Thread: Uber Self-Driving Vehicle Involved in Arizona Crash

Exclamation Uber Self-Driving Vehicle Involved in Arizona Crash

Uber Self-Driving Vehicle Involved in Arizona Crash

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-tempe-arizona

Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:04:43 AM Updated on Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:48:50 AM

A self-driving car operated by Uber Technologies Inc. was involved in a crash in Tempe, Arizona, the latest setback for a company reeling from multiple crises.

In a photo posted on Twitter, one of Uber’s Volvo self-driving SUVs is pictured on its side next to another car with dents and smashed windows. An Uber spokeswoman confirmed the incident, and the veracity of the photo, in an email to Bloomberg News.

The spokeswoman could not immediately confirm if there were any injuries, or whether the car was carrying passengers. Uber’s self-driving cars began picking up customers in Arizona last month.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Biased article is biased.

It also lacks details and is irresponsible.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Biased article is biased.

It also lacks details and is irresponsible.
    Like Faux Snooze better?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/03/...sh-report.html
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    At least fox news gave some details about the accident and Matt Collin's skepticism about the article omitting this detail seems justified.

According to police. the self-driving car was heading south on McClintock Drive when another car failed to yield,
    That is from fox news

The car isn't used to Arizona laws, which are a bit different than California. Left turns are a prime example.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I fail to see (any) damage on the Volvo... Apart from the fact that it's laying on it's side.

Aside from that, I'm not a big fan of the whole self-driving car thing, I'd rather decide for myself how I get assassinated, I mean, how I get somewhere.
    "I am a bird"

What Co would insure the self driving car co ?
    Do something Danke

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I fail to see (any) damage on the Volvo... Apart from the fact that it's laying on it's side.
    The self-driving drone tanks are next . . . I like Ike.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Whose fault was it?

A car with driver (or drunk driver) can screw up and run into a driverless car as easy as a with-driver car.

I don't think I would ever ride in one, but I heard a good point this morning. Caller asked "is there a market?" and the host answered "what are all the boomers going to do when they get to old to drive?" and they want to go to the store and what not.

Light rail stations might not be close to the drug store. And buses would still require a good bit of walking.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    Whose fault was it?

A car with driver (or drunk driver) can screw up and run into a driverless car as easy as a with-driver car.

I don't think I would ever ride in one, but I heard a good point this morning. Caller asked "is there a market?" and the host answered "what are all the boomers going to do when they get to old to drive?" and they want to go to the store and what not.

Light rail stations might not be close to the drug store. And buses would still require a good bit of walking.
    I'd just run into the driverless cars if ya' see one while drivin' a clunker legally -
    easy insurance claim money - the robot car loses every effin' case I'd predict.

I'm skeptical of the technology, but one accident and it wasn't even the uber car's fault? If we held humans to the same standard as uber, we'd have to walk.

As someone who's driven Uber I have one question. How does the Uber computer compensate for the fact that the stupid app sometimes sends you to the wrong place? I don't know how many times I've gotten calls from riders who say "I know the app is saying street X but you should really be at street Y two blocks down." As someone with a masters in Comp Sci I would never let a computer programmed by someone else drive my car.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    At least fox news gave some details about the accident and Matt Collin's skepticism about the article omitting this detail seems justified.
    According to police. the self-driving car was heading south on McClintock Drive when another car failed to yield,

That is from fox news
    Yes it is.. And I am not sure on AZ law,, but in other states,, you would be cited with Failure To Maintain Control.

Regardless of weather or other drivers. Period.

of course "no Fault" did away with that in some places.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Cliched but for anything self driving.........

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post

That is from fox news
    I'd blame the self-driving car for not understanding that 90% of the people on the road are not paying attention and will not yield when they have to. That's the thing with people who take rules too seriously, not thinking for yourself can be quite hazardous.
    "I am a bird"

You can't go in-between. Riding a bus is all out of your control. Stick shift is in your control. Anything in-between means your skills will atrophy. There are pilots who can't fly because of auto pilot. They know not what to do when there's a problem. Call me naive, but I think the trend will reverse. Things are cyclical. There are motorcycles. Companies still advertise manual transmission on tv. Very few things are completely automated. This is all bull $#@!.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
    You can't go in-between. Riding a bus is all out of your control. Stick shift is in your control. Anything in-between means your skills will atrophy. There are pilots who can't fly because of auto pilot. They know not what to do when there's a problem. Call me naive, but I think the trend will reverse. Things are cyclical. There are motorcycles. Companies still advertise manual transmission on tv. Very few things are completely automated. This is all bull $#@!.
    Yes, Asiana flight 214 that crashed short of the runway into the seawall at SFX a couple years ago is a prime example of pilots not experienced enough to fly their plane without technology doing the work for them. There are many other examples. As a bird imitator myself, I have to say, airspeed is the most important parameter.

I have to say, I now drive a car with automatic transmission.. And I love it. But, I do have less control over what is happening, especially when the car is downshifting in a corner, it's much easier to hit the exact right moment to dump the clutch and floor it with a manual car than with an automatic that has a slight delay... Luckily my car has a manual option, no flippers on the steering wheel sadly but the manual option on the gear selector works pretty well.
    "I am a bird"

If the fault was lies not on the self-driven vehicle it just goes to show that vehicles driven by individuals will need to be taken off the road for the safety of all.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    As someone who's driven Uber I have one question. How does the Uber computer compensate for the fact that the stupid app sometimes sends you to the wrong place? I don't know how many times I've gotten calls from riders who say "I know the app is saying street X but you should really be at street Y two blocks down." As someone with a masters in Comp Sci I would never let a computer programmed by someone else drive my car.
    This is what happens:

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Probably a texting accident.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I'd blame the self-driving car for not understanding that 90% of the people on the road are not paying attention and will not yield when they have to. That's the thing with people who take rules too seriously, not thinking for yourself can be quite hazardous.
    I would assume that the car has collision prevention software(aka defensive driving) running but sometimes, someone just hits you and there is nothing you can do about it. TI think this was most likely clearly the human's fault cos if now, the media would be trumpeting news about the automated car failure 24/7.

I don't even use my cruise control. Can't imagine EVER trusting a self driving car to transport me.

Tesla 'autopilot' car hits Phoenix police motorcycle

A Phoenix police motorcycle was struck by a Tesla Model X reportedly operating on autopilot last week, police said.

The incident happened a few days before an accident involving an automated Uber vehicle in Tempe.

Phoenix police on Monday confirmed that the incident occurred when a Tesla driver and an on-duty officer exited the Black Canyon Freeway onto Utopia Road on the afternoon of March 21.

“It wasn't even a reportable collision. If it wasn't involving an officer, we would not have even investigated it.”
    Sgt. Alan Pfohl, Phoenix police

The officer, who was in front of the Tesla driver, stopped for a stoplight, police said. After also stopping briefly, the Tesla began moving forward, prompting the officer to jump off his motorcycle and move away. The car struck the fallen motorcycle, but no damage was reported to either vehicle.

The officer later estimated the car was moving at about three miles per hour, police said.

The Tesla driver told police that he had the car in autopilot mode at the time of the incident, but Phoenix police spokesman Sgt. Alan Pfohl said investigators were unable to corroborate that statement.

Because it was such a minor collision, he said, there will be no further investigation. The officer was not harmed, and no citations were issued.

“It was pretty much a tap,” Pfohl said, adding that, under other circumstances, it wouldn’t have been deemed an accident. “It wasn’t even a reportable collision. If it wasn’t involving an officer, we would not have even investigated it.”

A police report is pending approval before it will be released. Police have declined to release the names of the officer or Tesla driver.

Tesla company officials declined to comment on the record when contacted by The Arizona Republic.
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...days/99710786/

This^^ for a driverless uber to work, they would have to spend a lot of money on GPS that actually works 100% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wait. A Tesla almost hit a cop and the cop didn't terminate it with extreme prejudice?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

THis just proves AF's point. The self-driving UBER car didn't do ANYTHING wrong here. Another car with a DANGEROUS HUMAN DRIVER crashed into it after a failure to yield.
    Last edited by jllundqu; 03-28-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Wait. A Tesla almost hit a cop and the cop didn't terminate it with extreme prejudice?
    Appears automatons are more equal than humans.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    THis just proves AF's point. The self-driving UBER car didn't do ANYTHING wrong here. Another car with a DANGEROUS HUMAN DRIVER crashed into it after a failure to yield.
    It did what it was programmed to do and nothing more. That does mean it has no ability to predict the other car's movements. No ability to think critically and recognize the other car's failure to yield, thus avoiding a collision.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book