Thread: Respected 10 term libertarian legislator Rep. Steve Vaillancourt passed on

Unhappy Respected 10 term libertarian legislator Rep. Steve Vaillancourt passed on

Steve was a New Hampshire representative off an on for ten terms. Steve started his public service as a Democrat. He late switched to the Libertarian Party and was one of the few legislators to ever be elected as an official member of the Libertarian Party. Just like Ron Paul, Steve decided it was easier to get elected and help liberty as a Republican. This made Steve the only legislator in U.S. history to be elected as a Democrat, Libertarian, and a Republican. When Ron Paul decided to run for President as a Republican, Steve got on board. Not only did Steve endorse Ron Paul, he ran Ron Paul's ads on his Manchester public access show.

Those in the liberty movement best know Steve as the longest serving libertarian state legislator in our movement. Cannabis activists know him as sponsoring the 2014 bill that when passed the New Hampshire House, because the first cannabis legalization bill to ever be supported by a state legislative body in the nation. Those in New England best know him for his controversial comments that occasionally got him headlines from various North East publications and news websites. Those in the New Hampshire House best know Steve as the top orator in the building. Those in Manchester know him as a community leader and tireless public servant. Steve earned every penny of the total $2,000 salary he made in his ten terms as a legislator!

What I respected most about Steve were his detailed writings about New Hampshire politics, his perhaps best in New Hampshire political prognosticator skills, and his willingness to meet with and help train liberty candidates and free staters. I will forever be in his debt. Rest in Peace Steve.

Learn more about Steve on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Vaillancourt

I'm going to post various comments from Twitter. Facebook, and articles about the passing of Steve in the comments. Please feel free to add your own thoughts.

Last edited by Keith and stuff; 03-27-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here are some of the posts on Facebook. I'm only sharing public posts but I'm going to leave off last names.

By Keith
    With great sorrow I just learned that a friend of mine in the New Hampshire House has passed away. The man was without a doubt the most gifted orator I have ever heard in person. It is a rare gift to be able to change two dozen minds in 90 seconds, but I saw Steve Vallaincourt do that several times. We did not agree on every issue, but we agreed more often than not, and Steve had an exceptionally strong grasp on history, philosophy, and the law.

I hesitate to add this paragraph but Steve always demanded the full truth so I'm going to do so. There are those who thought of Steve as abrasive, and he could indeed be curmudgeonly. That he could be so persuasive with his eloquence and reason despite that fact is an indication of his effectiveness as a legislator.

One last thing. Steve holds the distinction of being the only person in New Hampshire's long history of being elected as a Democrat, Republican, and Libertarian. In all of his years in the House, and I think if memory serves it was roughly 20, he only missed one day. Indeed, when his committee met today and his chair was empty, people who knew him immediately knew something was wrong because he never let his constituents be represented by an empty chair.

Godspeed Steve. I'll miss your knowledge and wit.
    By Leon
    I am shocked and saddened to hear this I see him just the other day when in the LOB testifying. He was Colorful Entertaining and a gifted Orator
    By Pamela
    OMG, are you kidding! I really like him! He was so much fun when we served together in Concord.
    By Al
    Wow, I am shocked, 2 weeks ago he told me he was sick for awhile but was doing better. I can't believe this, he might of been loud voice but definitely did his homework, when speaking at the well. AND, YES Steve changed my mind a few times. RIP REPRESENTATIVE STEVE VALLIANCOURT! YOU WILL BE MISSED!
    By Paul
    Principled, dedicated, gifted orator, humorous, intelligent...so many words to describe him. I will miss him at the State House.
    By Tammy
    Still so shocked. I am grateful for having had the opportunity to serve with him. He often served as the conscience of the House. NH lost a good one in Rep. Vaillancourt.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Tweets on the passing of Steve

by @nuttia
    Very upset to hear about this. Rep. Vaillancourt was someone I was inspired by, and hope to speak my mind as often as he did.
    by @nhfreedom
    Saddened by the passing of Manchester's Rep. Vaillancourt, the most respected libertarian state legislator in our nation RIP
    by @bradyCarlson
    Truly there was no one in nhpolitics like Steve Vaillancourt. Things sure are going to be different at the statehouse without him.
    by @tuohy
    "He was Steve - incredibly bright, incredibly hard-working," Smith said.
    by @kronayne
    Kurk holds moment of silence for Vaillancourt "He was a spicy representative whose floor speeches kept us spellbound and amused"
    by @NHSpeaker
    Saddened to learn of the passing of Rep. Steve Vaillancourt of Manchester, a strong advocate for the NH taxpayer
    by @CHAirmanBuckley
    Condolences to Steve Vaillancourt's brother & family on his passing today. I'm confident Steve is w/his mom who he loved dearly.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 03-27-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Keith, you have to step up and fill some big shoes...Steve and Shem's.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Keith, you have to step up and fill some big shoes...Steve and Shem's.
    Step up yo game, Keith! "Only the good die young."