Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1kilo gold bar OR 2300oz silver?

1kilo gold bar OR 2300oz silver?

Your thoughts?

Lets just say I was in the market to unload some cash. Would you go 1kilo of Gold ~$19,400 OR an equal value in silver, which is around 2300 oz's of silver.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The silver would be much harder for someone to steal.

I would not buy gold any larger than 1 Oz and probably smaller . That much silver , probably some 10 oz bars and the rest in coins .
    Do something Danke

Silver.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Gold.. if just for the volume aspect.. much easier to transport/hide.. takes up less space than the silver
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Lord Xar, what would be your purpose/reasoning for your purchase?

I would say that the two problems with the single bar are that 1) if you were to need -some- of that money in the future it will be less flexible, and 2) finding a single buyer for a $20,000 bar is going to be more difficult than finding buyer(s) for a pile of coins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I would say that the two problems with the single bar are that 1) if you were to need -some- of that money in the future it will be less flexible, and 2) finding a single buyer for a $20,000 bar is going to be more difficult than finding buyer(s) for a pile of coins.
    Finding somebody who could lift a 158 pound, bar of silver would be another problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Finding somebody who could lift a 158 pound, bar of silver would be another problem.
    Delivery truck drivers have seen weirder $#@!, I'm sure.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    Your thoughts?

Lets just say I was in the market to unload some cash. Would you go 1kilo of Gold ~$19,400 OR an equal value in silver, which is around 2300 oz's of silver.
    Split it, in small denomination coins.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Split it, in small denomination coins.
    Sounds about right to me .
    Do something Danke

Hermie: Silver? I thought you wanted gold.

Yukon: I changed my mind!

...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

That is a tough one to relate to. I've always been a silver guy because it has fit better into my budget. But if I had that kind of cash laying around and I was satisfied with my investments in productive assets I'd probably go with the gold. Assuming this isn't a monthly conundrum you could stack 2300 ounces of silver over a time-frame in the future if you decided to whereas you can't buy a part of a 1 kilo bar on a monthly basis.

Buying more than $10,000 at a time can trigger reporting requirements and government forms to fill out. https://www.golddealer.com/investmen...-transactions/

Forms 1099B and 8300 are easily avoidable . 1099B just has to be more than 24 hours while you split the purchase ( cash) , 8300 is also 24 hours . These only apply to actual cash and money orders , not checks or wire transfers.
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-14-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As of July 1 2016 , there is no tax in Indiana on coins .
    Do something Danke

Right now, Silver. I'd also consider Platinum. And if buying just one metal would result in my total holdings of precious metals being too heavily weighted to just that one, then I would divide it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Buying more than $10,000 at a time can trigger reporting requirements and government forms to fill out. https://www.golddealer.com/investmen...-transactions/

That's why you go to a private dealer, like the one many of us have been going to for years. Any potential requirements all reside on his end as it's a purely cash deal and out. I'm big on bitcoin but if I had to pick a bigger upside between gold and silver, it would be silver hands down. Yet, the rarity and potential for bitcoin out-does metals. However, considering this is a likely off the books cash purchase it would likely have to be a metals purchase unless you can find a BTM that would process that kind of cash w/ on hand BTC or locate a private seller on localbitcoins that would feel comfortable engaging in such a transaction in person.

The 1099b is not a serious offense ( 50 dollar fine ) . The other is . As FSP Rebel pointed out , hopefully everyone already has a dealer they have been doing business with . I am exempt because I do not really fool with bullion . There is no money in bullion for the dealer.
    Do something Danke

Posted not as a service to anybody here, but furiously looking for any little thing to discourage people here.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

The gov. taxes large gold bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    Your thoughts?

Silver, hands down.

BTW, if you want to buy gold in such quantities, it would behoove you to buy casting shot. It is the closest to the commodity price you are likely to find, beside what an ignorant and mostly senile grandma might ask.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Lord Xar, what would be your purpose/reasoning for your purchase?
    Seeing as how you have not shared your objective, I cannot give you good advice at this time.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But thank you for the thread, to get people thinking about buying gold or silver! Which is a good thing, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    But thank you for the thread, to get people thinking about buying gold or silver! Which is a good thing, in my opinion.
    I do it daily , because it is fun .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by kfarnan View Post
    The gov. taxes large gold bars.
    Metals are taxed as "collectables" which has a 25% tax rate on profits vs as low as ten percent for long term capital gains. Your state may add sales tax on the purchase too.

Not all metals are taxed. Only certain weights and amounts are reported in 1099B. Just telling bold lies.
    Last edited by kfarnan; 03-17-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Silver, as its undervalued relative gold based on the GSR.

Metals are taxed as "collectables" which has a 25% tax rate on profits vs as low as ten percent for long term capital gains. Your state may add sales tax on the purchase too.
    You must love being taxed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast