Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Washington Kills 230 Civilians in Mosul Overnight - Where's the Outrage?

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Instead he's [Trump has] doubled down on the failed Obama strategy of "helping the moderate rebels."

He's helped the SDF which is composed primarily of Kurds in the north. But I haven't read anything saying he's continued the cia's arming/training/funding of the anti-Assad rebels in the rest of the country. In fact, I believe Trump ended that program:

Trump administration instructs CIA to halt support for anti-Assad rebels in Syria

Can you provide a link discussing that he re-started this program? Don't get me wrong: I am not happy with the continued U.S. aggression abroad, now under Trump; but I've seen no evidence of Obama's anti-assad program of arming "moderate rebels" (which pretty much caused the so-called "civil war") being re-started.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    He's helped the SDF which is composed primarily of Kurds in the north. But I haven't read anything saying he's continued the cia's arming/training/funding of the anti-Assad rebels in the rest of the country. In fact, I believe Trump ended that program:

Trump administration instructs CIA to halt support for anti-Assad rebels in Syria

Can you provide a link discussing that he re-started this program? Don't get me wrong: I am not happy with the continued U.S. aggression abroad, now under Trump; but I've seen no evidence of Obama's anti-assad program of arming "moderate rebels" (which pretty much caused the so-called "civil war") being re-started.
    Uhhhh...... maybe listen to Ron Paul? Trump & Co. are arming 2 different sides that are fighting each other.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ation-In-Syria
    There is no spoon.

Saudi Arabia supports the anti-Assad rebels. We provide arms to Saudi Arabia.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Surely you are not suggesting that it's ok to kill people who are related to ISIS wackos??
    Killing Taliban wackos and their families helped create more ISIS wackos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Uhhhh...... maybe listen to Ron Paul? Trump & Co. are arming 2 different sides that are fighting each other.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ation-In-Syria

The question is the cia program of directly arming/training/funding the anti-assad so-called 'moderate forces': i think he ended that (see my link given above). It may re-start, but i don't believe that it has restarted (although i may be wrong). At least i have seen no news articles stating that Trump restarted that program.

Re: the RP video: This video was mostly about the addition of U.S. forces to the mess in Syria, not re-starting obama's program of the cia training/arming anti-assad rebels. Also, it wasn't Ron Paul but rather Daniel McAdams who stated the situation in Manbij at the beginning of the video then elaborated on that later in the video. At the beginning he mis-spoke but later, when he elaborated on Manbij he corrected himself and stated that we sent in rangers to separate the U.S. backed kurdish forces from the Turkish backed forces.

Daniel also conjectured that the U.S. military may give Raqqa to "moderate rebels" after the U.S. military obtains that land, but at this point that is only conjecture without any proof.
    Last edited by charrob; 03-27-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Saudi Arabia supports the anti-Assad rebels. We provide arms to Saudi Arabia.
    That is true. But my question was on the direct training/arming/funding of anti-assad rebels by the cia. That program, as far as i have seen, was cancelled by Trump at the beginning of his administration.

I follow antiwar.com regularly and believe Jason Ditz would have had an article on that if that program was re-started. But at least up till now I've seen no evidence that program was restarted. If I have missed an article stating this program was re-started, I'd be most obliged if you would provide a link.
    Last edited by charrob; 03-27-2017 at 03:41 PM.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That is true. But my question was on the direct training/arming/funding of anti-assad rebels by the cia. That program, as far as i have seen, was cancelled by Trump at the beginning of his administration.

I follow antiwar.com regularly and believe Jason Ditz would have had an article on that if that program was re-started. But at least up till now I've seen no evidence that program was restarted. If I have missed an article stating this program was re-started, I'd be most obliged if you would provide a link.
    The new forces he is sending in are supposed to be aiding Syrian rebels though ostensibly against ISIS, not Assad. http://observer.com/2017/03/dennis-k...ops-war-syria/

For the duration of the war in Syria, which began in 2011, the United States’ involvement has been limited to drone strikes and airstrikes, supplemented with special forces operations. Under the Trump administration, U.S. involvement is quietly escalating with the announcement that another 400 heavily armed marines will be deployed to Syria. The Washington Post reported on March 8, “The deployment marks a new escalation in the U.S. war in Syria, and puts more conventional U.S. troops in the battle. Several hundred Special Operations troops have advised local forces there for months, but the Pentagon has mostly shied away from using conventional forces in Syria. The new mission comes as the Trump administration weighs a plan to help Syrian rebels take back Raqqa, the de facto capital of the Islamic State. The plan also includes more Special Operations troops and attack helicopters.” On March 15, the Washington Post reported that the Trump administration planned to deploy 1,000 more troops to Syria in the coming weeks.

The question is the cia program of directly arming/training/funding the anti-assad so-called 'moderate forces': i think he ended that (see my link given above). It may re-start, but i don't believe that it has restarted (although i may be wrong). At least i have seen no news articles stating that Trump restarted that program.

Re: the RP video: This video was mostly about the addition of U.S. forces to the mess in Syria, not re-starting obama's program of the cia training/arming anti-assad rebels. Also, it wasn't Ron Paul but rather Daniel McAdams who stated the situation in Manbij at the beginning of the video then elaborated on that later in the video. At the beginning he mis-spoke but later, when he elaborated on Manbij he corrected himself and stated that we sent in rangers to separate the U.S. backed kurdish forces from the Turkish backed forces.

Daniel also conjectured that the U.S. military may give Raqqa to "moderate rebels" after the U.S. military obtains that land, but at this point that is only conjecture without any proof.
    Trump has given droning powers to CIA:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...rump+power+CIA
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Trump has given droning powers to CIA:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...rump+power+CIA
    Yes I know, and that's really bad. But my question in particular was about the cia program of directly training/arming/funding anti-assad rebels in Syria. That program in particular (i think) ended a couple months ago.

I follow antiwar.com regularly and believe Jason Ditz would have had an article on that if that program was re-started. But at least up till now I've seen no evidence that program was restarted.
    Good question. I'd love to know. I hope you're right.

The more Deep State-obsessed trump supporters would say trump has little ability to control anything about the CIA (after a year of telling us he's going to take the wrecking ball to them). As Ender notes, trump has given the CIA expanded control of the execution of the drone program. It would be interesting if he were expanding their scope in some ways and restricting it in others. As far as anybody can tell he's letting the CIA do what they want.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The new forces he is sending in are supposed to be aiding Syrian rebels though ostensibly against ISIS, not Assad. http://observer.com/2017/03/dennis-k...ops-war-syria/

Right, and that's been the breakdown for years: Obama had the pentagon train rebels that fought isis while he had the cia train rebels that fought assad. My understanding is that Trump stopped the cia's direct program of training/arming/funding the anti-assad rebels.

Trump may restart that program (who knows as he's all over the map with his policy views). But at least for now (i think) the cia's program has ended.

Right, and that's been the breakdown for years: Obama had the pentagon train rebels that fought isis while he had the cia train rebels that fought assad. My understanding is that Trump stopped the cia's direct program of training/arming/funding the anti-assad rebels.

Trump may restart that program (who knows as he's all over the map with his policy views). But at least for now (i think) the cia's program has ended.
    Also doesn't rule out training and funding them in other ways than by using the CIA for it.

Good question. I'd love to know. I hope you're right.

The more Deep State-obsessed trump supporters would say trump has little ability to control anything about the CIA (after a year of telling us he's going to take the wrecking ball to them). As Ender notes, trump has given the CIA expanded control of the execution of the drone program. It would be interesting if he were expanding their scope in some ways and restricting it in others. As far as anybody can tell he's letting the CIA do what they want.

Right. I think the difference is that the purpose of Trump's expansion (at least so far) has been to destroy isis while Obama wanted to destroy both isis and assad.

Will Trump eventually decide "Assad must go"? That's anybody's guess... but at least for now it appears there is an end to the U.S. proxy war against Assad's forces in Syria (and by extension an end to the U.S./Russia proxy war).
    Last edited by charrob; 03-27-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Also doesn't rule out training and funding them in other ways than by using the CIA for it.

So you are saying the pentagon is now directly training anti-assad rebel forces who are fighting the Syrian military?

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Surely you are not suggesting that it's ok to kill people who are related to ISIS wackos??
    Of course not. I'm saying Trump is doing what he promised in the campaign. That's because during the campaign Trump was all over the map. And that's part of the reason why I don't support Trump. He's not trustworthy.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

So you are saying the pentagon is now directly training anti-assad rebel forces who are fighting the Syrian military?
    Couldn't say for sure. They are training and arming rebels- who could potentially fight against both Assad and ISIS. ISIS is the stated target but missions can tend to creep in initially undesired directions. What will happen when US supported rebel troops come face to face with Russian backed Syrian forces on the battlefield as they eventually will? I don't think we should do anything in Syria. We are just complicating things there.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    Loser mindset: US needs to care about Iraqis.

MAGA mindset: Trump is kicking ass left and right domestically. Will kick ass foreign policy wise when it is time to work on it.
    Libertarian mindset. The U.S. needs to minds its own business and let the Iraqis continue what they were doing before Trump got elected which is kicking ISIS but without any assistance from us.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

In helping the Kurds he is putting the U.S. on a crash course with NATO ally Turkey.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/21/...-trump-turkey/

Why not let Russia/Turkey and Syria handle ISIS? Trump said during the campaign he would do that...before saying the exact opposite.

In helping the Kurds he is putting the U.S. on a crash course with NATO ally Turkey.

Why not let Russia/Turkey and Syria handle ISIS? Trump said during the campaign he would do that...before saying the exact opposite.
    Kurds have been one of the few effective fighting forces and governments in the region. When things in Iraq collapsed, they were the only stable part of the country. They have also been one of the most effective against ISIS.

Well yes of course I totally agree with you on this.

True, but the Syrian military has completely cut off Turkey in the northern aleppo province from coming any further south. It may be reading tea leaves, but Trump had to choose one way or the other: go with the Kurds, or go with Turkey. And it completely appears that he has chosen the Kurds who now almost have Raqqa surrounded. And, yes, Erdogan was pissed... he stated he was. Especially after Trump put in rangers in Manbij to stop Erdogan's attack on that city.

I detest Erdogan so am glad his invasion of Syria has (at least for now) been stopped. The question is how aggressive the kurds will be after taking Raqqa: will they want to keep all this territory? And that's where the real negotiating (and hopefully not war) will begin is when isis is defeated. I think Erdogan and Turkey is out (which is a good thing); i think the U.S. proxy war against Assad is out (at least for now) and by extension the U.S. proxy war with Russia is out (at least for now). But the Kurds want an autonomous or federalized state: will Assad allow this? The big questions really come after isis is defeated.
    Last edited by charrob; 03-27-2017 at 05:10 PM.

after isis is defeated.
    You lost me there.

Kurds have been one of the few effective fighting forces and governments in the region. When things in Iraq collapsed, they were the only stable part of the country. They have also been one of the most effective against ISIS.
    I wasn't questioning their effectiveness. I was questioning the wisdom of getting in between the Kurds and a fight with NATO ally Turkey in Syria. Note that Syria is not Iraq.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well yes of course I totally agree with you on this.

True, but the Syrian military has completely cut off Turkey in the northern aleppo province from coming any further south. It may be reading tea leaves, but Trump had to choose one way or the other: go with the Kurds, or go with Turkey. And it completely appears that he has chosen the Kurds who now almost have Raqqa surrounded. And, yes, Erdogan was pissed... he stated he was. Especially after Trump put in rangers in Manbij to stop Erdogan's attack on that city.

I detest Erdogan so am glad his invasion of Syria has (at least for now) been stopped. The question is how aggressive the kurds will be after taking Raqqa: will they want to keep all this territory? And that's where the real negotiating (and hopefully not war) will begin is when isis is defeated. I think Erdogan and Turkey is out (which is a good thing); i think the U.S. proxy war against Assad is out (at least for now) and by extension the U.S. proxy war with Russia is out (at least for now). But the Kurds want an autonomous or federalized state: will Assad allow this? The big questions really come after isis is defeated.
    I guarantee that what comes after ISIS is defeated will be a big stinking mess that won't be cleaned up for decades.

You lost me there.
    sorry i don't understand. Here was i think the sentence you are referring to:

I detest Erdogan so am glad his invasion of Syria has (at least for now) been stopped. The question is how aggressive the kurds will be after taking Raqqa: will they want to keep all this territory? And that's where the real negotiating (and hopefully not war) will begin is when isis is defeated.
    So the question is what happens after isis is defeated in raqqa? The Kurds presently have almost all territory surrounding raqqa east of the Euphrates, and over the weekend they have now taken territory surrounding raqqa west of the Euphrates. So pretty much the kurds, backed by the U.S., will be taking raqqa. Turkey (and their so-called 'moderate rebels' -- ie. ahrar al sham, fsa, al-zinki, etc.) is completely out of the loop and unable to go further south. So the big question is: what happens to this territory after isis is defeated in raqqa? I think that's where the real war or (more hopefully) the real negotiating will come in.

I guarantee that what comes after ISIS is defeated will be a big stinking mess that won't be cleaned up for decades.

Sadly you are probably right. So much wish this wasn't so.

Trump had to choose one way or the other: go with the Kurds, or go with Turkey.
    You can't see any other potential options besides these two?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    You can't see any other potential options besides these two?

As i stated in the same post you are referring, do nothing and letting Syria/Russia/Iran free Raqqa of isis is of course the best solution.

But since Trump has it in his mind to take part in the 'liberation' of Raqqa from isis, then Trump has a number of options, however it was one of those two options that were obviously going to be chosen. Other options would have had more pushback by the American people and the MSM. For example: working with Russia would have had the russophobes in the MSM going ballistic 24/7. Having all U.S. troops invade without local help would have had more pushback from military families and congress. Re-starting Obama's cia program of backing al qaeda linked "rebels" was not something Trump was going to do. The kurds were already close by wanting to partner with the U.S. in this invasion; the Turks also wanted this partnership. So, yes of course there were other options, but those 2 were obviously the predominant options that made the most sense for American participation in the invasion of raqqa considering all political factors.

Re-starting Obama's cia program of backing al qaeda linked "rebels" was not something Trump was going to do.
    Why is this axiomatic? trump is giving the CIA carte blanche about droning. Why wouldn't he be giving them free reign in other areas too, outside of public purview?

No matter what news story you've read, it's hardly like the CIA suddenly stopped tinkering in Middle East affairs when trump took office.

Why is this axiomatic?
    It's axiomatic because Trump ended the official cia program that trained/armed/funded al qaeda linked rebels. That program was official. Congress gave funding for that program during the Obama administration. I remember writing my congressman asking him to vote not to fund that program. Trump ended it:

trump is giving the CIA carte blanche about droning. Why wouldn't he be giving them free reign in other areas too, outside of public purview? No matter what news story you've read, it's hardly like the CIA suddenly stopped tinkering in Middle East affairs when trump took office.
    The official program was ended. Is Trump lying to the media and congress that this program has ended (like Reagan did during Iran/Contra) and funding the cia through some other sources? I don't know, but the official program funded by congress has been ended. Is the CIA going behind Trump's back and continuing the program with some other funding? I don't know; it sure wouldn't surprise me given the reputation of the CIA. But officially that program and it's funding has ended.

You asked: Why would Trump give the CIA carte blanche about droning but not about training al qaeda linked rebels? I don't know. A possibility could be that Trump, unlike Obama and the democrats, doesn't want to overthrow Assad and increase tensions with Russia. Maybe he justs wants to get rid of isis and then get out of Syria. Maybe he's uncomfortable training al qaeda linked rebels. Or maybe he hasn't made up his mind yet whether he wants to overthrow Assad or not. I don't know what his reasons are. But as far as i've seen, the official program has ended. He may re-start it; who knows? But at least for now, from what i have seen, it's ended.

sorry i don't understand. Here was i think the sentence you are referring to:

So the question is what happens after isis is defeated in raqqa? The Kurds presently have almost all territory surrounding raqqa east of the Euphrates, and over the weekend they have now taken territory surrounding raqqa west of the Euphrates. So pretty much the kurds, backed by the U.S., will be taking raqqa. Turkey (and their so-called 'moderate rebels' -- ie. ahrar al sham, fsa, al-zinki, etc.) is completely out of the loop and unable to go further south. So the big question is: what happens to this territory after isis is defeated in raqqa? I think that's where the real war or (more hopefully) the real negotiating will come in.
    Raqqa is about OIL. And we all know where Trump is on that.
    There is no spoon.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast