Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I have been hatching an idea for Apocalypse Vacations.
    As long as I don't have to drink tang or $#@! my pants, launch me in a rocket into the stars.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kid Komrade at 1 mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    Kid Komrade at 1 yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    As long as I don't have to drink tang or $#@! my pants, launch me in a rocket into the stars.
    Whatchu gotta gainst Tang?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

As long as tang on Poon has lots of pulp, I'm OK.

Back to the OP. I'm watching a report on "retail-tainment," or experience retail, where stores are creating experiences like golf simulators, exercise try-outs, whatever, to "delight" the customer so they will come into b&m stores.

Dear Retailers: I would be delighted to walk into a store, find the product I want, and then be able to pay for it and go home without waiting in super long queues. I would also like to have cashiers who actually know how to count change because I don't use your store's credit card, so please don't make them try to upsell me one. All I want is service.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Back to the OP. I'm watching a report on "retail-tainment," or experience retail, where stores are creating experiences like golf simulators, exercise try-outs, whatever, to "delight" the customer so they will come into b&m stores.

Dear Retailers: I would be delighted to walk into a store, find the product I want, and then be able to pay for it and go home without waiting in super long queues. I would also like to have cashiers who actually know how to count change because I don't use your store's credit card, so please don't make them try to upsell me one. All I want is service.
    Dear Retailers: Dont send me to your website when I am physically standing in your store.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LibForestPaul

Somebody is filling up the retail space. Vacancies have been declining.
    That is vacancy rates. What is happening to the total available retail space? Is it growing, remaining flat, or declining?
    And why did you not post this to begin with? Almost if your presented a statistic to only persuade, not inform.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    That is vacancy rates. What is happening to the total available retail space? Is it growing, remaining flat, or declining?
    And why did you not post this to begin with? Almost if your presented a statistic to only persuade, not inform.
    Good point about rates. In my mid-size Agenda 21 city, a lot of the retail space that was once strip malls and stand-alone units has been demolished and replaced with mixed use Agenda 21 condo developments. More is demolished daily. The total square footage of retail space has definitely been reduced. Then there's the low-profile gray-area-of-legality gambling parlors taking over from spaces previously occupied by retailers like carpet sales and other services no longer needed because of the condo developments. This is also why delivery services are being pushed onto everyone.

It's a combination of less money to spend and less options to spend at, not some giant demand for online commerce. All very intentional, of course, as part of Agenda 21 and the loss of dollar global reserve status.
    Last edited by devil21; 12-09-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Sears announced it will be closing an additional 64 Kmart and 29 Sears stores
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Barnes & Noble layoff in the works

https://www.retailcustomerexperience...-in-the-works/

Feb. 15, 2018

The holiday season didn't prove to be a boon for beleaguered bookseller Barnes & Noble, and the retailer is laying off workers.

In a statement, company officials stated it was "adjusting staffing" to meet needs of existing business and customers and that as “the business improves we'll adjust accordingly."

The news comes following reports of healthy retail sales increases at the end of 2017 compared to 2016, and as companies are doling out bonuses and pay raises primarily due to the federal tax reform. The National Retail Federation expects the robust retail sales trend to continue this year, as Retail Customer Experience previously reported.

Barnes & Noble did not provide the number of workers being laid off, according to a USA Today report, or which roles and markets may be impacted.

The book business has been struggling for a long time- between the growth of the internet and Amazon. Retail in general has been doing fairly well.

The news comes following reports of healthy retail sales increases at the end of 2017 compared to 2016, and as companies are doling out bonuses and pay raises primarily due to the federal tax reform. The National Retail Federation expects the robust retail sales trend to continue this year, as Retail Customer Experience previously reported.

Toys ‘R’ Us Is Prepping to Liquidate Its U.S. Operations

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...u-s-operations

March 8, 2018

Toys “R” Us Inc. is making preparations for a liquidation of its bankrupt U.S. operations after so far failing to find a buyer or reach a debt restructuring deal with lenders, according to people familiar with the matter.

While the situation is still fluid, a shutdown of the U.S. division has become increasingly likely in recent days, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. Hopes are fading that a buyer will emerge to keep some of the business operating, or that lenders will agree on terms of a debt restructuring, the people said.

The toy chain’s U.S. division entered bankruptcy in September, planning to emerge with a leaner business model and more manageable debt. A new $3.1 billion loan was obtained to keep the stores open during the turnaround effort, but results worsened more than expected during the holidays, casting doubt on the chain’s viability.

“While a Chapter 11 bankruptcy provides a company with breathing space, it is incumbent on the debtors’ management to show how it intends to reorganize as a going concern,” said Gregory Plotko, a partner in the bankruptcy practice at Richards Kibbe & Orbe LLP. “My sense is that the major creditor group has not yet heard a compelling enough story, nor has a ‘white knight’ appeared.”

... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...u-s-operations

Crocs closing all manufacturing facilities, announces CFO's resignation

NIWOT, Colorado — The last of Crocs Inc.'s manufacturing facilities, located in Italy, is going to close, the company announced.

It also closed its plant in Mexico. Crocs leaders did not give information on how it will continue producing its products during its second-quarter earnings report this week.

The company grew its second-quarter earnings and revenue by 4.7 percent year-over-year. But Crocs Inc. is operating fewer stores.

The company has not said if it plans to shutter more stores in the U.S. It expects revenue to increase, in the single digits, by the year's end.

Crocs Inc.'s chief financial officer, Carrie Teffner, plans to resign from the company effective April 1, 2019. Anne Mehlman will take her place.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/n...fo-resignation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Lowe's to close all Orchard Supply Hardware stores nationwide

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...se/1060236002/

Aug. 22, 2018

Lowe's will close all Orchard Supply Hardware stores nationwide by Feb. 1, the company announced Wednesday.

Orchard Supply Hardware, founded in 1931 in San Jose, California, and acquired by Lowe's in 2013, has 99 stores in California, Oregon and Florida. Lowe's is closing the stores to focus on its core home improvement business, the company said.

Employees were told about the decision Tuesday, and all stores will be open Wednesday for normal business hours. Orchard Supply Hardware stores will have store closing sales beginning Thursday with a plan for all stores to be closed by the end of the company's fiscal year. Lowe's will also close a distribution center in Tracy, California, the company said.

"While it was a necessary business decision to exit Orchard Supply Hardware, decisions that impact our people are never easy," Lowe's president and CEO Marvin Ellison said in a statement. "We will be providing outplacement services for impacted associates, and they will be given priority status if they choose to apply for other Lowe's positions."

Lowe's took a $230 million non-cash pre-tax charge during the second quarter based on its "strategic reassessment" of Orchard Supply Hardware, the company said.

The Mooresville, North Carolina-based hardware chain is refocusing on "retail fundamentals," Ellison said, and will tighten its store inventory as Lowe's foresees a demanding retail environment.

The company lowered its full-year sales forecast to 4.5 percent, down from the previous forecast of 5 percent. Sales at stores open at least one year are expected to increase about 3 percent for the year, down from the previous forecast of 3.5 percent.

Lowe's posted second-quarter sales of $20.9 billion, up 7 percent from the same period a year ago, surpassing expectations of $20.8 billion, based on analysts polled by S&P Global Market Intelligence.

However, net income fell 7 percent to $1.52 billion, or $1.86 per share, missing expectations of $1.65 billion and $2.01 per share.

Lowe’s shares (LOW) were up 8 percent to $108.43 in morning trading Wednesday.

Lowe's acquired Orchard Supply Hardware in 2013 after Orchard Supply, which was spun off from Sears Holdings in 2011, filed for bankruptcy.

The news about the stores' closing led many longtime customers to reminisce on Twitter about the chain, which remodeled some stores recently and had been expanding in Florida. "Deeply saddened," one person tweeted.

"I am going to miss them big time," wrote another longtime customer.

Lowe's, with 2,155 home improvement and hardware stores in the U.S., Canada and Mexico, also named current CVS Health executive vice president and CFO David Denton as its CFO. Denton will join Lowe's after CVS closes its acquisition of Aetna, expected later this year.

"I am confident that Dave will play a key role as we accelerate growth, profitability and return on capital at Lowe's," Ellison said.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Earlier this week , Sears and Kmart announced 46 more closures , JC Penney continues to slide .
    Do something Danke

Sorry for the Collins post, my cut-n-paste is back on the fritz.

Sears Could Be Dead by Saturday

http://www.newser.com/story/269178/s...-saturday.html
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Sorry for the Collins post, my cut-n-paste is back on the fritz.

Sears Could Be Dead by Saturday

http://www.newser.com/story/269178/s...-saturday.html
    Good chance Collins is partly responsible for this anyway .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Good chance Collins is partly responsible for this anyway .
    Yes, he's probably given up his Toughskins and Craftsman tools for Chinese knockoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Yes, he's probably given up his Toughskins and Craftsman tools for Chinese knockoffs.
    Ya , using those cheap , junky , dangerous chinese steel tools because he feels it helps him with the libertarian purity tests and he is tight . For nine dollars a pair I can get Mrs O to hem his Toughskins .
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-28-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    Do something Danke

Rumors are Verizon will be making a 7 percent cut to staff of the yahoo - Aol division .
    Do something Danke

Pretty soon everyone at Huff Pooh will be cleaning out desks .
    Do something Danke

Retail sales were so bad, it's either suspect data or a recession warning

The sudden and unexpected plunge in December's retail sales data raised new concerns about a recession, but economists also say the biggest drop in nine years clashes with other data and may be suspect.

But nonetheless, Wall Street still took the data seriously and economists slashed fourth quarter GDP forecasts. JP Morgan cut its growth estimate to 2 percent from 2.6 percent.

"This literally came from out of left field… I thought January would have been bad," said Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist at MUFG Union Bank. "All our reports earlier were that holiday sales were sparkling."

The Commerce Department said retail sales for December fell 1.2 percent, the largest decline since September, 2009 when the economy was exiting recession and shaking off the financial crisis. The report was delayed due to the government shutdown, and there is no release date for January sales data.

"This is against the backdrop of the only data we had, which was the blockbuster employment numbers," said Diane Swonk, chief economist at Grant Thornton. "If the world was that bad, that was the place we should have seen it and we didn't. It leaves us all scratching our heads. It's suspect, highly suspect."

The report was expected to show a 0.2 percent gain in retail sales, and Swonk says it is subject to revision. Excluding automobiles, gasoline building materials and food, the core retail sales fell 1.7 percent, after a revised 1 percent jump in November. According to the report, December online and mail-order retail sales actually fell 3.9 percent, the biggest drop since November 2008, after increasing 2.8 percent in November.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/reta...n-warning.html

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Those over pd jackasses at CNBC did not get out and buy enough barbie dolls . I blame them. I have been doing my part .
    Do something Danke

December and January were during the shutdown. That effected a lot of people. January was also a shutdown month so don't expect any bump there.

December and January were during the shutdown. That effected a lot of people. January was also a shutdown month so don't expect any bump there.
    December was also peak holiday shopping period so the shutdown should have been somewhat offset by the increased spending by everyone else.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Not everything is cheaper at Amazon. Consumers really need to compare prices.

I don’t do a ton of brick-and-mortar shopping due to arthritis. I will sometimes order something and do in-store pick up. It’s fairly convenient and I don’t have to pay shipping. I can have it today.

I think indoor shopping malls are going to become a thing of the past. They consume a lot of space and energy for heating and cooling the giant space. Leasing can be outrageously expensive. Indoor malls are only really good for flash mobs.

It seems like business model has everything to do with it. Carter’s and OshKoshB’Gosh are always full. Old Navy is always full.

Michael’s and Hobby Lobby always have a line.

As bad as fast food is supposed to be, the drive-thru at Chik Fil-a is like I-40 rush hour traffic and you can’t get a seat inside.
    Last edited by euphemia; 02-15-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

Shopocalypse Now! 5,994 Stores Already Closed In 2019, Blowing Past 2018's Full Year Total

breakneck pace for store closings to start 2019. In a start to the year that can only be described as absolutely demoralizing for the industry, 5,994 stores have closed in the US so far this year, which is already more than last year‘s total of 5,864, according to Real Deal and WSJ. And retail sales have begun falling again recently, down 0.2% in February from a month earlier …

Mall vacancy rates ticked up in the first quarter to 9.3% from 9% in the fourth quarter of 2018. … one of the country’s largest malls, Destiny USA in Syracuse, recently saw its mortgage taken over by a special servicer. …

Just four months into 2019, we have already seen bankruptcies or store closings from companies like Payless Shoesource, Gymboree and Charlotte Russe. …

documented in early March when major chains such as Gap, JCPenney, Victoria's Secret and Foot Locker all announced massive closures, totaling more than 465 stores over the course of just 48 hours. …
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Zerohedge crash news. Things are always collapsing according to them. How many new stores were opened in that time?

Gymboree is way too expensive. So are VS and Gap. JC Penney is dated, and since they gave up their catalog sales.... I imagine online sale and re-sale sites for shoes did in Payless. People are still buying new clothes and shoes.

Ignore the market to your peril. I am currently using a lot of online resources due to mobility. I am doing only small brick-and-mortar stores, and only for a few minutes.
    #NashvilleStrong

Zerohedge crash news. Things are always collapsing according to them. How many new stores were opened in that time?
    You tell us? Surely you have a chart!

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast