Thread: MA-Hampshire College student faces charges after allegedly assaulting basketball players

Exclamation MA-Hampshire College student faces charges after allegedly assaulting basketball players

Basketball was invited by a white man.

#triggered

(Autistic screeching) Cultural appropriation!!! Hate Crime!!! GTFO out of MY game!!!

Hampshire College student faces charges after allegedly assaulting visiting basketball player over 'culturally appropriated' hair braids

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...dent_face.html

Lucas Ropek | lropek@repub.com By Lucas Ropek | lropek@repub.com
    on March 17, 2017 at 7:26 PM, updated March 17, 2017 at 10:55 PM

BELCHERTOWN - A 20-year-old Hampshire College student is currently facing charges after allegedly attacking a visiting basketball player over the player's "culturally appropriated" hair braids, according to the Daily Hampshire Gazette.

Carmen Figueroa, of Brooklyn, pleaded not guilty to charges of assault and battery, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and disorderly conduct in Eastern Hampshire District Court in Belchertown on Friday.

The charges were incurred as the result of an incident that occurred at Hampshire College's Robert Crown Center on January 27.

During the incident, Figueroa allegedly walked up to members of the Central Maine Community College women's basketball team and demanded that they remove braids from their hair, calling "cultural appropriation."

When the girls did not do as Figueroa asked, she allegedly initiated a fight with one of them. At the same time, another Hampshire College student who has not been identified is said to have pulled the hair of one of the visiting players, which caused her to fall down.

Figueroa then allegedly stepped on the player who had fallen, which injured her, according to court documents.

One of the other players stepped in to attempt to protect her team mate, but Figueroa allegedly "grabbed her by the head and threw her to the ground"--which caused her to suffer scratches, say the court documents.

Coaches came to break up the fight--at which time Figueroa is said to have been "screaming swears and racial slurs" and had attempted to punch the visiting basketball players.

The school has confirmed that Figueroa is a student at Hampshire College but hasn't commented on the incident.

"Because it's an active, ongoing District Court proceeding, the College has no comment at this time," said Hampshire College Media Officer John Courtmanche, in an email to The Republican.

The topic of "cultural appropriation" has become a heated issue on many college campuses in recent years.

Defined loosely, it refers to the adoption of a culturally specific item by someone not directly involved in that culture.

In 2015, students at the private liberal arts school Oberlin College protested the school cafeteria's "cultural appropriation" of Vietnamese cuisine after the school used the "wrong ingredients" to cook a banh mi sandwich. At the time, Oberlin's student newspaper also apparently called the cafeteria sushi a product of the school's "culturally appropriative sustenance system."
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Back in my day when someone copied a style or food, it was taken as a compliment. SMDH...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Is there a difference between 'basketball' and 'bassetball'?

I've never cared because this BS takes place during hockey season...........Just wondering.

Today is Taco Tuesday. I'm a cultural appropriator. For $#@!s and giggles, I think I'm going to speak Spanish today.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

And here I was thinking that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I do admit though that when I see a white boy sagging I want to go upside his head. But I want to do that when I see a black boy sagging too. So that makes it okay right?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    And here I was thinking that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I do admit though that when I see a white boy sagging I want to go upside his head. But I want to do that when I see a black boy sagging too. So that makes it okay right?
    What's 'sagging'?

Is that the kids who don't pull up their pants?

I'm not shy, I'll ask if they're trolling for h o m o s......

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    And here I was thinking that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Exactly!

I do admit though that when I see a white boy sagging I want to go upside his head. But I want to do that when I see a black boy sagging too. So that makes it okay right?
    It's cool. I feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Today is Taco Tuesday. I'm a cultural appropriator. For $#@!s and giggles, I think I'm going to speak Spanish today.
    Suz-Ez

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Suz-Ez
    Si

I might even get out my sombrero when I'm in the attic putting away our leprechaun costume.

This cultural appropriation thing is making racism very confusing.

Si

I might even get out my sombrero when I'm in the attic putting away our leprechaun costume.
    Eyebrow pencil will do the 'stache....

Eyebrow pencil will do the 'stache....

I should be fine, I haven't shaved my face this week.

English is a "culturally appropriated" language. Now shut the $#@! up!

I just realized that I'm an expert level cultural appropriator. Not only do I have a sombrero and a serape, I also have a leprechaun costume, a viking hat with faux braids, one of those dresses Indian (from India) wear (got it at a thrift store), an American Indian outfit, and a gold tooth that slips on over my real tooth. I was in downtown Atlanta and saw the Gold Tooth store. That place was a trip. It had the craziest grills I'd ever seen in my life. I had to buy something. I feel gangsta when I slip it on.

I just realized that I'm an expert level cultural appropriator. Not only do I have a sombrero and a serape, I also have a leprechaun costume, a viking hat with faux braids, one of those dresses Indian (from India) wear (got it at a thrift store), an American Indian outfit, and a gold tooth that slips on over my real tooth. I was in downtown Atlanta and saw the Gold Tooth store. That place was a trip. It had the craziest grills I'd ever seen in my life. I had to buy something. I feel gangsta when I slip it on.
    I have suspenders...

I have suspenders...
    Are they rainbow? If they are, you're culturally appropriating Mork and Mindy fans and the gays.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are they rainbow? If they are, you're culturally appropriating Mork and Mindy fans and the gays.
    Nope, black Carhartts...

I have suspenders...
    Me too and I get compliments on them whenever I wear them out.

During the incident, Figueroa allegedly walked up to members of the Central Maine Community College women's basketball team and demanded that they remove braids from their hair, calling "cultural appropriation."
    That white girl with the braids needs to take a line from my playbook. When I was in my twenties and went to black clubs, sometimes folks would ask what a white girl like me was doing there. I would tell them, it's okay I still have my black ID. Most people laughed. That's what she should've said when that crazy girl demanded she remove her braids. That reminds me, I also have a Jamaican hat.

Nope, black Carhartts...
    Sounds like you need to check your privilege.

Sounds like you need to check your privilege.
    Hold on there!

I'm the poor dude with a pair of 10 year old braces and you're the broad with half a dozen outfits but I'm 'privileged'?

Maybe it's the penis......

I also get 'ashy'. Is it cultural appropriation to get ashy? What if I'm wearing my gold tooth and listening to Gin & Juice at the time? Does my black ID cover all that appropriation?

Hold on there!

I'm the poor dude with a pair of 10 year old braces and you're the broad with half a dozen outfits but I'm 'privileged'?

Maybe it's the penis......

You have white privilege and male privilege! You got lots of checking to do, tod.

You have white privilege and male privilege! You got lots of checking to do, tod.
    Maybe after I shovel out the dust collector........

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In 2015, students at the private liberal arts school Oberlin College protested the school cafeteria's "cultural appropriation" of Vietnamese cuisine after the school used the "wrong ingredients" to cook a banh mi sandwich. At the time, Oberlin's student newspaper also apparently called the cafeteria sushi a product of the school's "culturally appropriative sustenance system."
    Seriously? They actually used the phrase "sustenance system."

Do they "consume mass quantities," too? I bet they do.

Oberlin's student newspaper is apparently a product of culturally appropriating the Coneheads ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Bet folks are glad they send their kids to be " educated " at these institutions !

But seriously, how $#@!ed up is it to tell someone they cant do something because of their race. . .

Back in my day when someone copied a style or food, it was taken as a compliment. SMDH...
    Yes. That's exactly what it is, even today IMO.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.