Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who understands cell phones and can help me?

Who understands cell phones and can help me?

I have a Tracfone....I know nothing about cell phones.

My son's friend gave him a Galaxy S3 phone. It has no sim card. He uses it to store music and he can text people when he has wifi. Is there a way (or a wrong / right way) to make this a working phone? Can I buy a sim card and make it work? Do i have to use a sim card from a certain company? And if so how do I know which company?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I use a tracfone myself.

I opened this thread seeking knowledge but ya'll are just as clueless as I am...

You need to find out who the carrier was, as in Sprint, T Mobile etc..

Then activate it with them. Also you can "unlock" the phone and use it with anyone. Some of them allow you to bring in a phone from another company but I'm not sure if they all do. Call up who you want to go with or go to their website and find out.
    "The Patriarch"

Search craigslist in your area for "cell phone unlocking"

If you're using Tracfone, you like simple and pre-paid.

I'll PM you a good, easy way to do it.

There are two different technologies used on how cell phones work: GSM and CDMA. The major difference is that GSM uses SIM cards and CDMA does not - the technologies are incompatible with one another.

In the US these two technologies compete, and there is AT&T (GSM) vs. Verizon (CDMA), with the "discount" competition being Tmobile vs. Sprint (GSM v CDMA).

Unlocking a phone is entirely different, that's when a phone is purchased through a carrier and is locked to only their network (common when phones were subsidized and under contract). Nowadays I believe most phones are purchased at full price, I'm not sure how many come unlocked by default, or if you have to call the carrier and have it done -- I buy very few phones (1 smartphone total, haha), but unlocking shouldn't be a very big deal.

Also to note, there are very few phones that are manufactured with both technologies, but they do exist (newer iPhones and the Nexus 5, 6).

To answer the other questions -- you can buy any SIM card and they work on SIM card phones (it's all GSM). Not to confuse things, there are different sizes of SIM cards (which the carrier could immediately look up/give the proper size), its only affect is the size of the card/fitting in the phone itself. However, it sounds like this doesn't apply to your phone since it's probably CDMA (no SIM card).

--I don't know the process for switching CDMA carriers, it's not an unheard of thing and I'm sure it's relatively simple, involving taking your phone into a shop and having them set it up. Just check the phone to see if it's branded to a specific carrier (Verizon/Sprint) on it (probably needs unlocking), and ensure it's unlocked if needed.

On a last note, the only way to send a text/SMS message over a carrier network would be to have carrier service (irrespective of WiFi). Presumably, he's using one of the messenger apps (WhatsApp), etc, to send messages over their platform/app which only requires a data/wifi connection.

Last, last note: Your choice in carriers may be more constrained than you think - we tried using tmobile in my house, but while service was good on the edge of the neighborhood/outside, it sucked for us in our home which just doesn't really work. Ended up using AT&T.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Same here.
    Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by 106459 View Post
    There are two different technologies used on how cell phones work: GSM and CDMA. The major difference is that GSM uses SIM cards and CDMA does not - the technologies are incompatible with one another.

In the US these two technologies compete, and there is AT&T (GSM) vs. Verizon (CDMA), with the "discount" competition being Tmobile vs. Sprint (GSM v CDMA).

Unlocking a phone is entirely different, that's when a phone is purchased through a carrier and is locked to only their network (common when phones were subsidized and under contract). Nowadays I believe most phones are purchased at full price, I'm not sure how many come unlocked by default, or if you have to call the carrier and have it done -- I buy very few phones (1 smartphone total, haha), but unlocking shouldn't be a very big deal.

Also to note, there are very few phones that are manufactured with both technologies, but they do exist (newer iPhones and the Nexus 5, 6).

To answer the other questions -- you can buy any SIM card and they work on SIM card phones (it's all GSM). Not to confuse things, there are different sizes of SIM cards (which the carrier could immediately look up/give the proper size), its only affect is the size of the card/fitting in the phone itself. However, it sounds like this doesn't apply to your phone since it's probably CDMA (no SIM card).

--I don't know the process for switching CDMA carriers, it's not an unheard of thing and I'm sure it's relatively simple, involving taking your phone into a shop and having them set it up. Just check the phone to see if it's branded to a specific carrier (Verizon/Sprint) on it (probably needs unlocking), and ensure it's unlocked if needed.

On a last note, the only way to send a text/SMS message over a carrier network would be to have carrier service (irrespective of WiFi). Presumably, he's using one of the messenger apps (WhatsApp), etc, to send messages over their platform/app which only requires a data/wifi connection.

Last, last note: Your choice in carriers may be more constrained than you think - we tried using tmobile in my house, but while service was good on the edge of the neighborhood/outside, it sucked for us in our home which just doesn't really work. Ended up using AT&T.
    Thanks so very much. I really mean that - it took a long time for you to type that out and it was truly informative.

Yes, there is a way.

Unfortunately, I don't understand it.

$60 gift results in a number of people wasting their time. The value of total time wasted far exceeds the value of the phone.

My son's friend gave him a Galaxy S3 phone. It has no sim card. He uses it to store music and he can text people when he has wifi. Is there a way (or a wrong / right way) to make this a working phone? Can I buy a sim card and make it work? Do i have to use a sim card from a certain company? And if so how do I know which company?
    Usually when you turn it on, it displays the logo of the original carrier.

Want dirt cheap service? Check out Pageplus if it's a Verizon phone, Ting if it's a Sprint phone.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Usually when you turn it on, it displays the logo of the original carrier.

Want dirt cheap service? Check out Pageplus if it's a Verizon phone, Ting if it's a Sprint phone.
    It is a Verizon phone.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    $60 gift results in a number of people wasting their time. The value of total time wasted far exceeds the value of the phone.
    Not to me.

You can take the phone to Walmart and see if it's compatible with straight talk. If so, you can buy an air card (like Tracphone) and you might need a SIM card but I think they're only a few bucks and then it can be used like a prepaid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    You can take the phone to Walmart and see if it's compatible with straight talk. If so, you can buy an air card (like Tracphone) and you might need a SIM card but I think they're only a few bucks and then it can be used like a prepaid.
    I think it's still locked but Verizon has a bring your own phone prepaid plan so I think that might work.

I think it's still locked but Verizon has a bring your own phone prepaid plan so I think that might work.
    I thought that once a phone contract was ended they had to unlock the phone. When my Verizon contract ended, I called to cancel my service and unlock my phone and that's what the lady told me. I may have misunderstood. I ended up signing another contract with them because they let me use my upgrade to get a phone for my kids and the bill for both phones was much cheaper than my single phone plan. I have iphones, btw, so that might be the difference, too.

I would take it to the Verizon store and ask them to unlock it and see what they say. If Verizon gives good coverage in your area, then buy their PAYGo plan because for the least data, it looks as cheap or cheaper than the straight talk. If it's a smartphone, I don't think you can buy a PAYGo plan for as cheap as a dumb phone. It's my understanding that you can't buy a plan for a smartphone that doesn't include data, btw.

He could possibly install a Skype app and use Skype where there's WiFi but that has obvious drawbacks.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I thought that once a phone contract was ended they had to unlock the phone. When my Verizon contract ended, I called to cancel my service and unlock my phone and that's what the lady told me. I may have misunderstood. I ended up signing another contract with them because they let me use my upgrade to get a phone for my kids and the bill for both phones was much cheaper than my single phone plan. I have iphones, btw, so that might be the difference, too.

I would take it to the Verizon store and ask them to unlock it and see what they say. If Verizon gives good coverage in your area, then buy their PAYGo plan because for the least data, it looks as cheap or cheaper than the straight talk. If it's aTa smartphone that doesn't include data, btw.

He could possibly install a Skype app and use Skype where there's WiFi but that has obvious drawbacks.
    I am going to make him call because i hate talking to people but I hope you're right. Tracfone works pretty good out here. I have heard that ATT and Sprint do not.

I am going to make him call because i hate talking to people but I hope you're right. Tracfone works pretty good out here. I have heard that ATT and Sprint do not.
    Tracfone works great everywhere. It works better than Verizon in my house and ATT didn't work at all in my house - I had to stand in the driveway. You might be in an area with verizon towers.

Here's a link to a coverage map if you're interested

https://opensignal.com/network-coverage-maps/

Tracfone works great everywhere. It works better than Verizon in my house and ATT didn't work at all in my house - I had to stand in the driveway. You might be in an area with verizon towers.

Here's a link to a coverage map if you're interested

https://opensignal.com/network-coverage-maps/
    Never had any trouble with Tracfone. Sprint was horrible. My store has bad reception in the rear, so when I hear phones ring back there I always try to ask what carrier they're using and it's usually Verizon.

I just like Tracfone because its cheap for me. I rarely use my phone. I just need it for running credit cards via Square.

The amount of native advertising going on in this thread is mind boggling.

It is a Verizon phone.
    You're in luck. Activate it with these guys. Look at the prices.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Wow! Great prices. I wish I had known about them.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I spend about 100 a year on my Tracfone. $30 a month is more than I want to spend.

I spend about 100 a year on my Tracfone. $30 a month is more than I want to spend.
    I just checked the Tracphone prices and it'll be 15.00 per month with them. I didn't realize they offered such cheap Smartphone plans. BTW, you will probably have to buy a smartphone plan even if you don't want the data. When I shopped for my phone, I didn't want data but I wanted a phone and mp3 all in one. I wanted to be able to go for a run and not carry a phone & music player. Mr Animal doesn't like me to run without my phone. Anyway, I had to buy data I didn't want. Even with two phones sharing data on my plan we don't come close to the two g's a month I'm paying for and one user is a (very responsible) teenager.

I just checked the Tracphone prices and it'll be 15.00 per month with them. I didn't realize they offered such cheap Smartphone plans. BTW, you will probably have to buy a smartphone plan even if you don't want the data. When I shopped for my phone, I didn't want data but I wanted a phone and mp3 all in one. I wanted to be able to go for a run and not carry a phone & music player. Mr Animal doesn't like me to run without my phone. Anyway, I had to buy data I didn't want. Even with two phones sharing data on my plan we don't come close to the two g's a month I'm paying for and one user is a (very responsible) teenager.
    I have a smartphone because I use it to process credit cards. I do not have a monthly plan I just pay as I go. According to my history the last time I ran out of minutes was in Oct 2015. Now I have about 2500 built up because I get more every time I have to add time. Being an introvert has advantages I guess.

I have a smartphone because I use it to process credit cards. I do not have a monthly plan I just pay as I go. According to my history the last time I ran out of minutes was in Oct 2015. Now I have about 2500 built up because I get more every time I have to add time. Being an introvert has advantages I guess.
    Oh, wow. I didn't know you could pay as you go with a smartphone. Dang it! I'm not an introvert but only family, few close friends, and a few select telemarketers have my cell number. I actually added their number in my contacts as telemarketers so I would know it wasn't someone important calling from a number I didn't recognize. I don't want to get random calls when I'm out. The people who matter most know I only want to talk on it if it's an emergency. Personally, I think it's rude to go around chit chatting and texting on them. As a matter of fact, I quit meeting one acquaintance for lunch because she would sit there and text and post on FB the whole time. WTF? They were drinking lunches and I know I'm more entertaining than that damn phone.

Since my simple plan did not work, here is another option to consider:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfone...?skuId=4596900
    https://www.amazon.com/TracFone-Brin.../dp/B014X62KUE

But I would keep in mind that it's possible (likely, in my mind) that the reason you didn't qualify for the solution I suggested is because the phone's IMEI is still locked up by the phone's previous carrier, and that may need to be taken care of before any new carrier, including TracFone, can move forward.

Once you get that cleared up, though (if need be), this SIM card kit should be what you need. The microSIM, specifically, is the one you need.

I use what is sometimes called a "prepaid" phone plan by Ting. I basically use my phone as a phone and even at that not very often. Bill is based on useage. Mine is never over $20 a month. You can get service from either Sprint or Verizon. This month was about $13. https://ting.com/rates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast