Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do Trump Supporters Defend His Travel Expenditures?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    "Oh, pool boy!"

that's unusual lol
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How much is Donald Trump’s travel and protection costing, anyway?
    By Philip Bump March 17 at 3:24 PM

President Trump’s 2018 budget proposal is unabashed in its goal: slashing or eradicating a number of social and research programs to offset new spending on defense and homeland security. That emphasis quickly met with broad criticism, including from some who pointed out an apparent contradiction. Trump places a heavy emphasis on cutting waste and targets for elimination programs that, in some cases, cost the government only a few million dollars a year. That is a lot of money in the context of the amount of money you or I spend in a year, but in the context of the government, spending a million dollars is like someone with a $50,000-a-year salary spending one penny.

What really jumped out at some people, though, was that Trump was proposing cuts to some relatively low-cost programs shortly before he prepared to fly to his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. According to an analysis from Politico, that’s a trip that costs about $3 million each time — and it’s a trip that he’s made three times this year.

If that $3 million estimate is true, he could have funded the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness — budgeted at $4 million in 2016 — for three years if he’d just stayed in the White House.

Others noted the cost of protecting first lady Melania Trump and the Trumps’ young son, Barron, at Trump Tower. Shortly after the election, a CNN Money report indicated that protecting Trump’s family in New York cost $1 million a day. If they instead joined him at the White House, of course, that cost would essentially be eliminated.

Combined, these costs could make Trump’s presidency awfully expensive, particularly in light of that proposed budget.

But that’s only if those estimates are correct.

We can start with the Trump Tower number. The million-dollars-a-day figure was sourced to three city officials, reflecting the city’s costs.

In February, the city of New York detailed precisely how much it had been spending to provide additional security at Trump’s home. Between the election and the inauguration, when Trump was living there as president-elect, the city spent about $308,000 a day. Once Trump moved to Washington, the city expects that the cost will be up to $145,000 a day when Trump isn’t visiting. (He hasn’t since being inaugurated.) That’s sharply lower than $1 million a day.

It’s also only the city’s costs. There are additional costs at the federal level, like Secret Service protection. In 2008, the former head of that agency estimated that protecting a candidate costs about $38,000 a day. Presumably protecting a spouse and young child would cost less. There were also reports about the Secret Service and the military seeking to rent space in Trump Tower to aid in supporting the president. It’s not clear whether that’s happened or how much space has been rented. (The Secret Service denied that it was planning to rent space.)

CNN estimated that one of the floors of space reportedly under consideration could cost $1.5 million a year — or about $4,100 a day. If those numbers are all correct, and if the military rents that floor, the total for protecting Trump’s family in New York is a bit under $200,000 a day, including New York City’s costs.

Then there are those Mar-a-Lago trips.

Politico’s $3 million-plus estimate was based on an October 2016 Government Accountability Office report on a trip President Barack Obama took in 2013. That trip, which included a stop in Palm Beach, Fla., cost $3.6 million, $3.2 million of which was the cost of aircraft.

Air Force One costs $206,337 an hour to operate, and the D.C. to Palm Beach flight takes about two hours. That’s $824,000 right there, round-trip. So where did the other $2.8 million come in?

In part, it’s the cost of support aircraft. That 2013 trip included five other planes and four helicopters as part of Obama’s overall team, serving defense and short-distance transport roles. (The president goes to and from Andrews Air Force Base by helicopter, for example.) But that trip also included an unrelated trip to Illinois, meaning a much more complicated ballet of movement than Trump’s Mar-a-Lago trips would require.

Secret Service staffing on the 2013 trip ran about $180,000, according to the GAO. Most of the cost was eaten up by those support aircraft. The 89th Airlift Wing ran up a tab of $1.3 million, including the costs of operating Air Force One. Additional aircraft were used to “provide global passenger airlift, logistics, and aerial support and communications to the President,” which they would presumably also do for Trump’s trips down to Florida. But again, that trip included a flight to and from Chicago, which is slightly closer than Palm Beach from Washington.

If we assume, just for the sake of an estimate, that the full cost of the 2013 trip can be allocated by hour of overall flight time — since the trips themselves were about the same length, one weekend, and since air support costs ate up most of the bill — we get an estimate of about $514,000 an hour. ($3.6 million divided by 3½ hours to and from Chicago and four hours to and from Palm Beach).

A five-hour trip to Palm Beach, then, would be about $2 million — $514,000 times four hours. This is a very loose estimate, mind you, but it seems more fair than $3.6 million.

These figures put Trump’s costs in a slightly different light. Sure, two trips to Mar-a-Lago still eats up the same amount as that year of funding for the Interagency Council on Homelessness, but at a slightly disproportionate level.

If Melania and Barron never move to Washington and if Trump continues to head to Mar-a-Lago for four out of every nine weekends, our estimates put the total cost at something like $526 million over the course of Trump’s presidency. Melania Trump is apparently planning to join her husband in Washington at the end of the school year, though, and Trump calls Mar-a-Lago the “winter White House,” implying that he won’t be there in the summer. In which case the overall spending plummets further.

To only, say, $130 million or so. Only enough to fund the homelessness agency until 10-year-old Barron Trump is 42.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...osting-anyway/
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/opini...gold/98289192/

Trump outspending, out-golfing Obama

Being president is a difficult job, and I don’t begrudge the officeholder from taking the occasional day off.

However, current President Donald Trump was relentlessly critical of former President Barack Obama, railing against Obama for taking vacations and/or for golfing. Only here’s the thing: In his first month in office, Trump has spent way more taxpayer money than Obama did on weekend getaways and has done a LOT more golfing.

It’s been estimated that in just his first month Trump’s golfing forays to Florida on the weekends have cost taxpayers $10 million.

By comparison, during President Obama’s entire eight years in office his vacations – with all the security precautions that come with protecting a president and his family – cost taxpayers $97 million.

It’s an awful lot of money.

But it took eight years.

Golfing = 20 percent of Trump's time

Trump is on pace to spend more taxpayer money than that in one year.

One.

This from a man who for years has ridiculed Obama for taking time off.
    Estimated cost of a trip to Mara Largo- his "weekend getaway" is about $3 million.

There is no defense except that they are hypocrites. He spends a lot of money on his vacations and golf and seems to be well ahead of Obama. It has always been his lifestyle, except now we are paying a great part of it.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    There is no defense except that they are hypocrites. He spends a lot of money on his vacations and golf and seems to be well ahead of Obama. It has always been his lifestyle, except now we are paying a great part of it.

New Obama Travel Costs Bring Eight-Year Total over $96 Million
    http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-r...al-96-million/

And he didn't do anything but encroach on our liberties in all the 8 years.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

How about I don't care?

Liberals are only concerned with costs when they're not in control of the purse strings.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I have never worried about Presidential traveling expenditures. Nor have I worried about the parties they throw, or anything like that. Statecraft and business requires grandeur. Also, most of the travel costs are security, which is absolutely essential.

You will not find a thread of me ever whining about travel expenses or security. Moving the president around is expensive, and since he is the president, he is allowed to go anywhere in the world he wishes, at any time.
    Exactly.

He is also making money renting out space to the Secret Service and the pay-to-play thing he's got going on in WPB.

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/...49968193851392

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

New Obama Travel Costs Bring Eight-Year Total over $96 Million
    http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-r...al-96-million/

And he didn't do anything but encroach on our liberties in all the 8 years.
    Yep and Trump is looking to top that.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/opini...gold/98289192/

Estimated cost of a trip to Mara Largo- his "weekend getaway" is about $3 million.
    Estimated by who? Politico, CNN money and the Washington Post? Was change.org not available to pull some numbers out of thin air?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    How about I don't care?

Liberals are only concerned with costs when they're not in control of the purse strings.
    Because opposing them by not caring about the government expenditure they are opposed to makes sense? Somehow I don't think Ron Paul would be jetting away from the White House every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    And I didn't hear one peep from TheCount while Obama was spending that money. Gee, what a surprise.
    Did you peep about it?

All presidents spend money on travel- Obama was not the greatest spender on "vacations"; Bush was far greater.
    There is no spoon.

Trump's travel seems to be linked with work. He's not down in Florida golfing for kicks and giggles. He's working. He's entertaining heads of state so he can talk to them and negotiate the way to better relationships with other nations. He's getting a lot of work done while his wife is home caring for their son and helping him get through the school year. She's not galavanting around the world spending money like she deserves it.

Trump is also not accepting a salary. While $400K a year is not a lot of money compared to what it takes to guard the president, it's still something. I can imagine it's not fun having to undo eight years of international nonsense perpetrated under Obama and Clinton.

And one more thing: He told Congress he wanted a health care bill on his desk by Feb 20. You see that deadline has come and gone. Congress needs to get moving.

Finally, it's not safe in the White House, clearly, so if Trump needs the Cost Guard because the Secret Service can't secure the White House grounds and the White House, then where is Trump supposed to work? Sheesh.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Trump's travel seems to be linked with work. He's not down in Florida golfing for kicks and giggles. He's working. He's entertaining heads of state so he can talk to them and negotiate the way to better relationships with other nations. He's getting a lot of work done while his wife is home caring for their son and helping him get through the school year. She's not galavanting around the world spending money like she deserves it.

Trump is also not accepting a salary. While $400K a year is not a lot of money compared to what it takes to guard the president, it's still something. I can imagine it's not fun having to undo eight years of international nonsense perpetrated under Obama and Clinton.

And one more thing: He told Congress he wanted a health care bill on his desk by Feb 20. You see that deadline has come and gone. Congress needs to get moving.

Finally, it's not safe in the White House, clearly, so if Trump needs the Cost Guard because the Secret Service can't secure the White House grounds and the White House, then where is Trump supposed to work? Sheesh.
    All presidents vacations are linked with work- yes, even Obama's. And there is a great deal of money spent guarding Trump's wife & child- she doesn't have to "galavant" to have millions spent on forces that are 24/7 at Trump Tower. And the Coast Guard is at Florida- not the White House.
    There is no spoon.

He has an office to conduct business.

And a dining room to entertain in.

And he is accepting his salary. Instead of giving it back to tax payers, like Ron Paul would have done, he's going to donate it to charity. Which of course will give him a write-off vs. his other income.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump...ry?id=46102984

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    All presidents vacations are linked with work- yes, even Obama's. And there is a great deal of money spent guarding Trump's wife & child- she doesn't have to "galavant" to have millions spent on forces that are 24/7 at Trump Tower. And the Coast Guard is at Florida- not the White House.
    I'm not stupid. I read the article. There was an intruder at the White House recently. If Trump is not safe there, then maybe he needs to be on his own turf in Florida with the Coast Guard standing by.
    #NashvilleStrong

The whole point of this thread was stupid. Give us some taking points so we can defend Trump lavish lifestyle spending against the democrats!

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not stupid. I read the article. There was an intruder at the White House recently. If Trump is not safe there, then maybe he needs to be on his own turf in Florida with the Coast Guard standing by.
    If you believe that intruder was any threat to Trump, then you aren't as smart as you think you are.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Because opposing them by not caring about the government expenditure they are opposed to makes sense? Somehow I don't think Ron Paul would be jetting away from the White House every weekend.
    Of course he wouldn't. But I would not care if he did.

Ron Paul often flew commercial, but he got detained by TSA during the 2012 campaign and started using small charter planes. Rand got detained as well:

Rand Paul stopped by TSA
    By TIM MAK 01/23/12 10:37 AM EST Updated 01/24/12 12:01 PM EST

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul was blocked from boarding a flight Monday by the Transportation Security Administration in Nashville, Tenn., after refusing a full body pat-down, POLITICO has confirmed.

“I spoke with him five minutes ago and he was being detained indefinitely,” Paul spokesperson Moira Bagley said. “The image scan went off; he refused patdown.”

Paul’s father, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), tweeted out news of the incident, saying that there had been an “anomaly” with a body scanner.

“My son @SenRandPaul being detained by TSA for refusing full body pat-down after anomaly in body scanner in Nashville. More details coming,” wrote the authenticated Twitter account of presidential candidate Ron Paul.

The TSA disputed this characterization of the incident.

The Kentucky senator triggered an alarm during routine airport screening and declined to finish the process, said a TSA official, but was “not detained at any point.” A targeted pat-down is usually used to address the alarm.

“Passengers, as in this case, who refuse to comply with security procedures are denied access to the secure gate area. He was escorted out of the screening area by local law enforcement,” the official said.

Shortly before noon, the TSA said Paul had been re-booked on another flight and went through the screening process again without incident.

After he was first stopped, Paul told The AP in a telephone interview that he asked for another scan after setting the scanner off but refused a pat-down, after which he was “detained” at a small cubicle and missed his flight to Washington.

Paul, a Republican, was traveling to Washington, when he was detained. He noted earlier on his Twitter that he was planning to speak at the March for Life.

“Today I’ll speak to the March for Life in DC. A nation cannot long endure w/o respect for the right to Life. Our Liberty depends on it,” tweeted Rand Paul at 9:49 A.M.

The TSA first released a statement to POLITICO without referring to the specific incident.

“When an irregularity is found during the TSA screening process, it must be resolved prior to allowing a passenger to proceed to the secure area of the airport. Passengers who refuse to complete the screening process cannot be granted access to the secure area in order to ensure the safety of others traveling,” said TSA Spokesperson Jonella Culmer.

Ron Paul’s presidential campaign released a strongly worded statement Monday afternoon, blistering the TSA for its practices.

“The police state in this country is growing out of control. One of the ultimate embodiments of this is the TSA that gropes and grabs our children, our seniors and our loved ones and neighbors with disabilities. The TSA does all of this while doing nothing to keep us safe,” it said.

The incident was first disclosed by the senator’s spokesperson on Twitter.

“Just got a call from @senrandpaul. He’s currently being detained by TSA in Nashville,” read her tweet just minutes later, at 9:59 A.M.

Like his father, Rand Paul has libertarian leanings and has been a fierce critic of TSA’s pat-downs of passengers at airports, which he views as government overreach. The senator grilled TSA Administrator John Pistole last year after a 6-year-old girl from Paul’s hometown, was patted down by airport security.

“I guess this little girl would be part of the random pat-downs, this little girl from Bowling Green, Kentucky, one of my constituents,” Paul said, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader. “They’re still quite unhappy with you guys as well as myself and a lot of other Americans who think you’ve gone overboard, you’re missing the boat on terrorism because you’re doing these invasive searches on six-year-old girls.”
    http://www.politico.com/story/2012/0...-by-tsa-071818

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Of course he wouldn't. But I would not care if he did.
    I'm sure there was a reasonable purpose by allowing taxes to pay for presidential sojourns when it got started. However, it seems each successive POTUS is trying to out do his predecessor. I personally think travel expenditure needs to be reigned in. But, if you are fine with it I know from experience that nothing I type will change your mind.

POTUS, the best vacation package in existence.

It is unclear how the White House designates travel that is not directly related to a governmental
    or political function, because of traditional reluctance to address this matter. It appears that, in
    most cases, such travel is treated as official, under the assumption that the President and Vice
    President are always on duty. Vacation trips, for example, fall under the official travel category.
    https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS21835.pdf

this should be the leading story for the HAHA Maddow Show on monday.

i expect a full report fron cpu afterward, or any of the 'other' rug biters in here would suffice..

tia
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 03-18-2017 at 01:24 PM.

That memo seems to be with regard to reimbursement of Air Force expenses.

This whole article is a fun read. Adams spent 8 months away from DC. Can you imagine the horror?

Presidents pay for their own and their families’ lodging, food and incidentals while on vacation, which may be why they generally prefer to stay at properties they own, as guests of wealthy friends or at the official presidential retreat at Camp David.

But since presidential vacations are always working vacations, taxpayers cover what it takes to keep the commander in chief working. Lodging and meals are an extra cost, but taxpayers pay the salaries of White House staffers and Secret Service agents whether the president stays in Washington or not, so a presidential vacation does not significantly increase personnel costs.

The biggest additional expense is the use of Air Force One and the support aircraft needed to haul all the equipment and ground transportation the president needs. The Congressional Research Service estimated that the cost of operating Air Force One is nearly $180,000 per hour. Ultimately, a presidential vacation can cost taxpayers an additional $1 million or considerably more than if the president had just stayed put in the White House. How significant this is within a $3.5 trillion federal budget is something voters can decide for themselves.

Tiny minds focus on insignificant things and think they're meaningful.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Let's just remember how Michelle took over a whole floor of the most expensive hotel in the world. Obama was not there. How is that state business?
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by merkelstan View Post
    Tiny minds focus on insignificant things and think they're meaningful.
    My lifetime has taught me that some seemingly insignificant things, if left unattended, can become, over time, quite meaningful.

I'll just throw this in here...

President Trump no longer safe in White House: Former Secret Service agent

By Malia Zimmerman Published March 17, 2017 FoxNews.com

The president is no longer safe on the White House grounds, according to former Secret Service agent Dan Bongino, who once guarded presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

Bongino made the stunning assessment in an interview Friday with Fox News. It followed an incident last Friday night when a man jumped the White House fence and may have roamed the property for as long as 15 minutes before he was stopped by the Secret Service.

Jonathan Tran, who carried two cans of mace, set off multiple alarms, Bongino said, and was even spotted by Secret Service officers, but was still able to come within “close proximity” of the White House and even reportedly “jiggled the door” to the executive mansion.

“The intruder set off multiple alarms, alarms that clearly showed someone breached the property, and he was seen by officers who didn't think anything of it. This is a big story,” Bongino told Fox News.

“That just shows the president is not safe there - in the White House. The Secret Service does not have the assets, they don't have personnel on the ground they need to keep him safe.”

Should a group of terrorists decide to storm the White House, the Secret Service would not be able to protect Trump, Bongino predicted.

“The Secret Service cannot even keep one person off the grounds - what will they do if 40 terrorists charge the White House?” he asked. “And believe me the terrorists are already thinking about that.”

According to the Secret Service, Tran was charged with entering a restricted building and carrying a dangerous weapon.

Trump, who was on the property, has praised the Secret Service for doing a “fantastic job” and said the suspect was “troubled.”

But Bongino said the current Secret Service management “sucks.”

“The Secret Service is stuck in their ways and don't want to redo and upgrade the White House security plan. President Trump won't be safe there until they do,” Bongino said.

House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, also blasted the latest incident and said “this keeps happening.” Chaffetz’s panel oversees the Secret Service.

He added, “Our information is incomplete at best.”

In a letter to acting Secret Service Director Bill Callahan, Chaffetz said Tran “may have attempted entry into the building. If true, these allegations raise questions about whether the agency’s security protocols are adequate.”

Chaffetz suggested there may have been alarms that were ignored by the Secret Service.

Chaffetz wants a briefing by the end of next week. He also is asking for all video from the White House grounds that night as well as logs from the Joint Operations Center and information about “alarms” at the White House.

The episode recalled another in September 2014, when Omar Gonzales penetrated the White House grounds and actually made it inside. Then-Secret Service Director Julia Pierson afterward conceded “mistakes were made.” But the Secret Service was found to have publicly lied about how far Gonzales made it into the White House.

It cost Pierson her job.

They later found the White House alarms had been muted in the Gonzales incident.

Fox News' Chad Pergram contributed to this report.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...lar+Content%29
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I'll just throw this in here...
    He's as safe in the White House as anywhere. If the Secret Service is being lax then being in Mar-A-Lago isn't going to help any.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast