Thread: Survival of the Most Adaptable

Survival of the Most Adaptable

I'm not sure how I would do in those situations. I think I would do fine with losing electricity permanently. That doesn't really bother me very much. I've gone without power for weeks at a time several times in my life and after the first few days it's not a big deal.

I think the hiking trip storm and the sudden climate change would be the hardest for me. I would do okay in the climate change scenario if I still had power, though. It would be tough to adapt to both at the same time. As far as the hiking storm goes, it would also depend. Is it a snow storm? I would die. Is it a thunderstorm in the summer? I would be panicky if there was lightening (lightening truly frightens me) but if it's just bad rain, I would be okay. I can find the way from my backyard to my house even in hard rain. LOL, I'm not gonna hike too far.

Forget survival of the strongest, the meanest, the fastest, the toughest, the fittest or the smartest.

All of those are fine qualities in a prepper but there is one key to survival in nearly any situation that trumps all of the above. Author and journalist Amanda Ripley researched it at length and published her findings in the book, The Unthinkable: Who Survives Disaster and Why. (This book is a must-read for the prepper mindset.)

That key is adaptability.

adaptability:

The ability to change to fit changed circumstances.

The ability to assess a situation and immediately change gears is a vital skill. It doesn’t come naturally for everybody. Like any skill, it takes practice. You must be able to toss Plan A out the window without a regretful look back and plunge immediately and wholeheartedly into Plan B, C, or beyond. You must possess the ability to change your paradigm without hesitation. You can’t cling to the way you want things to be, or the way they should be – you must instantly adapt to the way things are.

The Unthinkable: Who S...
    Amanda Ripley
    Best Price: $3.47
    Buy New $4.97

Everyone remembers the story about the soccer team whose plane went down in the Andes Mountains. The handful of survivors had no option but to consume the bodies of their teammates. Those who refused to adapt to that grim reality perished of starvation.

Here are some less horrific examples where adaptability might be key.

*You’re out for a day hike with your family when an unexpected storm blows up. This isn’t something you can control – you can only control your response to it. You must immediately accept that the storm is occurring and that you are under-supplied. You must look to your surroundings to create shelter from the elements, and possibly find drinking water and food.

*Your home is well-stocked for any event…except suddenly your home is in the path of a raging wildfire. You can’t cling to the fact that your preps are in your home. Your survival reality has changed instantly and you must evacuate with your family and find a new way to be fed and sheltered.

*Your environment has suddenly changed. Maybe it’s global warming, maybe it’s global cooling or maybe somehow the earth was rocked on its axis. Suddenly your familiar climate is gone. You now have to learn to keep your body at the appropriate temperature and keep yourself fed in a totally different way.

*The power is gone. Permanently. Your heat no longer comes from a thermostat dial, your food can no longer be refrigerated in the convenient rectangle in your kitchen and even a light to read by now requires a different outlook. Some people will spend precious time mourning what is gone instead of planning their course of action with what is left.

So, back to the skill of adaptation – it can really be broken down into steps, no matter what the crisis may be. Some things require immediate action, so you have to get through the steps rapidly, while other situations allow you a little bit of thinking time.

“Adaptability is not imitation. It means power of resistance and assimilation.”

Mahatma Gandhi

Accept what is.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/03/...wholl-survive/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I love George but point of order here.. the power goes off while all the cells are locked.. what opens them? Not electricity...
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

A friends S.O. has a 17 year old kid that is dead set on becoming a Marine. My friend, her and I were shooting out on a friends property and he called wondering if mommy would come and get him and take him to the airshow at the local airport. The first thing I told her when she relayed this message was for him to call his damned recruiter and get him to drive him out to see old and new war-birds. He called back to say that the recruiter was already out there with some of the other ROTC's. I looked at her and said "repeat these three words and hang up on him. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome." She did. He did manage to work out something with a friend of his. Amazing how that works.

I would have to move. Too hot here for no electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I love George but point of order here.. the power goes off while all the cells are locked.. what opens them? Not electricity...
    Given that scenario he would be praying he knew a semi-civilized beast with a baseball cap and an automatic weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I would have to move. Too hot here for no electricity.
    You'd be surprised at how quickly you'd get used to it. I grew up without ac. It doesn't bother me to be hot, though. I hate being cold. Mr A makes fun of me because I keep a sweater and socks in the car in case I get cold in the summer. Some of these places keep the ac set ridiculously low. Plus, when you're used to being in ac, it feels hotter outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    You'd be surprised at how quickly you'd get used to it. I grew up without ac. It doesn't bother me to be hot, though. I hate being cold. Mr A makes fun of me because I keep a sweater and socks in the car in case I get cold in the summer. Some of these places keep the ac set ridiculously low. Plus, when you're used to being in ac, it feels hotter outside.
    Ugh...I've lived in hot climates my whole life. We lost power for 5 days after Hurricane Ike..it was awful. I would never get used to it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've experience very hot weather and it was not good. I don't think i can live without electricity