Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Let's stop trying to prevent millions of new retail shoppers from coming here from other countries then.
    We don't want them in our malls. They might buy something, decrease supply and drive prices up for regular working Americans. And THE STENCH!
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    We don't want them in our malls. They might buy something, decrease supply and drive prices up for regular working Americans. And THE STENCH!
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to undergroundrr again."

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    They're not my malls!

Let's stop trying to prevent millions of new retail shoppers from coming here from other countries then.
    I would put malls in the wall , make a killing .lol
    Do something Danke

The alt-right probably thinks that malls work the same way they think the labor market works, which means that if there's more people in the country, then stores will run out of things for Real Americans to buy because it'll all be bought by no-good dirty immigrants/tourists instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The alt-right probably thinks that malls work the same way they think the labor market works, which means that if there's more people in the country, then stores will run out of things for Real Americans to buy because it'll all be bought by no-good dirty immigrants/tourists instead.
    This is where NIMBY comes to play.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    They're not my malls!
    Muh malls

There are so few Real Americans left , I doubt they even shop in malls.
    Do something Danke

Lets stop preventing millions of current retail shoppers from being able to spend their own money - end the income tax.

Let's stop millions of retail sellers from being forced to charge higher prices - end the income tax.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Lets stop preventing millions of current retail shoppers from being able to spend their own money - end the income tax.

Let's stop millions of retail sellers from being forced to charge higher prices - end the income tax.
    The problem is competition- it is easier and usually cheaper to shop online. Or at Walmart.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post

It's not either/or. We should do all of the above.

I'm glad there is a Frye's electronics near my house. Their prices are generally as good as online, and sometimes I decide I need something, I just want to go to a store and get it..

It's also a reason to get out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    They will use all these bricks and mortar to build the wall. All part of the 33D chess plan...
    Lots of available FEMA camp structures too.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I would put malls in the wall , make a killing .lol
    You could call it WallMart.

The only time I go to a retail store is to check out something I am thinking about buying online before I buy it.

I am going to a store today to buy a new Speed Queen washing machine . As much as it costs it should be Speed King .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    I'm glad there is a Frye's electronics near my house. Their prices are generally as good as online, and sometimes I decide I need something, I just want to go to a store and get it..

It's also a reason to get out of the house.
    That's great to know! I wouldn't mind picking up a Marantz 4270 or Sansui 9090DB. I need another pair of Polk SDA-series speakers, too. How's their vinyl selection?
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

This might be the time to get into the demolition racket. Seriously. If thousands of malls are going to go the way of the dodo, and it now appears to be a distinct possibility, something will have to be done with all that real estate. I suppose they could all just be left to rot, but there are problems with that non-solution, not the least of which is liability for towns that leave such rotting hulks on place where less-desirables congregate and "innocent" children get hurt, or worse.

The tax loss to cities and other communities stand to be large, which is possibly a good thing because those entities either get seriously hurt (good) or they put the heavy screws to the rest of the property owners, which may be good in the longer run - though I doubt it - in that if things get bad enough, people might come to their senses...

NAAAAAAAAHHHHH...

I admit I find this all very fascinating, particularly how well the instinct for self-preservation appears to have been so deeply suppressed in the average man. This frogs-in-a-pot thing really does work, it seems.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am going to a store today to buy a new Speed Queen washing machine . As much as it costs it should be Speed King .
    But that would be raycis against gaymosekshuls. Someone is going to report you, mark my words.

Now, had you suggested it be called "Speed Screaming Queen", you may have escaped the knotty fate that surely awaits you.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You could call it WallMart.
    <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    This might be the time to get into the demolition racket. Seriously. If thousands of malls are going to go the way of the dodo, and it now appears to be a distinct possibility, something will have to be done with all that real estate. I suppose they could all just be left to rot, but there are problems with that non-solution, not the least of which is liability for towns that leave such rotting hulks on place where less-desirables congregate and "innocent" children get hurt, or worse.

The tax loss to cities and other communities stand to be large, which is possibly a good thing because those entities either get seriously hurt (good) or they put the heavy screws to the rest of the property owners, which may be good in the longer run - though I doubt it - in that if things get bad enough, people might come to their senses...

NAAAAAAAAHHHHH...

I admit I find this all very fascinating, particularly how well the instinct for self-preservation appears to have been so deeply suppressed in the average man. This frogs-in-a-pot thing really does work, it seems.
    A large mall went defunct in my area a few years ago. The city spent many millions to buy the property, with the promise of it being converted into a movie studio, park area, etc. Lots of big promises by city council. The only thing that actually happened was the owner got bailed out of his bad investment, the city spent a bunch of $$$, the mall was used as a SWAT and military training playground for a while and then was demolished. The land has sat empty since and hosts swap meets on the weekends. A fine appropriation of millions of taxpayer money, for sure. It'll probably end up being turned into yet another agenda 21/2030 stack and pack apartment complex at some point. I'd expect the same sort of story for the rest of the malls that go under in the near future.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-26-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Wouldn't malls better serve an instant gratification society?

Traditional one-building malls that are 100% retail are not doing well, but mixed shopping areas with entertainment and activities built in are booming. That's why new malls that you see around are typically outdoor malls with mostly smaller stores and which include non-shopping things to do... adult arcades, restaurants, movie theaters, gyms and other athletic facilities, etc. A store like Sears doesn't fit into a place like that, and they're too hung up on their traditional 'department store' strategy. Doesn't seem like that will work anymore.
    That's what's happening around here. The traditional mall stores (the smaller ones) are opening up in nicer versions of strip malls. Most of them have some nice restaurants and a theater close by. Which, btw, have really gotten nice. They turned the "old" one near us into a $2.00 theater for stale movies and the new one has recliners and a bar. Pretty sweet set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Malls are always full of people, overpriced junk, and they lose money. I buy everything on the internet except food.

Ebates, Raise, coupon code... If you are not using the internet you are getting swindled.

Quote Originally Posted by KrokHead View Post
    Malls are always full of people, overpriced junk, and they lose money. I buy everything on the internet except food.

Ebates, Raise, coupon code... If you are not using the internet you are getting swindled.
    Actually couple of my recent purchases were made at a west coast electronic store chain. Nobody online could match the prices. Plus the convenience of dealing locally can not be overestimated when making a return/exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by KrokHead View Post

It depends on what I'm buying but for the most part, I agree. FWTW, Some box stores will price match online prices but you miss out on the coupon code/ebate.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Actually couple of my recent purchases were made at a west coast electronic store chain. Nobody online could match the prices. Plus the convenience of dealing locally can not be overestimated when making a return/exchange.
    I have not been buying anything in person that I could do better with on the net . Probably depends on what kind of things people buy .
    Do something Danke

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have not been buying anything in person that I could do better with on the net . Probably depends on what kind of things people buy .
    I needed a 1-1/4" one-way valve for one of my compressors last week, closest one was over 100 miles each way and $75.00, amazon got it here for less than 1/2 price in 2 days..

It's hard to beat

[edit]

Same USA made product, less than 1/2 price delivered to the door.
    Last edited by tod evans; 03-28-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Going into a store is a drag for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    All part of being an instant gratification society. ... I personally hate shopping myself, so I do it all online for the most part. Going places is going the way of the dodo bird.
    Our temperaments have definitely changed, quantifiably, and this is one of the manifestations. People are less social. More loners. Tons of factors that have caused this -- interstate highway system, higher education serving as a siphon to suck talent out of towns and into metros, a massive incoming peasant migration from places with very, very alien cultures, and government policies actively destroying and subsuming the role of family and church. All of which adds up to the reality that: Today, you probably do not relate to and share lots in common with your immediate neighbors. You feel no particular affinity towards them. You are a stranger on your own street. You don't have a shared life experience. You don't wake up at the same time in the morning and walk to the same job. You don't have barbecues together. Your kids don't walk to and from school together. You don't see each other at church every week.

You have a closer emotional connection with Conan O-Brien and the characters in the Game of Thrones than you do with anyone whose house you can see out your window. Far closer.

This is a bizarre situation, precedented by previous civilization collapses, but probably never to this extent. People don't like going out. Even to go shopping. When they are out they're on their geejaw. People are recluses. Non-social and anti-social. It's introversion rigorized and systematized.

Last edited by helmuth_hubener; 03-28-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Our temperaments have definitely changed, quantifiably, and this is one of the manifestations. People are less social. More loners. Tons of factors that have caused this -- interstate highway system, higher education serving as a siphon to suck talent out of towns and into metros, a massive incoming peasant migration, and government policies actively destroying and subsuming the role of family and church. All of which adds up to the reality that: Today, you probably do not relate to and share lots in common with your immediate neighbors. You feel no particular affinity towards them. You don't have a shared life experience. You don't wake up at the same time in the morning and walk to the same job. You don't have barbecues together. Your kids don't walk to and from school together. You don't see each other at church every week.

You have a closer emotional connection with Conan O-Brien and the characters in the Game of Thrones than you do with anyone whose house you can see out your window. Far closer.

This is a bizarre situation, precedented by previous civilization collapses, but probably never to this extent. People don't like going out. Even to go shopping. When they are out they're on their geejaw. People are recluses. Non-social and anti-social. It's introversion rigorized and systematized.
    That's just sad. I was thinking about not going out tonight but now I feel like I have to so I'm not one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    That's just sad. I was thinking about not going out tonight but now I feel like I have to so I'm not one of those people.
    Just don't bring your cell phone!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast