Thread: In 18 Years, A College Degree Could Cost About $500,000

In 18 Years, A College Degree Could Cost About $500,000

https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/0...t-about-500000
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/venessawong...VxQ#.byd4Ra4re

People worried about college affordability today can at least take this to heart: it could get much, much worse. Tuition has been rising by about 6% annually, according to investment management company Vanguard. At this rate, when babies born today are turning 18, a year of higher education at a private school -- including tuition, fees, and room and board -- will cost more than $120,000, Vanguard said. Public colleges could average out to $54,000 a year. That means without financial aid, the sticker price of a four-year college degree for children born today could reach half a million dollars at private schools, and a quarter million at public ones. That's for a family with one kid; those with more could be facing a bill that reaches seven figures.
    Its a Buzzfeed story so I didnt think it was quite credible enough to post in the Family and Education forum.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Looks like son's going to have no choice but carpentering.......

I doubt this. The education bubble should pop before then.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

By then , hopefully , most of them will be out of business .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I doubt this. The education bubble should pop before then.
    ^^^ My thoughts also.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    You mean he'll actually have a skill??? Oh Noes!!!
    There is no spoon.

Hope you are kidding but hopefully he instead grows up to be a big shot builder who has dozens of carpenters on his payroll.

But about the OP, anyone who goes about making such a bold prediction like this about colleges is bound to have eggs on his face. Considering how many jobs require a college degree, if colleges were that expensive, almost no employer would be able to afford their workers. Unless they are talking about inflated cost of college in 18 yrs, just read the headline and excerpts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    You mean he'll actually have a skill??? Oh Noes!!!
    Yea, because we all know that only trade skills count as a skill

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Hope you are kidding but hopefully he instead grows up to be a big shot builder who has dozens of carpenters on his payroll.

But about the OP, anyone who goes about making such a bold prediction like this about colleges is bound to have eggs on his face. Considering how many jobs require a college degree, if colleges were that expensive, almost no employer would be able to afford their workers. Unless they are talking about inflated cost of college in 18 yrs, just read the headline and excerpts.
    By the time he's 16 he'll have more real world experience than a friend of ours who spent untold thousands to attend SCAD...

My intention is for him to have the ability to pick-n-choose what jobs he wants and if he wants to manage people....(I'll never take a supervisory position again!)

Yea, because we all know that only trade skills count as a skill
    My paramedics licence expired in the late 80's...

I'd rather clean stalls...

I'll bet in 18 yrs. a degree in HVAC, welding, electrical, etc. will still be under $10k at the local community college.

And if things keep going the way they are then self owners in those fields will charge $100+/hr.

By the time he's 16 he'll have more real world experience than a friend of ours who spent untold thousands to attend SCAD...

My intention is for him to have the ability to pick-n-choose what jobs he wants and if he wants to manage people....(I'll never take a supervisory position again!)
    That sounds much better, at first it seemed to me like you already picked a career for him and no offense to any carpenters out there but it can be a back breaking job with average financial reward.

My paramedics licence expired in the late 80's...

I'd rather clean stalls...
    I think the patients you saved with your medical skills are happy you were not somewhere else cleaning stalls when they needed to be picked up. Just saying

That sounds much better, at first it seemed to me like you already picked a career for him and no offense to any carpenters out there but it can be a back breaking job with average financial reward.
    Carpentry is a vocation that a man can spend an entire lifetime learning and trying to perfect.

Only the most rudimentary aspects are "back breaking" and even those pay better than healthcare as a rule.

Look around at the wood you see, everything from kitchen utensils to yacht interiors, handcrafted bows to automotive chassis, marquetry to timberframing....It all falls under the umbrella of being a carpenter......

I think the patients you saved with your medical skills are happy you were not somewhere else cleaning stalls when they needed to be picked up. Just saying
    I'd keep it up but for the politics, hospital politics would garner me a life sentence today........I'll stick with boards...........Or stalls.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

These days a degree is not worth the paper it's printed on. Students graduate with so much debt and earn so little salary that they can forget about owning a home, getting married, or building any kind of permanent life.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Especially if government subsidizes it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Half a million bucks of debt to chase a dwindling pool of disappearing jobs, being done by AI?

Yeah, sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Half a million bucks of debt to chase a dwindling pool of disappearing jobs, being done by AI?

Yeah, sounds about right.
    Don't worry comrade there'll be an extra ration and breeding allotment if you have your government approved papers.....

This might be a good thing, actually. If they treat education the way they treat health care, student families might have to fork over a big chunk of cash every year. That might mean fewer students on campus there to stir up trouble. Some schools might close.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi