Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The need for a strong Libertarian Party candidate in 2020

The need for a strong Libertarian Party candidate in 2020

I will not change my belief that the Liberty Movement should focus on state and congressional offices first and only spend a little time on the 2020 presidential race. But I will admit this seems a little harder (and that is beyond how immensely hard it already was). Most Liberty Movement candidates will run as Republicans, but the many independents and liberals who supported Ron Paul and Rand Paul probably want nothing to do with the Republicans right now. And it will probably be difficult to tell how much any Liberty Movement candidate is willing to break with Trump anyway.

I think one plan that might help is to try to trip up both Trump and the far left with a strong Libertarian Party candidate in 2020. It would be awesome if we can get the candidate into the debates. I have some hope that the recent legal controversy will make the debate threshold a little more realistic in 2020. Then the candidate could campaign to take electoral votes usually thought secure by both the Republican and Democrats. This strategy might work best if the Democrats nominate someone from the far left instead of a more centrist option. If this were especially successful, the LP nominee could keep both presidential candidates from 270 electoral votes and send the election to the House of Representatives for only the third time in history. The last time this happened led to one of the major political realignments in American history.

This is far-fetched, and this plan should not take away from any strong contender for lower office. But this may help to draw distinctions for candidates in races for all levels of government. Despite the past failings of the party, it might be helpful to have candidates running as Libertarians for a short time until they can influence either of the major parties.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Honestly, and I feel dirty saying this, but if the LP wants to win, or have a very strong showing, they need to nominate Austin Petersen. I don't think he is even a real libertarian, his rejection of the NAP and insistence on the idea that the government needs to force some things to happen make him a minarchist in my eyes. But he is smart, well-spoken, has a strong personality, and serious, everything you want in a Presidential Candidate. I am still convinced the LP would have made a much stronger showing if he had been nominated over Johnson.

Anyone but Johnson.. really
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    The LP would indeed benefit if they nominated someone who wasn't a pothead.

But this is the LP we're talking about.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

The sharpest talking guy i know is Tom Woods - doubt he's interested in politics though.

They had like five strong candidates last time.
    And they chose Johnson.
    Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Honestly, and I feel dirty saying this, but if the LP wants to win, or have a very strong showing, they need to nominate Austin Petersen. I don't think he is even a real libertarian, his rejection of the NAP and insistence on the idea that the government needs to force some things to happen make him a minarchist in my eyes. But he is smart, well-spoken, has a strong personality, and serious, everything you want in a Presidential Candidate. I am still convinced the LP would have made a much stronger showing if he had been nominated over Johnson.
    You forgot that he's well dressed and good looking with great hair.
    Probably the three most important things for a POTUS candidate.

You're not going to find a candidate who can't name something to make the government force to happen - even Ron Paul has some things he won't let go.
    But if Petersen had won the candidacy I might have voted. Hell, I would have tried to convince a lot of people to vote for him, too.
    I certainly wouldn't have called all his supporters retards, like I did with Johnson.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I was actually rather pleased with Johnson's 3.3 percent. I doubt anyone else could have done significantly better. Of course, I hope the LP chooses someone other than Johnson next time. Maybe Petersen will run again. However, the LP should get someone who can compete in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, or at least in the Democrat-leaning swing states of Nevada, Colorado and Virginia. On the other hand the candidate should also be able to do well in Arizona, Missouri and North Carolina, and that might be Petersen.

Quote Originally Posted by givemeliberty2010 View Post
    both Trump and the far left
    Redundant.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    McAfee - cybersecurity - the one with the best grasp on it both foreign and domestic
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I will not change my belief that the Liberty Movement should focus on state and congressional offices first and only spend a little time on the 2020 presidential race. But I will admit this seems a little harder (and that is beyond how immensely hard it already was). Most Liberty Movement candidates will run as Republicans, but the many independents and liberals who supported Ron Paul and Rand Paul probably want nothing to do with the Republicans right now. And it will probably be difficult to tell how much any Liberty Movement candidate is willing to break with Trump anyway.

I think one plan that might help is to try to trip up both Trump and the far left with a strong Libertarian Party candidate in 2020. It would be awesome if we can get the candidate into the debates. I have some hope that the recent legal controversy will make the debate threshold a little more realistic in 2020. Then the candidate could campaign to take electoral votes usually thought secure by both the Republican and Democrats. This strategy might work best if the Democrats nominate someone from the far left instead of a more centrist option. If this were especially successful, the LP nominee could keep both presidential candidates from 270 electoral votes and send the election to the House of Representatives for only the third time in history. The last time this happened led to one of the major political realignments in American history.

This is far-fetched, and this plan should not take away from any strong contender for lower office. But this may help to draw distinctions for candidates in races for all levels of government. Despite the past failings of the party, it might be helpful to have candidates running as Libertarians for a short time until they can influence either of the major parties.
    If the race is Trump v Elizabeth Warren v a decent LP candidate, I could see no one getting to 270. I agree that having a Liberty Movement candidate in the debates will only help down ballot candidates.

I was actually rather pleased with Johnson's 3.3 percent. I doubt anyone else could have done significantly better.
    Yes. The LP way outperformed any previous election results. I have the same objections to Johnson as everybody else, but it's hard to complain about how the LP could have gotten more votes with a different candidate when they broke all previous records.

I'd be okay with a Petersen/McAfee double bill. If Petersen refines his communication skills before next time, he can be very effective. I didn't think the petulant kid persona he was sporting in 2016 was too great.

Really, I found the whole LP batch pretty spasmodic and/or eccentric last time, including of course Johnson. I'm still waiting for somebody principled and charismatic to come out of nowhere. Somebody on the level of a Badnarik or Browne, but it's getting tough to believe such a thing exists. A strong female candidate in the Pres or VP slot would be ideal politically. Tonie Nathan still has the distinction of being the first woman to get an electoral vote. There is a great opportunity in 2020 if the right person steps forward and captures the nomination.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

The LP could have run a vial of bubonic plague and broken 3% in that field.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I might have voted.
    +rep thanks for thinking about voting. Maybe next time!
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I predict the libertarian party cannot field a strong candidate and will get a lower percentage of the vote than they got with johnson . And , that tells you everything you need to know .
    Do something Danke

William Weld/Bob Barr 2020 thank you for your endorsement of their ticket
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Chuck Baldwin/Austin Petersen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Chuck Baldwin/Austin Petersen?
    Sounds nice. But I'd love to see some relatively big name media figures like Stossel/Napolitano. It really needs to be somebody who knows how to get MSM attention.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    *puts ketchup on her crow*

my bad

I'd vote for dead people first

McAfee - cybersecurity - the one with the best grasp on it both foreign and domestic
    'Twas my choice last go-round...(After Rand dropped out)

At least he has lumps.......
    Last edited by tod evans; 03-16-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Let me be the first to say it: Lindsey Graham. His discontent with the GOP and Trump are obvious. He can bring in GOP voters. He can raise money from wealthy donors. He is well known, and the media will go crazy with it. It would be a very high profile campaign. He will be LGBT and pot friendly. McMullin, who also gained some fame as a POTUS candidate can be VP. That would solidify the Romney camp support.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Let me be the first to say it: Lindsey Graham. His discontent with the GOP and Trump are obvious. He can bring in GOP voters. He can raise money from wealthy donors. He is well known, and the media will go crazy with it. It would be a very high profile campaign. He will be LGBT and pot friendly. McMullin, who also gained some fame as a POTUS candidate can be VP. That would solidify the Romney camp support.
    Add Karl Rove to that ticket and you have some real credibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    They had like five strong candidates last time.
    And they chose Johnson.

You forgot that he's well dressed and good looking with great hair.
    Probably the three most important things for a POTUS candidate.

You're not going to find a candidate who can't name something to make the government force to happen - even Ron Paul has some things he won't let go.
    But if Petersen had won the candidacy I might have voted. Hell, I would have tried to convince a lot of people to vote for him, too.
    I certainly wouldn't have called all his supporters retards, like I did with Johnson.
    For me, the difference between Ron Paul and Austin Petersen is that I think Paul really does want to transition to an all voluntary government and if given power he would work towards that goal. Petersen doesn't and wouldn't. He would absolutely shrink the government because his ideal government is smaller than the one we have now, but I don't think he would try and move us towards a government that follows the NAP itself or holds non-compulsion as a goal.

You're right about Petersen though. He really does have great hair. And if he had been the nominee I am positive that more Republicans would have voted for him. I believe that the LP might have even been able to make a bigger impact everywhere but especially in some of the bubble states like Utah, where the third party candidate, who was more traditionally Republican than Trump, took 23% of the vote.

It really doesn't matter.

Maybe if Amash were the candidate I'd care. But otherwise, the only relevance of the LP presidential candidate will be to provide more fodder for mocking the LP.

sometimes, the sarcasm in this forum is astounding - Lindsey Graham.. I about peed myself

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    I believe that the LP might have even been able to make a bigger impact everywhere but especially in some of the bubble states like Utah, where the third party candidate, who was more traditionally Republican than Trump, took 23% of the vote.
    There we go. More support for McMullin! Might be able to break LP records in Utah with him on the ticket.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

and multiple prostitutes say he paid them to poop on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    and multiple prostitutes say he paid them to poop on his face.
    I think this falls into to categories.. wait 3

1 - ewww
    2 - his body, his choice and
    3 - I missed this tidbit during the campaign

I think this falls into to categories.. wait 3

1 - ewww
    2 - his body, his choice and
    3 - I missed this tidbit during the campaign
    yeah, they had a documentary on him all ready to go and smear the hell out of him in case he was nominated. its on Netflix now though.

Quote Originally Posted by merkelstan View Post
    The sharpest talking guy i know is Tom Woods - doubt he's interested in politics though.
    I wish Tom Woods would run - he knows his stance well, he's got his podcast, his books, and a consistent history to back him up. Add to that he'd probably get a Ron Paul endorsement, and you've got a pretty strong candidate.
    However, he's made clear that his priorities are with his family.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by not.your.average.joe View Post
    I wish Tom Woods would run - he knows his stance well, he's got his podcast, his books, and a consistent history to back him up. Add to that he'd probably get a Ron Paul endorsement, and you've got a pretty strong candidate.
    However, he's made clear that his priorities are with his family.

I personally wish Andrew Napolitano would run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast