Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unbelievable Origin Of ‘Piss Poor’ And Other Sayings From A Simpler Time

The Unbelievable Origin Of ‘Piss Poor’ And Other Sayings From A Simpler Time

https://www.littlethings.com/customs...pler-time-vas/

We can learn a lot about ourselves by looking to the past.

History not only provides us with a nostalgic glimpse at how things used to be — like with these classic childhood toys — but its lessons can still teach us things today.

So when I spotted this look at how life “way back when” has shaped our modern phrases and customs, I was absolutely floored!

This piece has been floating around the Internet for nearly 20 years, and its message definitely hits home.

While these facts have appeared in several forms — like in this compilation by Flo Deems of ToneByTone — below is a word-for-word re-posting of one of these versions.

And though some versions refer to life in the 1500s — and some differing opinions have been offered on these origins — I think we can definitely agree that its message resonates throughout history.

Scroll through this viral piece to rethink all those old sayings and traditions that you might still use today!

“They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot. Once a day it was taken and sold to the tannery.

If you had to do this to survive, you were ‘piss poor.’

But worse than that were the really poor folks who couldn’t even afford to buy a pot. They ‘didn’t have a pot to piss in’ and were considered the lowest of the low.”

“Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June.

However, since they were starting to smell, brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor.

Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.”

“Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water.

The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women, and finally the children. Last of all the babies.

By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, ‘Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water!’”

“Houses had thatched roofs with thick straw-piled high and no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof.

When it rained, it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying, ‘It’s raining cats and dogs.’

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed.

Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That’s how canopy beds came into existence.”

“The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the term, ‘dirt poor.’

The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on the floor to help keep their footing.

As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way.

Hence, ‘a thresh hold.’”

“In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day, they lit the fire and added things to the pot.

They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day.

Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme, ‘Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.’

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off.

It was a sign of wealth that a man could ‘bring home the bacon.’ They would cut off a little to share with guests, and would all sit around and ‘chew the fat.’”

“Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death.

This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the ‘upper crust.’”

“Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days.

Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.

They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up.

Hence the custom of holding a ‘wake.’”

“In old, small villages, local folks started running out of places to bury people.

So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave.

When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside, and they realized they had been burying people alive.

So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell.

Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (‘the graveyard shift’) to listen for the bell.

Thus, someone could be ‘saved by the bell,’ or was considered a ‘dead ringer.’

Now, whoever said history was boring?”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    gonna have to look up piss up a rope

Now we have "safe space"; "cultural appropriation"; "trigger", and a whole host of other terms reflective of today's "culture".
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

My dad talked in sayings. It's sad that some of them are dying out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
    gonna have to look up piss up a rope
    It means something that's not going to happen.

For example

Me: I'm going to be a rock star.
    you could say...
    Might as well go try to piss up a rope
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    It means something that's not going to happen.

For example

Me: I'm going to be a rock star.
    you could say...
    Might as well go try to piss up a rope
    Might as well piss in a fan is a good-n for "It's going to backfire."...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Might as well piss in a fan is a good-n for "It's going to backfire."...
    We also said pissin' in the wind.

We also said pissin' in the wind.
    Smells like the South end of a North bound cow.....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $#@!tin' in tall cotton.....

= Doing well

Smells like the South end of a North bound cow.....
    Said that, too. But my dad would say she looked like the south end of a north bound mule.

He also talked about his druthers a lot. If I had my druthers...

Can't never could

Able to see Christmas.

My granny used to say that if your shorts or skirt was too short.

$#@!ed up like a snake in a lawnmower.

#fakehistory

From Bob Fleck: An item circulating online under the title Interesting History claims, “They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot and then once a day it was sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive you were ‘piss poor’.” This screams of folk etymology. Can you offer real clarity?
    A It certainly might be a folk etymology, except that the piece is in its intention merely a mischievous attempt to deceive its readers. However, as with other tongue-in-cheek suggestions about origins, a grain of truth exists in it. Urine has been widely used in many parts of the world in the preparatory stages of tanning, in particular to help remove the hair from hides before applying tanning agents.
    Tanners at work
    Tanners at work, from Microcosm
    by W H Pyne, 1808.
    The Romans, for example, collected urine for this purpose systematically and even put a tax on it. The most famous taxer was the emperor Vespasian in the first century AD. The long-gone French public pissoirs were given the name vespasiennes as a direct link to him. Vespasian’s son is said to have objected to the disgusting origin of the tax revenues, to which in legend his father replied pecunia non olet, money doesn’t smell, a tag that from time to time is still employed to argue that money isn’t tainted by its origins.
    However, the expression piss-poor is recent and has nothing to do with tanning. The current state of research suggests that it may have been invented during the Second World War, because the first examples in print date from 1946. Though it is still classed as low slang by dictionaries, its mildly unpleasant associations have become blunted by time and familiarity.
    The origin is straightforward. Piss began to be attached to other words during the twentieth century to intensify their meaning. Ezra Pound invented piss-rotten in 1940 (distasteful or unpleasant, the first example on record) and we’ve since had piss-easy (very easy), piss-weak (cowardly or pathetic), piss-elegant (affectedly refined, pretentious), piss-awful (very unpleasant) and other forms.
    Piss-poor began life in a similar figurative sense for something that's third-rate, incompetent or useless, as it does in this recent example:
    Larkin’s letters, wrote Philippe Auclair, writer and broadcaster, were “very funny, very beautiful, and very sad; the grace of an angel, the precision of a geometer, and the short-sighted, intolerant piss-poor idées fixes of a provincial buffoon”.
    The Spectator, 27 Nov. 2010.

Americans who know the idiom so poor he didn’t have a pot to piss in, sometimes in the fuller form ... or a window to throw it out of, might wonder if this is the origin. The idiom appears in Nightwood by Djuna Barnes, published in 1936, so it does predate piss-poor. However, it’s a graphic literal reference to poverty; as piss-poor was first used in a figurative sense, it's unlikely to have been influenced by the older idiom. In fact, the literal sense of extreme poverty for piss-poor didn’t come along until a couple of decades later, which also provides another reason, if one were needed, that the story you quote is nonsense.
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pis1.htm

#fakehistory

The term originally referred to a late-night prayer vigil but is now mostly used for the social interactions accompanying a funeral. While the modern usage of the verb wake is "become or stay alert", a wake for the dead harks back to the vigil, "watch" or "guard" of earlier times. It is a misconception that people at a wake are waiting in case the deceased should "wake up"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_(ceremony)

#fakehistory

A member of the deadly nightshade family, tomatoes were erroneously thought to be poisonous by Europeans who were suspicious of their bright, shiny fruit
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    #fakehistory

In fact, the expression is boxing slang and it came into being in the latter half of the 19th century. A boxer who is in danger of losing a bout can be 'saved' from defeat by the respite signalled by bell that marks the end of a round. The earliest reference to this that I can find is in the Massachusetts newspaper The Fitchburg Daily Sentinel, February 1893:

"Martin Flaherty defeated Bobby Burns in 32 rounds by a complete knockout. Half a dozen times Flaherty was saved by the bell in the earlier rounds."
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/s...-the-bell.html

#fakehistory

So, 'dead ringer' is literally the same as 'exact duplicate'. It first came into use soon after the word ringer itself, in the US at the end of the 19th century. The earliest reference I can find that confirms the 'exact duplicate' meaning is from the Oshkosh Weekly Times, June 1888, in a court report of a man charged with being 'very drunk':

"Dat ar is a markable semlance be shoo", said Hart looking critically at the picture. "Dat's a dead ringer fo me. I nebber done see such a semblence."
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/dead-ringer.html

#fakehistory

Having said all that, there is some evidence that suggests a direct link between heavy rain that seems to precipitate cats and dogs. It comes from a poem by Jonathan Swift, A Description of a City Shower:

Sweeping from butchers’ stalls, dung, guts, and blood;
    Drown’d puppies, stinking sprats, all drench’d in mud,
    Dead cats, and turnip-tops, come tumbling down the flood.

As Swift penned these lines in 1710, nearly 30 years before he wrote the book in which raining cats and dogs appears for the first time, it just might suggest that he was quoting an expression he himself had created.
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-rai1.htm

Don't get your;

The whole OP is nothing but re-hashed net junk from 1999 and it's mostly all bull$#@!.

http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/1500.asp

Senator: The war's over. Our side won the war. Now we must busy ourselves winning the peace. And Fletcher, there's an old saying: To the victors belong the spoils.
    Fletcher: There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
    (from the film The Outlaw Josey Wales, 1976)

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

$#@!tin' in tall cotton.....

= Doing well
    She's sittin' there like she owns cotton in Augusta.

= snob or lazy if ya say it when someone's suppose to be workin'

A list of phrases that derive from seafaring

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/n...l-phrases.html

Many phrases are falsely claimed to be of a nautical origin. The list below are those with documentary evidence to support the claim of an association with the sea:

A shot across the bows

All at sea

Anchors aweigh

Batten down the hatches

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea

Broad in the beam

By and large

Chock-a-block

Close quarters

Copper-bottomed

Cut and run

Edging forward

Fathom out

Full to the gunwales

Get underway

Give a wide berth

Go by the board

Groggy

Hand over fist

Hard and fast

High and dry

In the offing

Know the ropes

Loose cannon

Mal de mer

On your beam ends

Panic stations

Plain sailing

Push the boat out

Shipshape and Bristol fashion

Shake a leg

Shiver my timbers

Slush fund

Taken aback

Tell it to the marines

The bitter end

The cut of your jib

Three sheets to the wind

Tide over

Touch and go

Walk the plank

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Arrr...

Is that spelled with three rs or 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    A list of phrases that derive from seafaring

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/n...l-phrases.html

Many phrases are falsely claimed to be of a nautical origin. The list below are those with documentary evidence to support the claim of an association with the sea:

A shot across the bows

All at sea

Anchors aweigh

Batten down the hatches

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea

Broad in the beam

By and large

Chock-a-block

Close quarters

Copper-bottomed

Cut and run

Edging forward

Fathom out

Full to the gunwales

Get underway

Give a wide berth

Go by the board

Groggy

Hand over fist

Hard and fast

High and dry

In the offing

Know the ropes

Loose cannon

Mal de mer

On your beam ends

Panic stations

Plain sailing

Push the boat out

Shipshape and Bristol fashion

Shake a leg

Shiver my timbers

Slush fund

Taken aback

Tell it to the marines

The bitter end

The cut of your jib

Three sheets to the wind

Tide over

Touch and go

Walk the plank

Some of the ol' southern sayings crack me up.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

My daddy used to tell me I was cuter than a cockroach peeping around a cast iron stove.

He also used to say, Lucy Belle Loo, you're the prettiest girl I ever knew. He never called me by my name unless he was mad.

I was usually Lucy Belle or Lead Foot Annie when I was driving. He called all my friends Princess. The ugly one loved it, bless her heart. My brothers called her Swamp Goon or Alice (from Popeye, Alice the Goon) because she had a big creek run through her backyard. She really did look like her.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Some of the ol' southern sayings crack me up.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I was cuter than a cockroach peeping around a cast iron stove.
    I'm gonna remember that for when I'm a dad.
    Last edited by Lamp; 04-30-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Busier than a:

Cat covering up $#@!.

One legged man at an ass kicking contest.

One armed paper hanger.

Sticks out like a:

Hair in a biscuit.

Turd in a punch bowl.

Sore thumb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast