Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I quit communism and leftism

How I quit communism and leftism

I am a 22-year-old Arab male college student from Lebanon, and I used to be a communist and an SJW male feminist somehow. I adopted both ideologies because I have good intentions and being naïve I became indoctrinated by my professors. Communism is great in theory, but it is a failed system and is even more unfair than capitalism.
    Lebanon is currently suffering the effects of the civil war, which are an economic crisis with inflation, high unemployment rate, the minimum wage is only 420$/month, our politicians have raised taxes by 1% and all our taxes are filling their wallets. As a result our infrastructure is poor, causing daily electrical balckouts with swollen electric bills, water shortage, overprice poor quality internet & telecommunications service, some people are dying near hospital entrances because they can’t afford it, Hezbollah are stonger than our Military, a Syrian Refugee crisis, corruption and nepotism, and a recent garbage crisis. Because the Lebanese political system is based on sectarianism, and all the politicians deals are based on confessional quotas with four major religious sects the Sunni Muslims, Shia Muslims, Maronite Christians, and Druze in addition to the religion is stated on a citizen’s ID card.
    By 2012 I left the Islamic religion to become an atheist because it is very unscientific and is ethically questionable, which made me for freedom of expression, secularism, an advocate for women’s rights in the Arab world, egalitarianism, support the LGBT community, or in other words a classical liberal.
    By 17 July 2015, the main landfill of Lebanon was closed, this caused the outbreak of the garbage crisis, in addition to 16 hour/daily power-cuts, also with 100F heat making our garbage filled streets smelling like a rotting corpse. A week later a grass-roots civil uprising organized by the #You_Stink movement in response to the garbage crisis. I have joined this movement first for achieving basic human rights and second for playing video games without power-outages interrupting me. Most member of the movement are classical liberals and social democrats and 1 or 2 are Marxists. By 23 August 2015, #YouStink organized a mass rally 60 thousand people attended demanding their basic human rights, unfortunately Amal & Hezbollah thugs hijacked the demonstration through inciting violence by throwing Molotov cocktails and rocks on police officers. This obliged the Lebanese Armed Forces to declare martial law for a few hours prompting soldiers to arrest anyone they see on all sights except for police officers, and emergency workers.
    By Fall 2015, I befriended members of the Lebanese Communist Party who also participated in the uprising (I’m still close to them) as well as took Cultural Studies, I got indoctrinated into Marxism and demonized every single CEO and Company owner on earth, and sympathizing with the poor, and less privileged people also based on their identity like race gender sexuality and disability.
    By late November 2016, I attended a lecture on intersectional feminism by the Intersectionalist Club at the Lebanese American University, I stated that “gays have it way harder than lesbian women even in Iran & KSA” and “the patriarchy harms men too” they immediately responded to me with” you’re a Lebanese cis-het male and need to check your privilege”, here when I started to dissociate myself from radical feminists and social justice warriors. Then I started watching many anti-sjw and MRA youtubers. I also became a social democrat, because I saw how communist countries are corrupt and suffering the horror of an economic crisis, like in Venezuela, North Korea, Cuba, and the infamous exploitation of child labour which contradicts Marxian principle, and the equal outcome concept which also contradicts Marxism with “From each according to his ability, to each according to his need”.
    Then I became a classical liberal/libertarian after watching a discussion with Peter Schiff and occupy protesters on free market capitalism, he explained to them how heavy taxation is harmful and is the face of crony capitalism, and how people are out of jobs, the regulations hurt the economy especially small & medium companies, and free market economies have helped the poor succeed like in Hong Kong , how the Federal Reserve is corrupt, and how he predicted the financial crisis but everyone laughed at him. I also realized that big government is harmful, and the bigger it is the more tyrannical it gets, and the US government is already big and corrupt, making it involved in wars and revolutions harming the world like what they did to Iraq, Libya , Afghanistan, The Chilean Coup, and the mindless support for Israel.
    I also did research about Rafik Al Hariri former Lebanese Prime Minister from 1998-2004, he was an extremely wealthy businessman, had been assassinated by Hezbollah and the Syrian Army, and the reason he was killed is he wanted to bring back Laissez Faire economics of 1960s Lebanon where our economy was thriving, and if you ask any Economist in Lebanon they will tell you that Rafik Al Hariri was “making Lebanon great again” economically.
    Even though I support free market capitalism, I believe that healthcare should be free only when necessary, same for education but it should be cheaper. And the US government should decrease spending on Military, and Israel.
    PS: Excuse my English as I learn it as a 2nd language. And If you are interested in my anti-sjw story I will post later.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibn.AL.Muqafaa View Post
    Even though I support free market capitalism, I believe that healthcare should be free only when necessary, same for education but it should be cheaper.
    Meh, you are a smart guy, you'll come around soon.

Health care would be very cheap if we had a free market, but medicine is one of the most regulated industries on the planet. Prices send important signals in the market that tell companies how much to charge, how much to buy, how much to pay for things, etc... It helps consumers make choices, and thus allocates resources the most efficiently. When the government gets involved these signals get distorted. Right now healthcare is out of control expensive because nobody shops around for better or cheaper healthcare options - this is because they either have no choice or somebody else is paying for it so they don't care, or a combination.

Competition and markets would drastically reduce the cost of health care. I'm talking about getting rid of the government licensing schemes and the whole bit. If health care was really cheap, then it would be easy for people to help those voluntarily who are too poor to afford it.

Who paid for your education to indoctrinate you into communism? I'm guessing it was paid for, or at least heavily subsidized by the state. State schooling is one of the biggest reasons why leftism is able to flourish. State schools teach children to worship the government, because they are the government.

You should checkout Stefan Molyneux's youtube channel sometime as well. You might even consider calling in, he would be interested in hearing your story. He is an anarcho-capitalist, who supports Trump, and is particularly troubled by the European Migrant Crisis.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-16-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Meh, you are a smart guy, you'll come around soon.

Health care would be very cheap if we had a free market, but medicine is one of the most regulated industries on the planet. Prices send important signals in the market that tell companies how much to charge, how much to buy, how much to pay for things, etc... It helps consumers make choices, and thus allocates resources the most efficiently. When the government gets involved these signals get distorted. Right now healthcare is out of control expensive because nobody shops around for better or cheaper healthcare options - this is because they either have no choice or somebody else is paying for it so they don't care, or a combination.

Competition and markets would drastically reduce the cost of health care. I'm talking about getting rid of the government licensing schemes and the whole bit. If health care was really cheap, then it would be easy for people to help those voluntarily who are too poor to afford it.

Who paid for your education to indoctrinate you into communism? I'm guessing it was paid for, or at least heavily subsidized by the state. State schooling is one of the biggest reasons why leftism is able to flourish. State schools teach children to worship the government, because they are the government.

You should checkout Stefan Molyneux's youtube channel sometime as well. You might even consider calling in, he would be interested in hearing your story. He is an anarcho-capitalist, who supports Trump, and is particularly troubled by the European Migrant Crisis.
    What about tax dollars?

Greetings Al Muqafaa . In a free market there would be many more prosperous people that can voluntarily donate for the health care needs of the truly needy . It would work here in the US as people are generous by nature . Education is an entirely different matter . In my state it is guaranteed in the state constitution . It would be cheaper ( by half ) if privatized as proven through comparison of average cost of private school compared to what is spent from state tax monies and property tax monies in the tax provided education.
    Do something Danke

And I am not sure about anarchism, we need a government to protect our rights and from terrorism like a police force and military.
    Look at Somalia back then, Libya now.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Greetings Al Muqafaa . In a free market there would be many more prosperous people that can voluntarily donate for the health care needs of the truly needy . It would work here in the US as people are generous by nature . Education is an entirely different matter . In my state it is guaranteed in the state constitution . It would be cheaper ( by half ) if privatized as proven through comparison of average cost of private school compared to what is spent from state tax monies and property tax monies in the tax provided education.
    What about Scandinavian countries they provide free healthcare?

I have not lived in scandinavia but if they are providing healthcare it would be with taxes . I am opposed to that .
    Do something Danke

It's not "free". It's tax funded. PLUS Swedes pay a copay for each doctor visit. https://www.wsj.com/articles/health-...den-1434486732 From your tone you seem young. My advice to you-learn early and take to heart TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch). IOW, nothing (except for super-abundant things, which are very few) is truly "free" in this world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

And I am not sure about anarchism, we need a government to protect our rights and from terrorism like a police force and military.
    Look at Somalia back then, Libya now.
    The only entity that can violate your "rights" is government. In regards to your neighbor...do you own a weapon?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    The only entity that can violate your "rights" is government. In regards to your neighbor...do you own a weapon?
    You've got to get him to agree to your position on rights first before the first statement has any real meaning. Borrowing from osan the "Freeman" establishes what he believes are his rights with his mind and defends the reified concept with his own life. If someone does not first agree to something akin to the idealized "Freeman", then they probably believe rights are whatever the government makes of them because they are unwilling to assert their own understanding of rights and defend them with their blood.

Telling an individual to prepare to defend themselves against organized thugs usually does not strike a chord. Better put: does he own a weapon, and has he coordinated with others similar to himself that have weapons? Does he have a system in place for the event his rights are violated by others and recourse must be obtained outside of his personal endeavors? Has he formed a league of like-minded men that will sustain society even in the event one of them falls, so their vision will live on?

It takes a highly developed sense of civic duty and responsibility, what I prefer to think of as gravitas, for man as a unit, and men as a whole to be prepared to meet organized violence absent resorting to a government. After all, failure to be properly organized and vigilant is how the state triumphs.

Ibn.AL.Muqafaa, welcome to the site. Plenty of great people here, with a lot of heated disagreements to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Then how can we deal with Mafias, Criminals, rapists and false accusers, terrorists, If u have no government and no police and military force?
    I don't own a gun, because they are expensive and you need a licence which requires a long ass and expensive gun training, pass a gun use course and a mental health exam.
    Last edited by Ibn.AL.Muqafaa; 03-17-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Then how can we deal with Mafias, Criminals, rapists and false accusers, terrorists, If u have no government and no police and military force?
    I don't own a gun, because they are expensive and you need a licence which requires a long ass and expensive gun training, pass a gun use course and a mental health exam.
    You need to seperate current paradigm and one you would like.

Currently government is a perfectly fine vehicle for providing safety. It will have a measure of corruption as all things have corruption and will get corrupted. Even anarchist Utopias.

However your goal as a freedom loving person should not be government monopoly on violence. First and foremost it's immoral. Second it's less efficient although satisfactory when not too corrupt.

As to owning a gun. It should be the cheapest although not most effective way to defend one self. If you have liscences, training requirements and artificially high gun prices that is the fault of government and leaders who make it so. Most effective way btw is private security, then location and lastly personal weapons.

How does the Mafia, criminals, etal exert themselves on their victims? How does Momma Government exert itself on its people?

l
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Then what should be done to people who break the law?
    Should they be rehabilitated, or ostracized?

Then what should be done to people who break the law?
    Should they be rehabilitated, or ostracized?
    Why do you care? Are you in law enforcement or judicial system?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On your first point change...

It sounds as though you are still on your journey and I wish you well. It sounds like you're getting closer and closer as you travel. But whatever you do, don't get distracted by this guy:
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    Currently government is a perfectly fine vehicle for providing safety. It will have a measure of corruption as all things have corruption and will get corrupted. Even anarchist Utopias.
    Government does not exist to provide you with safety, nor is it good at it. As Bastiat instructed, the reason why good men create governments is to ensure liberty. This is something governments can do, although they're not very good at keeping it to that. As soon as they become perverted, their original purpose is lost.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

PS: Excuse my English as I learn it as a 2nd language.
    .تكتب اللغة انجيزية بشكل جيد. أفضل من بعض امريكيين هنا
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    .تكتب اللغة انجيزية بشكل جيد. أفضل من بعض امريكيين هنا
    المنطق الخاص بك خال من العيوب

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    المنطق الخاص بك خال من العيوب
    Google translate is not so great for English to Arabic.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

What about tax dollars?
    Taxation is theft
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

There are a few northern European countries who had semblance of a decent healthcare system under socialism, but it wasn't good because of socialism, it was good because these countries had an excess of wealth. This is temporary, not sustainable, eventually you tap out your wealth. These countries will find or are finding that their healthcare will deteriorate over time. In fact, most of them didn't have enough kids and so they don't have anybody to pay into their entitlement programs. The government decided to import immigrants to tax to pay for these things, and now these countries are having a migrant crisis, a lot of the immigrants are on welfare and so they are really in a mess. There are plenty of other countries who have socialized medicine that have relatively poor or very poor healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    There are a few northern European countries who had semblance of a decent healthcare system under socialism, but it wasn't good because of socialism, it was good because these countries had an excess of wealth. This is temporary, not sustainable, eventually you tap out your wealth. These countries will find or are finding that their healthcare will deteriorate over time. In fact, most of them didn't have enough kids and so they don't have anybody to pay into their entitlement programs. The government decided to import immigrants to tax to pay for these things, and now these countries are having a migrant crisis, a lot of the immigrants are on welfare and so they are really in a mess. There are plenty of other countries who have socialized medicine that have relatively poor or very poor healthcare.
    Not to mention that their R&D is being subsidized by the free market here. The amount of new drugs and treatments coming from countries with socialized medicine pales in comparison. But once that research and development is done, they certainly capitalize on it. But just think of what would happen if there were NO free market to prop up their systems. (Or if they had to spend their own resources on their own defense. They wouldn't have the ability to fund their "generous" programs.)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Welcome here, Ibn! Great story!

And your English is really good.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Google translate is not so great for English to Arabic.
    or any language to any other language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

The free market can provide healthcare just fine if the government would just get out of the way. Wanting the government involved in education at any capacity is a recipe for disaster.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

Then how do u maintain your infrastructure?

Then how do u maintain your infrastructure?
    Assuming that you're referring to Bastiat's post, healthcare and education can both be run as for-profit ventures, at which point those providing the services will cover the cost of maintaining the infrastructure, either by doing it themselves or by paying someone else to do it.
    Pinochet is the model

If we keep out the government from healthcare and education, will prices be cheaper, and are they affordable even to the poor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast