Thread: Philly Cinco de Mayo celebration canceled over immigration crackdown fears

Philly Cinco de Mayo celebration canceled over immigration crackdown fears

El Carnaval de Puebla, a major Cinco De Mayo celebration in Philadelphia, has been canceled following recent federal immigration crackdowns, organizers said.

Edgar Ramirez told a local NBC affiliate that as many as 15,000 people gather for the annual parade through South Philadelphia, marking the city's largest Cinco de Mayo celebration.

Ramirez told NBC the decision was "sad but responsible" amid reports of more immigration enforcement arrests on the part of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Hundreds of undocumented immigrants have been detained or arrested since President Trump took office. Trump campaigned on a pledge to strengthen enforcement of immigration laws.
    ICE announced this week alone that 248 people in Pennsylvania, Delaware and West Virginia were in federal custody awaiting deportation following two weeks of immigration raids.

Ramirez said that the Mexican-American community, including both legal and illegal residents, was disheartened by reports of large-scale arrests.

"The group of six organizers decided to cancel unanimously,” Ramirez said. “Everyone is offended by the actions of ICE. They did not feel comfortable holding the event."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I thought It was mostly celebrated by americanos looking for an excuse to drink.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I thought It was mostly celebrated by americanos looking for an excuse to drink.
    you didn't think they canceled because they feared immigration raids did you?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    you didn't think they canceled because they feared immigration raids did you?
    Not really.
    "The Patriarch"

Far more relevant to my life............When is the price of Patron going down?

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    No that is Poloski Festival and St Patrick's Day

Quote Originally Posted by KEEF View Post
    No that is Poloski Festival and St Patrick's Day
    Octoberfest?

A celebration of a marketing campaign by a US distributor of Corona. Get out your flags!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Octoberfest?
    Ah yes, that one too. See we are all multicultural.