Thread: Brushing your teeth too soon after meals can seriously damage them, warn dentists

Brushing your teeth too soon after meals can seriously damage them, warn dentists

Was trying to find out if safe to brush teeth after eating ice cream.
    Still confused, this contradicts general dentists advice of brushing after eating meals, sweets etc.

Brushing your teeth too soon after meals can seriously damage them, warn dentists

• Brushing within 20 minutes can corrode teeth
    • Drives corrosive acids 'deep into teeth, dentists warn
    • Waiting an hour can protect teeth

By Rob Waugh

4 June 2012

Many people brush more than the recommended number of times per day - especially after a rich meal.
    But dentists warn that the extra brushing could be doing more harm than good.
    Brushing within half an hour of eating a meal or drinking a cup of coffee could ensure your teeth suffer worse damage.

After drinking fizzy or acidic drinks, the acid burns into the enamel of your teeth - and the layer below the enamel, called 'dentin'.
    Brushing at the 'wrong' time - particularly within 20 minutes of finishing a meal - can drive the acid deeper into your teeth, corroding them far faster than they would have rotted by themselves.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Go figure...I brush in the am and at bedtime and rinse my mouth out with water or mouthwash (depending on how much garlic and onions I had) right after I eat. I think there's definitely such a thing as too much brushing.

I hate to floss BUT I have to admit, I think flossing helps reduce plaque. My youngest son and Mr Animal are avid flossers - I think Mr Animal is OCD about it, he has floss everywhere - and they never have any plaque on their teeth when they go to the dentist. Seriously, they're in and out in less than 5 minutes. I generally have a little around my back molars. I use a water pik but I may start flossing at night to see if that's what I need because I hate having my teeth scraped on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Vinegar cuts plaque.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Go figure...I brush in the am and at bedtime and rinse my mouth out with water or mouthwash (depending on how much garlic and onions I had) right after I eat. I think there's definitely such a thing as too much brushing.

I hate to floss BUT I have to admit, I think flossing helps reduce plaque. My youngest son and Mr Animal are avid flossers - I think Mr Animal is OCD about it, he has floss everywhere - and they never have any plaque on their teeth when they go to the dentist. Seriously, they're in and out in less than 5 minutes. I generally have a little around my back molars. I use a water pik but I may start flossing at night to see if that's what I need because I hate having my teeth scraped on.
    For the most part I've regularly done brush/ floss routine but lately have been using strange "nautral living" lazy and probably dumb rationalizations like "all the lions out in nature never brush or floss their teeth".
    Another stupid trick I experimented for short while was using ice cream to clean teeth.. theory being that acids from sugars would attack outer layers of plaque and teeth will be cleaner by rinsing with water afterwards.
    Needless to say results were not good and going back to old fashioned brushing/flossing.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Vinegar cuts plaque.
    Tried to lookup if this could be a good natural mouth wash better than Listerine. While ago BBC health had reported some study that overuse of commercial mouthwash increased risk of throat cancer.

This looked interesting, will try it.

white-vinegar-as-natural-mouthwash
    http://www.salubriousexclamation.com...mouthwash.html