Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Just don't bring your cell phone!

Meh, I only use it for emergencies. Surprisingly, I'm not one of those people.

And it is a free wine tasting, after all. Mr Animal was shocked when I told him I might not go, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One of the major problems I have with online shopping is that the money doesn't stay local. Even in a retail chain, some of the money stays local to pay the workers in the store. Not so with online shopping. I hate to see what's happened in the gutting of American retail: department stores, bookstores, hundreds of chains out of business, and independents unable to survive. It'll be hard for my children to find part-time jobs when it comes time for them to earn some money.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    One of the major problems I have with online shopping is that the money doesn't stay local. Even in a retail chain, some of the money stays local to pay the workers in the store. Not so with online shopping. I hate to see what's happened in the gutting of American retail: department stores, bookstores, hundreds of chains out of business, and independents unable to survive. It'll be hard for my children to find part-time jobs when it comes time for them to earn some money.
    It doesn't matter. Local retailers will find something else to do. If online shopping is more productive, it's ultimately better for everyone. It's the same, flawed "automation is bad" argument.

I had my retail side shut down by Amazon 2003ish........

They were selling Portercable tools to the public for the same money I could buy a pallet full to try and resell..Delta and Powermatic same thing....

About the time American tool manufacturers started importing they started mass-merchandising too....

Other industries have all gone the same way...

Retailing foreign $#@! is just the tail end of the problem....

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    That's what's happening around here. The traditional mall stores (the smaller ones) are opening up in nicer versions of strip malls. Most of them have some nice restaurants and a theater close by. Which, btw, have really gotten nice. They turned the "old" one near us into a $2.00 theater for stale movies and the new one has recliners and a bar. Pretty sweet set up.
    Same here. We had a huge outdoor mall built a few years ago. I just noticed the other day that they are bulldozing the old indoor mall.

When were indoor malls invented? 30 years ago maybe? I went the entire life cycle of indoor malls without hardly ever setting foot in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Same here. We had a huge outdoor mall built a few years ago. I just noticed the other day that they are bulldozing the old indoor mall.

When were indoor malls invented? 30 years ago maybe? I went the entire life cycle of indoor malls without hardly ever setting foot in one.
    Longer than that. I think the mall culture peaked in the early-mid 1980's but they were around way before then. The mall I grew up with opened in 1959 and it's one of the few left in Atlanta that's still strong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenox_Square
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

It doesn't matter. Local retailers will find something else to do. If online shopping is more productive, it's ultimately better for everyone.
    I don't buy that. "It's better for everyone" is a crappy argument. "Local retailers will find something else to do" coldly ignores the fact that real people are being driven out of business to push a global economy. If my kids can't find a part-time job outside of fast food, that's a problem.

It's the same, flawed "automation is bad" argument.
    Wasn't part of the automation argument that it would save lives by making people more safe? So that they didn't have to work in unsafe factories? In the case of retail jobs, just who is being protected from unsafe working conditions?

Kids working in stores selling goods their parents made is how this country was built...

Kids working in stores selling goods some of their parents unload from ships isn't an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Kids working in stores selling goods their parents made is how this country was built...

Kids working in stores selling goods some of their parents unload from ships isn't an improvement.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tod evans again.

I had my retail side shut down by Amazon 2003ish........

They were selling Portercable tools to the public for the same money I could buy a pallet full to try and resell..Delta and Powermatic same thing....

About the time American tool manufacturers started importing they started mass-merchandising too....

Other industries have all gone the same way...

Retailing foreign $#@! is just the tail end of the problem....
    Well, and it doesn't help that our gov is subsidizing Amazon, to the tune of billions of dollars a year... which Amazon then uses to drive locals out of business.

I don't buy that. "It's better for everyone" is a crappy argument. "Local retailers will find something else to do" coldly ignores the fact that real people are being driven out of business to push a global economy. If my kids can't find a part-time job outside of fast food, that's a problem.

Wasn't part of the automation argument that it would save lives by making people more safe? So that they didn't have to work in unsafe factories? In the case of retail jobs, just who is being protected from unsafe working conditions?
    I'm exhausted from arguing against protectionism the last few weeks. Just name one country that improved its standard of living by switching to a more protectionist economy.

Here's a good article about what happened when the Philippines switched from a free trade to protectionist economy. They went being one of the richest to one of the poorest countries in the far east.

http://reason.com/archives/1994/06/0...two-countries/
    Last edited by Madison320; 03-28-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Hey guys, it's "ultimately better for everyone" if millions of brick and mortar businesses go out of business! Then everyone can get a great job doing... um...

That's the problem with people who will tell you it "doesn't matter" if millions of people have been driven out of business. "They'll find something else", they bleat. What exactly that is they don't mention. They'll minimize the problem, saying they rarely set foot in a mall; of course, most retail establishments were never in malls to begin with.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm exhausted from arguing against protectionism the last few weeks. Just name one country that improved its standard of living by switching to a more protectionist economy.
    Protectionism is government stopping local people from killing and looting foreigners who would infringe on their livelihood.

Not as you would argue.....

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Meh, I only use it for emergencies. Surprisingly, I'm not one of those people. .
    No, I know. Writing, I was thinking of your story of your friend who kept fiddling with here phone the whole time she was supposed to be eating lunch with you. Oh, what have we come to?

Protectionism is government stopping local people from killing and looting foreigners who would infringe on their livelihood.

Not as you would argue.....
    In this case your use of the word infringe means "by offering a better product".

Just tell me where this has ever worked.

In this case your use of the word infringe means "by offering a better product".

Beverly Hills, Monaco, Switzerland, etc ....

"by offering a better product".
    That is a key.

Because, interestingly, for the most part offshoring does not offer a better product than historically.

That's not the whole problem, though. American-made products began seriously declining in quality, too, decades ago.

So, it's just been a race to the bottom. And people have adjusted to that reality. No one expects to buy a product once and keep it for years. They expect everything to be junk. They know -- they know -- by experience that it will be. And so the entire economy has rearranged itself around this reality.

Now, to re-rearrange it back to sanity, is shutting the doors on imports the whole solution? Would that do it? Just as you say, Madison320: definitely not.

The big thing that needs to happen is:

Start offering a better product!

As a nation, start making high-quality products again!

That, my friends, is the solution.

Incidentally, it is the solution for retail as well. Offer a better product. Hire better people. Refuse to hire surly people, refuse to hire morons. Design better policies and procedures. Make shopping a joy. Make the experience a thing of beauty.

You know whose brick and mortar retail stores are not failing? Ironically, a computer company's: Apple. Who else is doing very well? Chick-Fil-A. Menards. These companies cracked the nut and figured out the secret. It's not exactly new and it's not exactly a secret, but here it is again:

Offer a better product!

No my use of the word "infringe" doesn't mean what you say.

Why would you advocate for a government that protects importers and retailers over manufacturers?

I advocate for no government intervention.

The mall parking lot here is usually barren.. occasionally there are a few senior buses getting their group walks where it's air conditioned.. too hot to get seniors out for a walk most of the year here
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hire better people. Refuse to hire surly people, refuse to hire morons.
    EEO/quotas........

[edit]

This fine person must be given equal value in your hearing aid store;

And these fine folks may scream racism if you don't hire them in your pew manufacturing business;

Last edited by tod evans; 03-28-2017 at 11:06 AM.

I have great products and great prices and will continue to prosper . I sell nothing on the net .
    Do something Danke

Our temperaments have definitely changed, quantifiably, and this is one of the manifestations. People are less social. More loners. Tons of factors that have caused this -- interstate highway system, higher education serving as a siphon to suck talent out of towns and into metros, a massive incoming peasant migration from places with very, very alien cultures, and government policies actively destroying and subsuming the role of family and church. All of which adds up to the reality that: Today, you probably do not relate to and share lots in common with your immediate neighbors. You feel no particular affinity towards them. You are a stranger on your own street. You don't have a shared life experience. You don't wake up at the same time in the morning and walk to the same job. You don't have barbecues together. Your kids don't walk to and from school together. You don't see each other at church every week.

You have a closer emotional connection with Conan O-Brien and the characters in the Game of Thrones than you do with anyone whose house you can see out your window. Far closer.

This is a bizarre situation, precedented by previous civilization collapses, but probably never to this extent. People don't like going out. Even to go shopping. When they are out they're on their geejaw. People are recluses. Non-social and anti-social. It's introversion rigorized and systematized.

We are social...just differently social. Thank the interwebs. We can stop being social by hitting the escape key. Not so easy to escape your busy body neighbor. Going shopping where I live, in the middle of a large city, involves traffic and having to be on your guard. Not to mention having to deal with crowds. So yeah..it's a trade off. That being said, the malls here are okay for now, although they are giving way to the outdoor shopping/entertainment centers.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 03-28-2017 at 01:21 PM.

No my use of the word "infringe" doesn't mean what you say.

Why would you advocate for a government that protects importers and retailers over manufacturers?

I advocate for no government intervention.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have great products and great prices and will continue to prosper . I sell nothing on the net .
    My product is me, my price is a steal. I sell nothing on the internet either. I am, however, thinking in another 20 yrs. I might have to try a different approach.

Sears and Kmart also had auto shops. Amazon can't cover that.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    https://getwrench.com/

They just raised $4 million.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Auto repair places and dealers are doing fine, sales and revenue wise.

The problem affecting Sears and Kmart isn't 'the retail apocalypse.' It's that nobody likes Sears and Kmart. They failed to adapt, and they're paying for it. Nobody calls Radio Shack's bankruptcies 'the electronic apocalypse' or assumes that sales of electronics are down because Radio Shack is doing poorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I really prefer kmart to walmarx
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I really prefer kmart to walmarx
    I always liked it better. Mostly because it was easier and quicker to get in and out . We no longer have Sears and Kmart nearby . I do not really use walmart, worst service ever.
    Do something Danke

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast