Thread: Steve Bannon Dismisses Austrian Economics

Steve Bannon Dismisses Austrian Economics

You guys don't need a repeat of why Austrianism is cool beans so just gonna quote Bannon's part and split.

https://mises.org/blog/steve-bannon-...rian-economics

What’s that Dostoyevsky line: Happy families are all the same, but unhappy families are unhappy in their own unique ways?” (He meant Tolstoy.) “I think the Democrats are fundamentally afflicted with the inability to discuss and have an adult conversation about economics and jobs, because they’re too consumed by identity politics. And then the Republicans, it’s all this theoretical Cato Institute, Austrian economics, limited government — which just doesn’t have any depth to it. They’re not living in the real world.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

And then the Republicans, it’s all this theoretical Cato Institute, Austrian economics, limited government
    Wouldn't that be great?
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Deist schools him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

MAGA! MAGA! MAGA MAGA MAGA! Anyone who ever criticizes Trump is a hypocrite because....Hillary....because.....Obama....because ...Ron Paul voted to go after Al Qaeda in Afghanistan....Trump is above reproach....Trump supporters are gods.....we should all feel privileged they allow us to stay on the same planet....Trump could make the changes he needs if he could just impose martial law....MAGA! MAGA! MAGA MAGA MAGA!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Came here to post the article. Happy to see I was beaten to the punch.

Bannon is a joke, so is Trumpf.

Wow no surprise I guess screw Bannon so glad I was not fooled into supporting Trump.
    "Gradualism in theory is perpetuity in practice." ~ William Lloyd Garrison
    STRATEGY: Three Essential Guidelines for the Liberty Movement

Liberty Policy Journal
    Striking at the Root

And then there were the critics that said that Bannon is evil because he is an ancap...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...cho-capitalist
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 03-27-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is obvious; Bannon cannot possibly support Austrian economics because his national strategy relies on massive government deficit spending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And then there were the critics that said that Bannon is evil because he is an ancap...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...cho-capitalist
    By 'the critics' from your thread I presume you mean 'the one guy on Twitter.'
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

I hope we're getting close to the tipping point - you know... where we can finally lay bare the fact the Trump was a con job all along and it won't be met with derision from those still suffering from the con.

I mean at some point, you'd think all these marks will finally admit it to themselves, right?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    This is obvious; Bannon cannot possibly support Austrian economics because his national strategy relies on massive government deficit spending.
    I thought this as well, based on his 'let's throw some stuff on the wall and see what sticks' (in the tune of trillions of dollars) comments.

But hasn't Trump decreased the debt so far[1]? Are there projections based on implemented budgets that indicate that will change?

[1] http://www.theobjectivenation.com/20...in-office.html
    Last edited by MRK; 03-27-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I hope we're getting close to the tipping point - you know... where we can finally lay bare the fact the Trump was a con job all along and it won't be met with derision from those still suffering from the con.

I mean at some point, you'd think all these marks will finally admit it to themselves, right?
    Do you even know anybody who has been claiming Bannon is a libertarian?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Wouldn't that be great?
    nah...needs more depth.

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

I don't believe in Austrian economics anymore. In fact, gold based currency always seemed a little funny and archaic to me. the world has changed, and the basis of currency has changed as well.

Plus, I take truth by how well people are able to predict. I heard there was supposed to be massive inflation, and I even said there would be.
    There wasn't. Gold and silver did not skyrocket.

There has to be a point when you admit you don;t understand economics as much as you think you do.

As I said, a lot of paupers on a board claiming to understand economics.

Furthermore, whenever holes in austrian logic is pointed out, or examples of failings, it's either the old "real austrian economics haven;t been practiced" or "geeze, we need to change this and that too for austrian economics to work"

So no, sorry, I really just don't buy the hoopla anymore, and I stopped a couple of years ago, and went back to my original thoughts about money, which is the value of money, and the prices associated with it, is simply the goods and services that can be obtained by it, divided by the number of dollars there are. Money is a paper representative of cars and electronics and oil and massages and manicures. There is no need to base it on one commodity when there are so many other commodities.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I don't believe in Austrian economics anymore. In fact, gold based currency always seemed a little funny and archaic to me. the world has changed, and the basis of currency has changed as well.

Plus, I take truth by how well people are able to predict. I heard there was supposed to be massive inflation, and I even said there would be.
    There wasn't. Gold and silver did not skyrocket.

There has to be a point when you admit you don;t understand economics as much as you think you do.

As I said, a lot of paupers on a board claiming to understand economics.

Furthermore, whenever holes in austrian logic is pointed out, or examples of failings, it's either the old "real austrian economics haven;t been practiced" or "geeze, we need to change this and that too for austrian economics to work"

So no, sorry, I really just don't buy the hoopla anymore, and I stopped a couple of years ago, and went back to my original thoughts about money, which is the value of money, and the prices associated with it, is simply the goods and services that can be obtained by it, divided by the number of dollars there are. Money is a paper representative of cars and electronics and oil and massages and manicures. There is no need to base it on one commodity when there are so many other commodities.
    The US is able to export inflation because we hold the reserve currency of the world. The Austrians are right, when the dollar isn't the reserve currency anymore, all of those exported dollars are going to come flowing back here and inflation will skyrocket. What the Austrians have predicted has not come true - yet - that doesn't mean they are wrong.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The US is able to export inflation because we hold the reserve currency of the world. The Austrians are right, when the dollar isn't the reserve currency anymore, all of those exported dollars are going to come flowing back here and inflation will skyrocket. What the Austrians have predicted has not come true - yet - that doesn't mean they are wrong.
    and then American property will plummet in actual value, be it in 2017 dollars or 2024 dollars. People will pay poff their debts easily with inflated currency, yada yada yada. Dollars are just numbers.

Or the American dollar may remain the reserve currency for the next 200 years. I think forecasting economics is a chumps game, (one I and most here played). made soley to make the predictor look a fool. Peter Schiff was cool in 2008, when he was right, (after 10 years of saying the same thing). 9 years later, most of his predictions after 2008 have failed horribly. I was subscribed to his youtube, and watched them, for years.

Do you even know anybody who has been claiming Bannon is a libertarian?
    The problem Bannon and Bosie zero in on is the idea that government should intervene in capitalism to level the playing field for those who would otherwise be subjected to exclusion and marginalization [ie. they don't want government to intervene. - B4L] What they are suggesting is that true capitalism that leads to the survival of the fittest is best. In their view, our form of self-government has no obligation to the commonwealth.

That kind of thinking (and this rationalization for what happened in the lead-up to the Great Recession) is not new for conservatives or Republicans. But it stems from the same libertarianism within that party that was the basis for the policies of Ron Paul and his son, Sen. Rand Paul.
    http://washingtonmonthly.com/2016/11...nalist-agenda/
    This is a common attack that has been used on libertarians, Ron Paul and yes, even Steve Bannon. "If you want capitalism or unregulated markets of any kind, you are a heartless, evil bastard that wants the law of the jungle and survival of the fittest. You want people to die."
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

And probably people like you.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Bannon is still the only reason I support Trump. He sees the big picture with the deconstruction of the administrative state as well as being informed in Strauss-Howe theory. I'm not going to quibble if he takes a shot at the practicality of Austrian economics, on the account it's never been formally adopted by a nation.
    Last edited by AuH20; 03-27-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I think Bannon sees that a spoiled, immature populace is not going to peacefully transition from the veritable orgy of Keynesian spending to the cold impersonal calculations of Austrian economics. That's what he is saying. People can barely understand the principles behind balancing a checkbook and we're going to teach them about praxeology and the business cycle?
    Last edited by AuH20; 03-27-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    MAGA! MAGA! MAGA MAGA MAGA! MAGA! MAGA! MAGA MAGA MAGA!
    fixed that for you.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

I think we're going to have our own version of Germany's hyperinflation of the Weimar Republic (during the 1920's)

Ron Paul always says Rome fell not militarily, but economically. My money says it was the same hyperinflation.

Everything old is new again.

kids playing with money instead of wooden blocks:

money was cheaper than firewood, so that is what they used:

going to the grocery store for a loaf of bread:

money to start up the stove:

Hitler didn't want to get rid of the Jews, he wanted to get rid of the guys he held responsible for destroying Germany's economy (the bankers), who just happened to be Jewish (or claimed to be).

#MAGA
    #FakeJews
    Last edited by Jamesiv1; 03-28-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

All he seems to be saying is that libertarian types tend to dance in the realm of ideals as opposed to putting the rubber to the road and actually understanding what it takes to rule. I've read almost every libertarian thinker of note and the perennial problem with almost all of them is this: they do not understand power, and even worse, they have no desire to and mistake their inability or unwillingness to understand it as some sort of virtue. Who needs to understand power when you can just "smash the state", right? Say what you want about Milton Friedman, but at least he was willing to create libertarian-friendly policies that would be somewhat more palatable to the masses.

Bannon, like all Machiavellians before him, understands power, and the cyclical nature of history. This is (apparently) a guy who reads Strauss and Burnham and Moldbug, among others. He is far more intellectually curious than the vast, vast majority of people who have been in the White House at any point in history. His desire to unmake the federal agencies is well known, but he's smart enough to know that you can't do that by running around talking about gold and how private charity will take care of everyone. Political idealism is the folly of fools who either have no desire or capacity to run a civilization.

Until libertarians study power the way they study economics, what economic theories they champion will be irrelevant. Until then, they'll never have the ability to set any economic policy, let alone an Austrian one.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I think Bannon sees that a spoiled, immature populace is not going to peacefully transition from the veritable orgy of Keynesian spending to the cold impersonal calculations of Austrian economics. That's what he is saying. People can barely understand the principles behind balancing a checkbook and we're going to teach them about praxeology and the business cycle?
    #1: Which of Bannon's expensive policies would he not pursue "if only the poor, ignorant people could handle it"?

#2: You don't need to understand the technical workings of the market in order to operate in it any more than you need to understand the technical workings of your microwave in order to warm up a Hot Pocket.
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.