Thread: Massie hits back at Trump for blaming the Freedom Caucus following GOP health care failure

Thumbs up Massie hits back at Trump for blaming the Freedom Caucus following GOP health care failure

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) is pushing back against President Donald Trump’s narrative that the House Freedom Caucus is to blame for the House GOP’s recent failure to pass health care reform.

On Friday, just minutes before a scheduled full House vote, Republican leadership pulled the American Health Care Act from the floor. The push to pass the legislation was a failure.

Trump, speaking to the American people in the Oval Office, thanked GOP leadership for their effort and conceded the bill’s failure. Trump said he would be moving on from health care reform to tax reform.

However, the president took to his Twitter account early Sunday to lash out at the Freedom Caucus, the conservative wing of House Republicans, for their staunch opposition to the Republican plan to replace Obamacare. In his tweet, Trump accused the caucus of “saving” Obamacare and Planned Parenthood.

Follow
    Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
    Democrats are smiling in D.C. that the Freedom Caucus, with the help of Club For Growth and Heritage, have saved Planned Parenthood & Ocare!

8:21 AM - 26 Mar 2017
    14,139 14,139 Retweets 55,958 55,958 likes

But Massie, one of the most principled conservatives in Congress, adamantly disagrees.

Indeed, the Freedom Caucus opposed the bill at every step because they believed the bill was simply “Obamacare Lite,” meaning that the GOP plan didn’t go far enough to repeal Obamacare and didn’t fulfill the promise Republicans had been making to constituents for seven years: that they would fully repeal Obamacare and replace it with a market-based solution once the party controlled both houses of Congress and the White House.

According to Massie, Trump’s assertion that the Freedom Caucus “saved” Planned Parenthood is not true.

“I take it GOP leadership still hasn’t told Trump the PP provision was a 1yr bait and switch?” Massie tweeted Sunday, in reply to Trump’s tweet.

“See page 23 of CBO,” he added, referencing a recent Congressional Budget Office report detailing the GOP plan.

According to page 23 of the CBO report, the GOP plan only “defunded” Planned Parenthood for one year — hardly a permanent federal defunding, something Trump promised as a candidate.

From the CBO report:

CBO expects that, according to those criteria, only Planned Parenthood Federation of America and its affiliates and clinics would be affected. Most federal funds received by such entities come from payments for services provided to enrollees in states’ Medicaid programs. CBO estimates that the prohibition would reduce direct spending by $178 million in 2017 and by $234 million over the 2017-2026 period.
    The report went on to explain that the savings of not funding Planned Parenthood would later be partially offset because most Planned Parenthood locations serve low income people who are typically already on Medicaid or some form of government assistance. That means more births for people on Medicaid whose children would also qualify for Medicaid.

According to the report:

CBO estimates that the additional births stemming from the reduced access under the legislation would add to federal spending for Medicaid. In addition, some of those children would themselves qualify for Medicaid and possibly for other federal programs. By CBO’s estimates, in the one-year period in which federal funds for Planned Parenthood would be prohibited under the legislation, the number of births in the Medicaid program would increase by several thousand, increasing direct spending for Medicaid by $21 million in 2017 and by $77 million over the 2017-2026 period.
    In a last-ditch effort Thursday, the White House met with the Freedom Caucus to try and shore up votes in anticipation of Friday’s vote. Ultimately, they were unable to get the caucus’ support despite White House chief strategist Steve Bannon informing the caucus that they had “no choice” on the matter.

Massie alluded to the situation on Twitter Friday morning:

Follow
    Thomas Massie ✔ @RepThomasMassie
    If Exec branch tells Legislative branch "when 2 vote" "how 2 vote" & "what it will b allowed 2 work on if vote fails," is that a republic?

7:57 AM - 24 Mar 2017
    2,733 2,733 Retweets 4,518 4,518 likes
    http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03...-care-failure/

Thomas just doesn't understand how to play 35D chess.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Thomas just doesn't understand how to play 35D chess.
    lol, no he is playing the bad cop and Rand is playing the good cop in the 54D chess game.

Didn't you see his interview last week? Massie said he wants Trump elected for a second term.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    lol, no he is playing the bad cop and Rand is playing the good cop in the 54D chess game.

Didn't you see his interview last week? Massie said he wants Trump elected for a second term.
    Lol. Your delusion knows no limits. You latch onto anything you can find that you can use to help support your preconceived notions. And if you come up empty, you will slightly modify those notions to suit your needs. You're hopeless.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Lol. Your delusion knows no limits. You latch onto anything you can find that you can use to help support your preconceived notions. And if you come up empty, you will slightly modify those notions to suit your needs. You're hopeless.
    Why would Massie want to see Trump get a second term, and also attack him, unless his attacks are meant to help him get a second term?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Attack? Looks to me like Trump is calling out the Freedom caucus, of which Thomas is not a member, and Thomas is saying Trump's listening to bad advice and is not informed.

That's ok though. Because Ryan will be out by the end of the week. Dannno told us so.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why would Massie want to see Trump get a second term, and also attack him, unless his attacks are meant to help him get a second term?

Possibilities your mind seems unable to grasp.

1) Massie has principles and so he attacks Trump when he's wrong even though ultimately supports Trump.

2) Massie is Machiavellian and is smart enough to know that saying anything other than "I want Trump to be elected to a second term" at this point would still be political suicide as most of Massie's voters also voted for Trump.

3) Massie is a realist that is resigned to the fact that there will be no serious GOP challenger to Trump in 2020 so the only way Trump doesn't get elected to a second term is if he dies or if a democrat beats him.

All three of those are reasons why Massie could have said "I want Trump to win a second term" and still actually attack Trump in self defense without hoping that the attack somehow helps Trump.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post

Possibilities your mind seems unable to grasp.

1) Massie has principles and so he attacks Trump when he's wrong even though ultimately supports Trump.

2) Massie is Machiavellian and is smart enough to know that saying anything other than "I want Trump to be elected to a second term" at this point would still be political suicide as most of Massie's voters also voted for Trump.

3) Massie is a realist that is resigned to the fact that there will be no serious GOP challenger to Trump in 2020 so the only way Trump doesn't get elected to a second term is if he dies or if a democrat beats him.

All three of those are reasons why Massie could have said "I want Trump to win a second term" and still actually attack Trump in self defense without hoping that the attack somehow helps Trump.
    I think Massie is hopeful, like me, that some positive changes will come from a Trump admin and I think he wants Trump to be as successful as possible. I support everything Massie has said and done that I have seen, he is doing great.

I think Massie is hopeful, like me, that some positive changes will come from a Trump admin and I think he wants Trump to be as successful as possible. I support everything Massie has said and done that I have seen, he is doing great.
    I would say he's in favor of positive changes coming, as we all are. I doubt he's as optimistic as you but that's speculation, and it really doesn't matter since Massie is doing his part for liberty either way.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Pure speculation and wishful thinking on your part. I read the context of where you claimed Massie said he wanted Trump to have a second term. Massie said no such thing.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.