican who currently represents the district, will win the race to replace retiring U.S. Rep. Sam Johnson, R-Richardson.

"I will run for the open seat in Texas Senate District 8, and I will win," Huffines said Tuesday in a letter to Dallas County GOP precinct chairs. "I am pursuing the opportunity to lead the charge against liberal Democrats and liberal policies."

Huffines also promised that his Senate run would not affect his leadership of the party, saying he intends to finish his term as chairman through March 2018.

A wealthy businessman from Dallas, Huffines could pose a serious challenge to a number of GOP state representatives looking at running for Taylor’s seat. They include Jeff Leach and Matt Shaheen, both from Plano.

After Huffines filed for the seat, Leach issued a statement that confirmed he is considering also running and said he will continue listening to supporters who want him to jump in the race.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03...-texas-senate/
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

17 hrs · After a long deliberation with my family, and overwhelming support from the community, I am excited to announce that I intend to run for Texas Senate District 8. This will not, however, affect my steadfast dedication to serving as Chairman of the Dallas County Republican Party.

I am a proud husband, and a father of three great children who are now young adults. As I look at the world they are entering, I feel compelled to stand up and do more to ensure they have the same opportunities we are all of given in our great state.

I believe in the independence and freedom that make North Texas, and Senate District 8, great. Ideals that include the need for quality education, low taxation, stopping illegal immigration and securing our border, and repealing Obamacare. I will work tirelessly to advocate and fight for these ideals.

In order for North Texas to remain prosperous, we need a seasoned, experienced businessman who can transform a vision into a reality.

I hope to visit with you over the next few months as I seek to earn your support. I look forward to a vibrant discussion on how we can continue to make our state an even better place for all of us.

https://www.facebook.com/Phillip-Huf...5997629698168/
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

A wealthy businessman from Dallas, Huffines could pose a serious challenge to a number of GOP state representatives looking at running for Taylor’s seat. They include Jeff Leach and Matt Shaheen, both from Plano.
    This will be interesting if they run. Both of them are among the top 15 or so most reliable reps for us and popular with grassroots republicans. I don't trust them on things like the war on drugs, but in a normal race it would be one of them vs an establishment candidate.

They live in the district and are popular but even considering that, to me taking on one of the Huffines seems like a suicide mission for a conservative. Perhaps the establishment will find a special interest candidate to muscle past them and take on Huffines, or perhaps they will get behind one of them to stop Huffines.

Phillip maxed out in both 2008 & 2012 for Ron Paul. Don started Santa Rita PAC for Ron and Phillip gave $50,000. Phillip maxed out for Rand for President and gave quite a bit of money to his PACs. Phillip also gave to liberty guys like Adam Kokesh, Broden, and Robert Lowry for Congress, and Joe Miller for Senate.

Don has been a great voice for us so far, the main voice for constitutional carry in the senate, and pushing to ban vehicle inspection taxes, and lots of other taxes.

Frankly, they are both rich and well connected. I think Phillip will be a great addition for Liberty, money will not be the issue in his race, he can self fund + get huge checks from lots of business people, friends, and political people most of the liberty movement does not have access to including people usually in the Cruz or Trump network. None of that has proved a problem with Don, he is solid for liberty and has been his own man and I believe Phillip should be his twin in every way.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe