Thread: How to Become a More Positive Person in 21 Days

How to Become a More Positive Person in 21 Days

How to Become a More Positive Person in 21 Days
    Pinpointing moments of everyday bliss produces a huge happiness payoff. Here's how to start this life-changing habit.

By Jacqueline Andriakos March 17, 2017

We hear it over and over: It’s the little things that count. Turns out the cliché is dead-on. Research shows that one of the most important secrets to a happy life is to relish the many small moments that bring delight—ones you may not even notice. When you start calling attention to them, your mind becomes more inclined toward joy, explains Chade-Meng Tan, a Google engineer turned happiness guru and the author of Joy on Demand. "Over time, joy and happiness become increasingly effortless," he says. The best part? Getting there is ridiculously easy.
    Week 1: Take note

Think of sinking your teeth into your favorite dessert or that moment in the shower when the hot water first touches your skin—“any fleeting moments of joy in life that are not super intense,” says Tan. This week, start picking up on them. “All you have to do is notice the joy and bring attention to the pleasantness,” he explains.

Be here now. Focus on the bite-size pleasures already in your day. “After a number of times, a habit will form,” says Tan.

Live out loud. Being vocal when something delights you will help you revel in the moment, says happiness researcher Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project. Let out a “mmm” after your delicious first sip of coffee in the a.m., for instance. “My family makes fun of me because every time I get in bed, I involuntarily make this ‘ahhh’ noise, but it feels so good to slide between the sheets,” says Rubin.

Start a one-sentence journal. Every day, jot down a single cheery thought. “Your sentence can be about anything—something beautiful, hilarious, whatever,” says Rubin. “It keeps you accountable without making happiness feel like a chore.”

Week 2: Find hidden happy moments

Now you’re ready to discover less obvious delights. These rituals will get you going.

Get camera happy. Every day, snap a picture on your smartphone of something that makes you happy. “This way, you’re watching out for the things that bring you pleasure; it keeps you in joy-seeking mode,” says Rubin.

Brighten up. Choose a color and try to spot it all day (your favorite green sweater, the green pen at your desk). "There is a ton of research linking color and happiness," says Rubin, “and it’s so easy to take in color from the world."

Reframe the negative. You know those things that usually sour your mood? Try turning them into treats. Maybe you hate getting up when it’s dark out. "You have to wake up either way,” says Rubin, “so look for the parts that are nice, like how you love the quiet of your kitchen in the morning when it’s just you."

RELATED: Try This Meditation Technique to Quiet Your Inner Critic Once and for All

Week 3: Practice joy on command

Little bits of pleasure can give you a lift even when you’re feeling seriously down, says Tan: “A bad mood is like being in a dark room, while those little moments of joy are like candles.” Make your own light when you need it this week with these strategies.

Play your psych-up song. One of the quickest ways to boost your mood is to listen to upbeat music, research has shown. “It’s like dialing happiness 911,” says Rubin.

Jump around. Do explosive movements for a few seconds. “I always tell people who need a pick-me-up to do 10 jumping jacks,” says Rubin. “It’s childish, it’s playful, and it gets you pumped up right away.”

Spread some cheer. On a crappy day, randomly select a few people walking by and secretly send positive vibes. “Just think, ‘I wish for that person to be happy,’” says Tan. “Being on the giving end of a kind thought is rewarding. You’ll be happier than you were five seconds ago.”
    http://www.health.com/mind-body/positivity-challenge
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Live out loud.
    I live out loud.

Being vocal when something delights you will help you revel in the moment, says happiness researcher Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project. Let out a “mmm” after your delicious first sip of coffee in the a.m., for instance.
    Mr A teases me because every morning I say, "the coffee's good today" after I have my first sip. He doesn't get it because he doesn't drink coffee and hates the "coffee culture" but he thinks it's cute that I say the same thing every morning like it's a surprise the coffee's good. I keep trying to remember to day something different to see if he notices but I guess I'm just stuck in a rut.

I also talk about how good the bed feels but only when there's fresh sheets. I love fresh sheets. If I won the lottery, I would have a person in charge of making sure I had fresh sheets everyday - scented with lavender. I keep a littler spritzer next to the bed to spray my pillow and it's nice but it's not the same.

I'm a happy person. I think some of it is just who you are and some of it is learned. Just taking the time to notice things goes a long way. Once you start noticing things, you start talking to people - I do, anyway. I can't notice something and not talk about it.

Spread some cheer. On a crappy day, randomly select a few people walking by and secretly send positive vibes. “Just think, ‘I wish for that person to be happy,’” says Tan. “Being on the giving end of a kind thought is rewarding. You’ll be happier than you were five seconds ago.”
    How about instead of mentally sending positive vibes, talk to or smile at people. I do all the time. It makes people feel good to be noticed. Just last week, I chatted up one young man at Sams Club who I noticed usually works the register was greeting at the door and I smiled and told him I think he's the best check out person and his talent was being wasted on the door on a busy day. It made him feel good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Well , I finally got to the point in life where I do not have to do anything I do not want . I am positive about that
    Do something Danke

I'm positive that I'm not getting a smart phone to participate in the happy pictures process
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I'm positive that I'm not getting a smart phone to participate in the happy pictures process
    Yeah, that's gay.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I just don't give a s---- anymore. Does that make e a positive person?

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I just don't give a s---- anymore. Does that make e a positive person?
    That works too.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.