Thread: Justin Amash cosponsors bill requiring Presidential nominees to release tax returns

Justin Amash cosponsors bill requiring Presidential nominees to release tax returns

Justin Amash has cosponsored H.R.305, the Presidential Tax Transparency Act:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...house-bill/305

Amash and Mark Sanford are the only Republican cosponsors of the 74 cosponsors.

Description of bill from sponsor's press release:

Eshoo Introduces Legislation to Require Presidents and Presidential Candidates to Release Tax Returns

January 5th, 2017

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (CA-18) today introduced the Presidential Tax Transparency Act to require sitting presidents and presidential nominees of major parties to publicly disclose their three prior years of federal tax returns. Presidents would be required to disclose their returns in their annual disclosure documents, and nominees would be required to disclose their returns within 15 days of receiving their party’s nomination. The bill is the companion legislation to S. 26, authored by Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR).

“The American people justifiably expect those who seek or hold the highest office in the land to be open and transparent about their tax returns,” Eshoo said. “Tax returns contain vital information, such as were any taxes paid; were any charitable contributions made; were tax loopholes taken advantage of; and are any assets kept offshore.

“For decades, Presidents and candidates have disclosed their tax returns but this bipartisan practice has never been required by law. The Presidential Tax Transparency Act writes this important disclosure tradition into law. As former presidential candidate Mitt Romney stated last year, ‘tax returns provide the public with its sole confirmation of the veracity of a candidate’s representations regarding charities, priorities, wealth, tax conformance, and conflicts of interest.’”

Background
    According to the Tax History Project, every President since 1976 has released their tax returns while in office, but this practice is not required by current law. The Presidential Tax Transparency Act requires the President and all major party Presidential nominees to publicly disclose their previous three years of tax returns with the Office of Government Ethics or Federal Election Commission. “Major parties” are defined in the tax code as parties whose candidate received more than 25 percent of the popular vote in the previous presidential election. If a President or candidate fails to disclose their tax returns, the Secretary of the Treasury is required to provide redacted copies for public disclosure.

Congresswoman Eshoo introduced similar legislation in the 114th Congress, along with 39 bipartisan cosponsors. The text of the Presidential Tax Transparency Act can be found here.
    http://eshoo.house.gov/news-stories/...e-tax-returns/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not sure about this. Should all politicians be required to publish their tax returns? What purpose does this serve?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

ewww!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Presidential nominees are applying for a job. The prospective employer (US citizens including congress) may want documentation that the candidate is eligible for the position and doesn't have conflicts that will jeopardize loyalty to the organization.

Some would say that's up to the voters, to vote on whether such documentation is important to them or not in choosing a president. That's a good argument if you're a fan of democracy.

Should a presidential candidate be required to produce a birth certificate?
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

There shouldn't be a such thing as tax returns.

Amash lives in a tough district, though, and he's one of the best reps we've got.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-25-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

If it was so important to the American people, maybe the American people can just not vote for the candidate who did not release their tax returns. Or maybe Justin Amash cannot trust that the American people can make the right decision. I mean, they cannot make the right decision but this is really the least of my worries. if it was up to me, no American other than me can vote for anything that affects my life.

Sounds like Justin is still pissy that the guy he endorsed, "booger" Cruz, did not win.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Sounds like Justin is still pissy that the guy he endorsed, "booger" Cruz, did not win.
    So, you stand with the establishment against the Freedom Caucus? I guess it goes without saying you are glad your communist won and is working to destroy everything this movement built?

Ps Cruz sucks too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe