Thread: Is Soundcloud the best for hosting music?

Is Soundcloud the best for hosting music?

So, my free soundcloud account is almost out of space and I have lots more tracks to upload. Is it worth upgrading or should I pick another service? I'm looking for something with lots of storage and is very user-friendly. I want to be able to present it to potential clients and general audiences, so it should also be professional-looking. Thnx. ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Crystal Method told me that they stopped posting there because of their copyright policies. They post on MixCloud now.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    The Crystal Method told me that they stopped posting there because of their copyright policies. They post on MixCloud now.
    According to MixCloud,
    Mixcloud is for Radio Shows, DJ Mixes & Podcasts. Single tracks, mashups & full albums are not permitted
    Why would TCM post music on such a site?
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I know Bandcamp is another alternative

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    According to MixCloud, Why would TCM post music on such a site?
    Because that is all most people younger than you listen to now. It's awesome.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Because that is all most people younger than you listen to now. It's awesome.
    Wut? Single tracks and albums are all over the youngster's categories on amazon music, itunes, etc. It doesn't make sense to listen to epic multi-movement prog metal and classical stuff out of order. It's like watching a movie series in a jumbled order. I have some single tracks I could put up, but I tend do larger scale stuff.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 03-28-2017 at 07:44 PM.

According to MixCloud, Why would TCM post music on such a site?
    TCM a weekly mix called Community Service Radio
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Wut? Single tracks and albums are all over the youngster's categories on amazon music, itunes, etc. It doesn't make sense to listen to epic multi-movement prog metal and classical stuff out of order. It's like watching a movie series in a jumbled order. I have some single tracks I could put up, but I tend do larger scale stuff.
    Most music kids listen to is occasionally mixed with the boring single track stuff, but is made like this..

You can't really buy much of it on amazon, people stream it on their phones off soundcloud or something.. but the whole point is it is meant for live audiences.

If you think you have heard skrillex because you heard some songs from his albums (one of the few dj's who actually released albums, and is really only "ok" to "good" by dj standards), but haven't been to a show, well, you don't really know what's going on.

We're talking all night dance raves that go to 6 or 8am, ok... multi-day festivals..

Some of it is 100% original and produced by the dj's, and is excellent. Some of it is mixed with other tracks, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

There are dozens, and technically hundreds of sub-genres we are talking about. Probably almost a dozen different 'scenes' of people.

With your musical talent there is no reason you shouldn't have hooked onto a sub-genre by no and started mixing tracks yourself. You could really be famous.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-28-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Most music kids listen to is occasionally mixed with the boring single track stuff, but is made like this..

You can't really buy much of it on amazon, people stream it on their phones off soundcloud or something.. but the whole point is it is meant for live audiences.

If you think you have heard skrillex because you heard some songs from his albums (one of the few dj's who actually released albums, and is really only "ok" to "good" by dj standards), but haven't been to a show, well, you don't really know what's going on.

We're talking all night dance raves that go to 6 or 8am, ok...

Some of it is 100% original and produced by the dj's, and is excellent. Some of it is mixed with other tracks, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

There are dozens, and technically hundreds of sub-genres we are talking about. Probably almost a dozen different 'scenes' of people.
    Interesting. Ya know, I could technically stitch together multi-movement pieces into 40-60 minutes tracks. That's how it would be done in concert, except for intermission. But it seems quite unorganized. Is there a way I could write out for listeners the name of what they're listening to? (i.e. 00:00-40:00= "Allegro", 41:00-85:00="Adagio Appassionato", etc)

Interesting. Ya know, I could technically stitch together multi-movement pieces into 40-60 minutes tracks. That's how it would be done in concert, except for intermission. But it seems quite unorganized. Is there a way I could write out for listeners the name of what they're listening to? (i.e. 00:00-40:00= "Allegro", 41:00-85:00="Adagio Appassionato", etc)
    Ya you should read the last line that I edited in while you were writing your post.

I used to do concerts for a living, and Skrillex was one of the best shows I have ever seen in my life!

For a taste of each subgenre, go here: http://www.di.fm/

@danno I found some things on my hard drive. Have a listen and let me know if contemporary audiences would like this kind of thing. I can easily produce lots more at various tempos and whatnot. Here and here

@danno I found some things on my hard drive. Have a listen and let me know if contemporary audiences would like this kind of thing. I can easily produce lots more at various tempos and whatnot. Here and here
    No, you only need to produce it at one tempo. When you put it on the mixer, you choose the tempo then.

You need to add driving beats and textured bass lines, then you need to tweak the $#@! out of your synths.

Make it sound like dis

https://soundcloud.com/cosmic-0-seek...t-psychill-mix

No, you only need to produce it at one tempo. When you put it on the mixer, you choose the tempo then.

You need to add driving beats and textured bass lines, then you need to tweak the $#@! out of your synths.

Make it sound like dis

https://soundcloud.com/cosmic-0-seek...t-psychill-mix
    Ya, when I talked about "various tempos" I meant a single tempo in a song, but various tempos in various songs.

I've found more flowery, prog-ish stuff when I googled "ambient". Can't it also be like that? Rather like this https://soundcloud.com/tippermusic/t...sm-ambient-set
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 03-30-2017 at 01:18 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya, when I talked about "various tempos" I meant a single tempo in a song, but various tempos in various songs.

I've found more flowery, prog-ish stuff when I googled "ambient". Can't it also be like that? Rather like this https://soundcloud.com/tippermusic/t...sm-ambient-set
    Hmm ya that is actually really good, but if you wanna be famous you gotta have beats. All the rest of that guy's soundcloud all has beats.

I don't know if you should stick with SoundCloud or not, I don't really know anything about this stuff.

I did read recently that SoundCloud has been having some struggles finding investment dollars, and finally just took on a whole load of debt instead. Article:

http://archive.is/yPij4

So... that's my contribution to the thread, as irrelevant as it probably is. Good to keep in mind, though, that any platform could always go bankrupt and otherwise fail, or at least fail you, so you shouldn't get too tied to it, always stay flexible.

Hmm ya that is actually really good, but if you wanna be famous you gotta have beats. All the rest of that guy's soundcloud all has beats.
    Cool, thanks for enlightening me, dannno! ~hugs~ I found my copy of Sonar 6 which I will be messing around with in the future. It seems to be better made for this sort of music.

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    I know Bandcamp is another alternative
    I've been tinkering around, and this is the best thing I've found for my primary genres evarrrr!! Thanks! ~hugs~ This will be my primary thang nao because it allows me to sell tracks/merch, keep in touch with fans, and all sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I don't know if you should stick with SoundCloud or not, I don't really know anything about this stuff.

I did read recently that SoundCloud has been having some struggles finding investment dollars, and finally just took on a whole load of debt instead. Article:

http://archive.is/yPij4

So... that's my contribution to the thread, as irrelevant as it probably is. Good to keep in mind, though, that any platform could always go bankrupt and otherwise fail, or at least fail you, so you shouldn't get too tied to it, always stay flexible.
    Concerns well-founded
    It may be grounded:

http://archive.is/j8cns
    Last edited by helmuth_hubener; 08-10-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Concerns well-founded
    It may be grounded:

http://archive.is/j8cns
    Rather than focus on its unique value proposition of being the “YouTube for Audio” with demos, DJ sets and remixes available nowhere else, SoundCloud chased dreams of grandeur as it tried to evolve into a Spotify competitor.
    Soundcloud used to be really good, but apparently they started deleting a lot of content because of copyright issues.. these are DJ sets, lol.. still really good, there is definitely great content on there, but ya the article is right they should have stuck with the original vision because there is huge demand for having DJ sets available for download.

Oh $#@!, there it is..

Meanwhile, it had burned credibility with core users like DJs by removing their music over dubious copyright claims while trying to suck up to the labels.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-10-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Newgrounds is a good place to post art and animations. I'm not sure about music though.