Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix Movie gems

Netflix Movie gems

Anyway, going to start this thread for people to suggest good movies that are on Netflix. I am sure I am not the only one who goes through their library without knowing what to pick. This is a thread to help with that dilemma

First on this list is "Life on the road with David Brent". It is a British comedy made by the same people who made the original "The office". I haven't watched it myself but seeing that I love British comedies, love the office and have a man crush on Ricky Gervias. I think this would be a good watch.

Post a movie/documentary title after watching and rate it using the hilarious but poignant rating system I borrowed from spills.com.

Rating System
    - Better than sex
    - Full price
    - Matinee
    - Rental
    - Some ol Bullsh*t
    - Fu*k you.

Please just movies and documentaries for now. No TV show series.
    Last edited by juleswin; 03-16-2017 at 03:25 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Tom Petty Rockumentary is good.

I just started watching the series "Santa Clarita Diet" with Drew Barrymore, it's pretty crazy
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try when next I am searching for something to watch.

Life on the road with David Brent was fantastic, it had a lot of very funny jokes mixed with periods where you felt sorry for the lead character. There is just something about his comedies that get to me. Its the loser guy who tries to be popular with the lads, gets embarrassed but some how finds redemption in the end.

On that rating scale. I give it a Full Price
    Last edited by juleswin; 03-16-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Prohibition

Rating: Rental
    Only because I wouldn't want to sit in a theater that long.

I watched Ken Burns Prohibition documentary with Mr Animal. It was surprisingly good. I generally don't care for Ken Burns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Prohibition

Rating: Rental
    Only because I wouldn't want to sit in a theater that long.

I watched Ken Burns Prohibition documentary with Mr Animal. It was surprisingly good. I generally don't care for Ken Burns.
    Is that on netflix?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Is that on netflix?
    I think so. We don;t have cable so it's either Netflix or Hulu.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Classics , if you have not seen them are , The Departed , Usual Suspects and Apocalypse Now .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Classics , if you have not seen them are , The Departed , Usual Suspects and Apocalypse Now .
    I was just about to search for something to watch on Netflix and then you posted this . Seen the first 2 movies, going for Apocalypse Now.

Check out HUSH, the 2016 release, surprisingly good little indy thriller.

Apocalypse now is no longer on Netflix or Amazon prime TV. Hush it is

If you haven't seen it, just watch it. Don't ruin it with the trailers, just start the movie.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Also a film called Snatch , 2000 crime movie with Benicio Del Toro
    Do something Danke

That film was directed by Guy Ritchie when he was married to Madonna, that's why there was the thing about "Lucky Star" in the car scene.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I watched another 2 very very good movies. One is on amazon prime and the other on netflix respectively.

Ex Machina: This lovely movie is a mystery, sci fi movie that doesn't quite play like a typical sci fi movie.It is the sort of movie that you search google for the explanation of the ending after watching it. The movie is about an inventor, a humanoid robot and a lottery winner who is coming to test the robot on how realistic it is.

I don't wanna give too much away but the story is very engaging, the characters are well developed to the point that you have a very strong emotion about every single one of them. If you have amazon prime, you have to give it a try. Also, it has a little bit of non sexual nudity towards the end. So you might not want to watch it with little children in the room.

Rating: Full price.

The Babadook
    : This is a scary movie that is unlike anything I have seen before. The movie is about single mother and her annoying son who started encountering a monster called babadook after they read a bedtime story. It is scary beyond belief but it avoid using the jump scares that usually accompanies scary movies. Instead it immerses you into these peoples lives to the point that you sympathize with them and their fears becomes yours.

Rating: Better than sex.
    Last edited by juleswin; 03-26-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Ex machina contains some nudity

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

Rating: Full Price

Most sales people know about this movie but almost none of them have watched it.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/60010399
    Last edited by timosman; 03-26-2017 at 12:56 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia

Rating: Almost as good as sex.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/70274597
    Last edited by timosman; 03-26-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post

Rating: Almost as good as sex.
    Please include which streaming movies services that they play on. Thanks for the contribution

Please include which streaming movies services that they play on. Thanks for the contribution
    I thought Netflix was the only option.

I'll second Tucket & Dale Vs Evil. It's better than sex

The Big Lebowski if you like offbeat stories. Better than sex

Full Price :
    The Cabin in the woods for a genre bending story

Cube
    Primer
    both of those are low budget sci-fi (ish) movies that are
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

I thought Netflix was the only option.
    You are right. I would from now on assume everything posted is on netflix

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I just started watching the series "Santa Clarita Diet" with Drew Barrymore, it's pretty crazy
    I watched the first few episodes and couldn't get into it. Maybe it gets better or maybe I wasn't in the mood. I'll probably revisit it later, though.

Glenngary Glen Ross
    Rating: Full Price

Most sales people know about this movie but almost none of them have watched it.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/60010399
    Wow, that was a good movie. I did not know the job of salesmen was this interesting. Its all about the damn leads.

^^^^what I said after watching it^^^^

This is the sort of movies I started this thread for. I would rep you if I could.

Definitely a full price movie.

One of the funniest movies ever made.

"Oi! I thought you said he was a getaway driver? What the $#@! can he get away from, eh?"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    One of the funniest movies ever made.

"Oi! I thought you said he was a getaway driver? What the $#@! can he get away from, eh?"
    That $#@! is excellent .
    Do something Danke

10 Cloverfield lane

This is another good horror/mystery movie. I was going to put in a preview of the movie but I think its more enjoyable to watch it with as little clips of what happened in the movie as possible. It is an apocalypse, aliens type movie and that all you really need to know.

Streamed on Amazonprime

Ratings: Full price

Blazing Saddles is available...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

BBC Extras just came on Netflix.

Andy Millman is a British fellow who quits his day job to pursue fame and fortune in the film industry. Unfortunately, because of the "good luck" of real actors, Andy can't seem to land the big parts he'd like -- so he resigns himself to working as an extra. Through his travels, however, Andy gets to meet some of the biggest names in the business(reall hollywood actors)

Only 2 seasons, 10 episodes and the most amazing christmas special ever made.

Rating: Better than sex

The Babadook
    : This is a scary movie that is unlike anything I have seen before. The movie is about single mother and her annoying son who started encountering a monster called babadook after they read a bedtime story. It is scary beyond belief but it avoid using the jump scares that usually accompanies scary movies. Instead it immerses you into these peoples lives to the point that you sympathize with them and their fears becomes yours.

Rating: Better than sex.
    The Babadook creature represents certain emotions of one of the characters. Another metaphorical type film is:

Was on netflix in January, not sure if it still is.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The Babadook creature represents certain emotions of one of the characters. Another metaphorical type film is:

Was on netflix in January, not sure if it still is.
    Saw it and loved it too. It Follows is still on Netflix. It also has non sexual, girl topless scenes in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast