Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Auto repair places and dealers are doing fine, sales and revenue wise.

The problem affecting Sears and Kmart isn't 'the retail apocalypse.' It's that nobody likes Sears and Kmart. They failed to adapt, and they're paying for it. Nobody calls Radio Shack's bankruptcies 'the electronic apocalypse' or assumes that sales of electronics are down because Radio Shack is doing poorly.
    I used to buy some auto parts stocks . Always figured it would fair better than most in recessions .
    Do something Danke

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Always figured it would fair better than most in recessions .
    Depends. The problem now is that warranties are longer and a lot of people don't keep their cars beyond the term of the warranty. I think the population that's actually working on their cars and getting them fixed at non-dealership places (Firestone, local shops, etc.) is smaller than it used to be. Means the dealers hold on to a lot more business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Auto repair places and dealers are doing fine, sales and revenue wise.

The problem affecting Sears and Kmart isn't 'the retail apocalypse.' It's that nobody likes Sears and Kmart.
    That's too simplistic. You can say "nobody likes Sears and Kmart" (which have lost 700 stores in recent years), but did nobody also like Montgomery Wards (500 store closures), B. Dalton (800 store closures), Mervyn's (200 store closures), Waldenbooks (1,200 store closures), Goody's (500 store closures), Borders (625 store closures), JCPenney (140 store closures), Hastings Entertainment (150 store closures), Gap (190 stores), Radio Shack (3,000 store closures), Crown Books (200 store closures), Macy's (100 store closures), Payless (500 store closures), and thousands of other chain retail outlets that have shuttered in the US? You can't lose that many retail stores in one country and expect the economy to somehow recover; Macy's alone will lay off 38,000 employees this year. These massive retail die-offs, which have grown larger and larger since 2001, often have little to do with what people like and don't like. They're forced out of business by our own government, which is using taxpayer money to contract with Amazon for $600,000,000. That's money that Amazon then uses to put more retailers out of business. Our money.

The more people listen to the talking heads saying these establishments "failed to adapt" while ignoring the fact that our own government is a major patron of Amazon's massive profit mechanism, the more we'll continue to see once-massive retailers go bankrupt, and continue to see our own neighborhoods decline as brick-and-mortar stores become history.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    That's too simplistic. You can say "nobody likes Sears and Kmart" (which have lost 700 stores in recent years), but did nobody also like Montgomery Wards (500 store closures), B. Dalton (800 store closures), Mervyn's (200 store closures), Waldenbooks (1,200 store closures), Goody's (500 store closures), Borders (625 store closures), JCPenney (140 store closures), Hastings Entertainment (150 store closures), Gap (190 stores), Radio Shack (3,000 store closures), Crown Books (200 store closures), Macy's (100 store closures), Payless (500 store closures), and thousands of other chain retail outlets that have shuttered in the US?
    Ask any person under 30 which of those stores they have or would shop at given the opportunity.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Ask any person under 30 which of those stores they have or would shop at given the opportunity.
    You mean prior to Amazon and smartphones?

Let's be real, shall we? People in their 20's aren't known for the ability to not be led around by the latest fad/peer pressure/brainwashing trend put out by the controlled media with the intention of promoting CIA-controlled corporations (looking at you, Bezos and Zuckerberg). People in their 20's generally do what is popular and easiest, not necessarily what is in their best interest.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

The point he was making is how many of those youngsters would have worked in those establishments.

Now if they're lucky they can flip burgers during HS/college...

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post

Let's be real, shall we? People in their 20's aren't known for the ability to not be led around by the latest fad/peer pressure/brainwashing trend put out by the controlled media with the intention of promoting CIA-controlled corporations (looking at you, Bezos and Zuckerberg). People in their 20's generally do what is popular and easiest, not necessarily what is in their best interest.
    It is about getting laid.

No, I said under 30.

If you get all riled up and the nurses have to come talk to you then you won't be getting any jello with your meal.
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The point he was making is how many of those youngsters would have worked in those establishments.
    Shopping centers with a greater number of smaller stores employ more people, not less, than giant malls comprised of huge department stores.
    Pinochet is the model

Shopping centers with a greater number of smaller stores employ more people, not less, than giant malls comprised of huge department stores.
    I must have missed where there's a booming of small stores opening up, especially ones that employ youngsters....

Now if they're lucky they can flip burgers during HS/college...
    Exactly.

But the fact of the matter is, under-30s only represent 25% of the US population (source: 2010 US Census). So where the under-30 crowd shops does not and cannot cause the massive hemorrhaging of retail jobs we've seen. A full 90% of chain bookstores, for example, are now closed. How's that possible if the reason is that under-30s weren't shopping there? 25% of your demographic aren't going to cause 90% of a sector to go under.

Clearly, "unpopularity with young people" is too simplistic. You don't hemorrhage tens of millions of retail jobs if the answer is as simple as "expand your online presence and market to youth."

EEO/quotas........

This fine person must be given equal value in your hearing aid store:

And these fine folks may scream racism if you don't hire them in your pew manufacturing business:
    Tod, please, please don't churn my stomach with revolting images like that... thing! <shudder> Seriously.

But it's a good point you raise. And the Apple Store has indeed had multiple class action lawsuits brought against it, IIRC. It's just the world we live in. Luckily for Apple the rewards of success have been far bigger than the punishment of doing what needs to be done for that success.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    It's just the world we live in.
    Not that I'm resigned to it remaining this way. I'm not. I'm actually optimistic that it can be changed for the better. Sanity is on the rise and on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Tod, please, please don't churn my stomach with revolting images like that... thing! <shudder> Seriously.

But it's a good point you raise. And the Apple Store has indeed had multiple class action lawsuits brought against it, IIRC. It's just the world we live in. Luckily for Apple the rewards of success have been far bigger than the punishment of doing what needs to be done for that success.
    There is absolutely no way I'd try to open a retail establishment in today's marketplace.

What with the regulations, the hiring quotas and the $#@! customers one must endure going postal would seem calm....

What sane person would subject themselves to such lunacy for a pittance?

Nice thing about local businesses is they generally make or grow what they sell...........Retail today means import marketing.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, I said under 30.
    And I asked for context. You skipped that part. Obviously your question would be nonsense when we were in our 20's. We would have and did shop/work there, before the introduction of extreme sit-on-ass "progress".

If you get all riled up and the nurses have to come talk to you then you won't be getting any jello with your meal.
    Still no reply. Booooooring.

Though we both know the goal is to keep young people distracted, ignorant and sitting on their asses while their futures are basically turned into abject serfdom right under their noses. Hence the push to keep their faces buried in phones, rarely leaving their agenda 21 apartments while their freedom to travel is slowly removed and worrying about offending the 3% of gay people in the country.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-29-2017 at 12:01 PM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Beverly Hills, Monaco, Switzerland, etc ....
    By the way Switzerland is tied for first in trade freedom. Maldives, North Korea, Iraq,, Somalia, Yemen round out the bottom five.

http://www.heritage.org/index/explore

I must have missed where there's a booming of small stores opening up, especially ones that employ youngsters....
    They are working someplace. Even when stores closing make the news, new stores are opening.

And then there is this announcement made this week: http://www.chainstoreage.com/article...mortar-formats

Report: Amazon could upend retail with new brick-and-mortar formats

Amazon is keeping all its options open when it comes to exploring new concepts.

The online giant is exploring an array of brick-and-mortar ideas, from electronics stores to stores that sell furniture and appliance, that would use technology in ways and have a dramatic impact on how other stores operate, reported The New York Times.

These ideas come on the heels of the company’s Amazon Books store concept, which just opened its fifth location, in Chicago.

Amazon is also making a strong commitment to the grocery category. In addition to its Amazon Go checkout-fee convenience store concept which launched last year, the online giant’s first two AmazonFresh Pickup grocery stores are set to open in Seattle. Both locations will enable customers to order food online and schedule an in-store pick-up.

According to the New York Times report, Amazon is so bullish on this concept that five more AmazonFresh Pickup locations could open by next year, and Amazon Go could expand to Britain and several cities in the United States in the same time frame.

Amazon is going to kill itself with retail stores since everyone buys online and retail is going under . WTF .
    Do something Danke

That's too simplistic. You can say "nobody likes Sears and Kmart" (which have lost 700 stores in recent years), but did nobody also like Montgomery Wards (500 store closures), B. Dalton (800 store closures), Mervyn's (200 store closures), Waldenbooks (1,200 store closures), Goody's (500 store closures), Borders (625 store closures), JCPenney (140 store closures), Hastings Entertainment (150 store closures), Gap (190 stores), Radio Shack (3,000 store closures), Crown Books (200 store closures), Macy's (100 store closures), Payless (500 store closures), and thousands of other chain retail outlets that have shuttered in the US? You can't lose that many retail stores in one country and expect the economy to somehow recover; Macy's alone will lay off 38,000 employees this year. These massive retail die-offs, which have grown larger and larger since 2001, often have little to do with what people like and don't like. They're forced out of business by our own government, which is using taxpayer money to contract with Amazon for $600,000,000. That's money that Amazon then uses to put more retailers out of business. Our money.

The more people listen to the talking heads saying these establishments "failed to adapt" while ignoring the fact that our own government is a major patron of Amazon's massive profit mechanism, the more we'll continue to see once-massive retailers go bankrupt, and continue to see our own neighborhoods decline as brick-and-mortar stores become history.
    Excluding Borders, the combined number of times of all the other stores you listed that I have set foot in during my lifetime is under 5. Maybe those stores don't really have a good product? I think I maybe was in a K Mart when I was 4 years old and I think went to a Sears to get something for an apartment in college. I have never even heard of Waldenbooks, Hastings Entertainment, Goody's, Mervyn's or B Dalton or Crown Books.

I have made thousands of transactions on Amazon. My life is materially better because Amazon exists. The reason Amazon is dominating is because they have an outstanding product. That is kind of the way it is supposed to work. I don't really see a need go back to the bad old days of paying much more and not having what I want.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 03-29-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    They are working someplace. Even when stores closing make the news, new stores are opening.

"Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics"... the same Bureau of Labor that was caught faking unemployment numbers in 2015, and was called out by the MSM (the NY Post, for example), and which was also called out for faking numbers in 2009.

But even if we believed the numbers we're fed, that chart shows the number of retail jobs going from 10,000 to 15,000 between 1980 and 2000 (growing by 50%), and then stagnating between 2000 and today. That can't be good, even using the DOL's own fudged numbers!

(This also reminds me of the time the Department of Labor was caught faking low inflation numbers).

There is absolutely no way I'd try to open a retail establishment in today's marketplace.

What with the regulations, the hiring quotas and the $#@! customers one must endure going postal would seem calm....

What sane person would subject themselves to such lunacy for a pittance?

Nice thing about local businesses is they generally make or grow what they sell...........Retail today means import marketing.
    I think it is accurate to just call retail import marketing .
    Do something Danke

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Amazon is going to kill itself with retail stores since everyone buys online and retail is going under . WTF .
    Your analysis is wrong. You are talking profits and you should think revenue. Embrace Amazon - your chance in digital serfdom. We also provide an analog link for those yet not converted.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Your analysis is wrong. You are talking profits and you should think revenue. Embrace Amazon - your chance in digital serfdom. We also provide an analog link for those yet not converted.
    Yeah , I am gonna take a pass on the digital serfdom .
    Do something Danke

"Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics"... the same Bureau of Labor that was caught faking unemployment numbers in 2015, and was called out by the MSM (the NY Post, for example), and which was also called out for faking numbers in 2009.

But even if we believed the numbers we're fed, that chart shows the number of retail jobs going from 10,000 to 15,000 between 1980 and 2000 (growing by 50%), and then stagnating between 2000 and today. That can't be good, even using the DOL's own fudged numbers!

(This also reminds me of the time the Department of Labor was caught faking low inflation numbers).
    http://archives.cjr.org/the_audit/bo...ory_census.php

A bogus NY Post piece sets off a frenzy
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business...report/281648/

Did the Census Bureau Really Fake the Jobs Report?

The New York Post makes a shocking claim. But even if it's right, the fraud was too imperceptibly small to make any a difference.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1777153

Investigation: Government did not rig unemployment data during the 2012 Presidential election
    1.6 million more working in retail today than there were in the recession (2009).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-30-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Amazon guy with inflated stock prices has passed Buffet and is second wealthiest now .
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-30-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    Do something Danke

Amazon guy with inflated the stock prices has passed Buffet and is second wealthiest now .
    Stop complaining and get your ass to Amazon Mechanical Turk where for a few cents an hour you can start making headway into similar riches.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    And then there is this announcement made this week: http://www.chainstoreage.com/article...mortar-formats
    You must have missed the part where the Amazon Go stores are going to be as automated as technologically possible. Can't argue that retail is helping job availability while pointing to new retail that purposely eliminates jobs.

Having said that, we both know that since the income tax structure is changing in a big way and people won't be the cash cows for the bankers that they have been as the bankruptcy unwinds and the FRN/petrodollar dies, there's no reason to keep people working in any meaningful way. Interesting times.

Amazon guy with inflated the stock prices has passed Buffet and is second wealthiest now .
    The funny part is the Amazon is barely even profitable, when compared relative to its revenues. A lot of Amazon's profits come from interest on the funds it collects on behalf of those that sell through Amazon. Amazon is more of a social engineering tool than a profit driven company.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-30-2017 at 02:34 PM.

LibForestPaul

How has Amazon, a global company, affected malls and retail stores in Sweden, Germany, UK, China, and Japan?

I just walked out of our local farm supply, $56.40 for a 3-pack of Frontline, $35.00 from Amazon......

$20.00 difference for a 4oz package...

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast