Thread: Newsweek was right in 1993

Exclamation Newsweek was right in 1993

This is a cover from Newsweek from 1993, commenting on the movie "Falling Down".

If you have not seen the movie, here is a summary from wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Down

At the time, 24 years ago, of course the premise of the movie was dismissed as paranoia.

Now, with middle aged white men dying by the thousands, it does not seem too far fetched anymore.

It seems that many men are not willing or able to live in the stultifying miasma of the politically correct nanny state, the matriarchal third wave feminist nonsense and upside down freakshow world that we now all live in, and are instead, checking out, with the gun, or the needle, or the high jump, or just not giving a $#@! anymore.

And I don't fault my fellow men for that, I really don't

I fault all of them, myself included, for being too weak or preoccupied or stupid to protect and preserve and defend what we had built.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Nick: We're the same, you and me. We're the same, don't you see?

Bill Foster: We are not the same! I'm an American and you're a sick $#@!.

Nick: Just what kind of vigilante are you?

Bill Foster: I am not a vigilante. I am just trying to get home to my little girl's birthday party and if everyone will just stay out of my way, nobody will get hurt.

Nick: $#@! you. Who the $#@! are you? Are you $#@!ing with me? You're $#@!ing with me!

Bill Foster: I am just disagreeing with you! In America, we have the freedom of speech, the right to disagree!

Nick: $#@! you and your freedom!

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

But did Newsweek have it right? Was it paranoia or perhaps just rational fear? Or possibly just a demographic that appeared unwilling to join the new order? Perhaps neither fear nor paranoia - just a war.

I believe the intended message of that film was to paint the "conservative" as having no social IQ, being grotesquely unfashionable, and, by definition of his "conservatism," an irrational and unstable man. The epitome of an object for ridicule, contempt, and disdain by an enlightened and progressive public. Brought to you by Hollywood and their Council On Foreign Relations media Division.

The movie was awesome and a hoot, despite it's subtle attempt to make being a traditionalist American a pejorative. Not sure if the main character would prefer Paul over Trump, however.
    Last edited by anaconda; 03-28-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    But did Newsweek have it right? Was it paranoia or perhaps just rational fear? Or possibly just a demographic that appeared unwilling to join the new order? Perhaps neither fear nor paranoia - just a war.
    Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

Or, put another way:

It's not paranoia if they really are coming for you.

Falling Down might be the original or modern day "Triggered" movie. It was sort of ironic--or fitting--that the butt hurt people triggered by the movie were some of the same type people and ideas portrayed in the movie.

The screenplay was written by an older white guy who is mostly an actor. I don't know his exact angle, but it seemed much more introspective than some of the superficial and asinine reactions it got. It did not help that the person directing it is one of the most horrible and cliched Hollywood directors around. I don't know how much that changed the slant of the movie. I thought the movie was good, but probably could have been much better with a better director. Didn't hurt that Robert Duvall, Tuesday Weld, and Frederic Forrest were in it.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 03-28-2017 at 07:39 PM.

At least now McDonald's has a full day breakfast:

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    At least now McDonald's has a full day breakfast:
    One of the greatest advancements of the 21st century
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great movie. Strangely, the connections with what we're seeing now never dawned on me in more than general social discontent sense until now, but this is right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This is a cover from Newsweek from 1993, commenting on the movie "Falling Down".

If you have not seen the movie, here is a summary from wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Down

At the time, 24 years ago, of course the premise of the movie was dismissed as paranoia.

Now, with middle aged white men dying by the thousands, it does not seem too far fetched anymore.

It seems that many men are not willing or able to live in the stultifying miasma of the politically correct nanny state, the matriarchal third wave feminist nonsense and upside down freakshow world that we now all live in, and are instead, checking out, with the gun, or the needle, or the high jump, or just not giving a $#@! anymore.

And I don't fault my fellow men for that, I really don't

I fault all of them, myself included, for being too weak or preoccupied or stupid to protect and preserve and defend what we had built.
    I watched the movie on YouTube about a year ago. For some odd reason I didn't see it as about white males at all but about all of us screwed by the corrupt system we live in. Oh...and I'm a black male.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Hollywood should "re-imagine" this movie with a Trans as the main character. /s

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I watched the movie on YouTube about a year ago. For some odd reason I didn't see it as about white males at all but about all of us screwed by the corrupt system we live in. Oh...and I'm a black male.
    I imagine it would speak to anybody with their head screwed on straight.