Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1kilo gold bar OR 2300oz silver?

Default 1kilo gold bar OR 2300oz silver?

Your thoughts?

Lets just say I was in the market to unload some cash. Would you go 1kilo of Gold ~$19,400 OR an equal value in silver, which is around 2300 oz's of silver.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The silver would be much harder for someone to steal.

I would not buy gold any larger than 1 Oz and probably smaller . That much silver , probably some 10 oz bars and the rest in coins .
    Support CalExit . Danke Do Something

Silver.
    Freedom index

~Resident Badgiraffe

Gold.. if just for the volume aspect.. much easier to transport/hide.. takes up less space than the silver
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Lord Xar, what would be your purpose/reasoning for your purchase?
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

No enemies to the right

I would say that the two problems with the single bar are that 1) if you were to need -some- of that money in the future it will be less flexible, and 2) finding a single buyer for a $20,000 bar is going to be more difficult than finding buyer(s) for a pile of coins.
    Beyond hope:
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    I think [Trump] is going to cut the [Pentagon] budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    [Paul Ryan being kicked out of speakership] happens soon after the vote fails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Within the first 100 days Trump/Rand will have Ryan gone as Speaker.

Still hopeful:
    Quote Originally Posted by Galileo Galilei View Post
    Expect [a government shutdown] in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    I give Trump 1 year to put [Clinton] in jail. See you in January 2018 about this issue.
    The Fed is NOT safe from audit, Trump has said he wants to audit the fed and we may have some bills coming up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I would say that the two problems with the single bar are that 1) if you were to need -some- of that money in the future it will be less flexible, and 2) finding a single buyer for a $20,000 bar is going to be more difficult than finding buyer(s) for a pile of coins.
    Finding somebody who could lift a 158 pound, bar of silver would be another problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Finding somebody who could lift a 158 pound, bar of silver would be another problem.
    Delivery truck drivers have seen weirder $#@!, I'm sure.
    Beyond hope:
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    I think [Trump] is going to cut the [Pentagon] budget.
    [Paul Ryan being kicked out of speakership] happens soon after the vote fails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Within the first 100 days Trump/Rand will have Ryan gone as Speaker.

Still hopeful:
    Quote Originally Posted by Galileo Galilei View Post
    Expect [a government shutdown] in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    I give Trump 1 year to put [Clinton] in jail. See you in January 2018 about this issue.
    The Fed is NOT safe from audit, Trump has said he wants to audit the fed and we may have some bills coming up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    Your thoughts?

Lets just say I was in the market to unload some cash. Would you go 1kilo of Gold ~$19,400 OR an equal value in silver, which is around 2300 oz's of silver.
    Split it, in small denomination coins.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Split it, in small denomination coins.
    Sounds about right to me .

Hermie: Silver? I thought you wanted gold.

Yukon: I changed my mind!

He lives in a constructed reality wherein he is fighting against the forces of evil on the internet. The exact nature of the evil has varied over time. At first, it was the Jews

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

That is a tough one to relate to. I've always been a silver guy because it has fit better into my budget. But if I had that kind of cash laying around and I was satisfied with my investments in productive assets I'd probably go with the gold. Assuming this isn't a monthly conundrum you could stack 2300 ounces of silver over a time-frame in the future if you decided to whereas you can't buy a part of a 1 kilo bar on a monthly basis.

Buying more than $10,000 at a time can trigger reporting requirements and government forms to fill out. https://www.golddealer.com/investmen...-transactions/
    "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." - William Gibson

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Forms 1099B and 8300 are easily avoidable . 1099B just has to be more than 24 hours while you split the purchase ( cash) , 8300 is also 24 hours . These only apply to actual cash and money orders , not checks or wire transfers.
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-14-2017 at 01:27 PM.

As of July 1 2016 , there is no tax in Indiana on coins .

Right now, Silver. I'd also consider Platinum. And if buying just one metal would result in my total holdings of precious metals being too heavily weighted to just that one, then I would divide it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Buying more than $10,000 at a time can trigger reporting requirements and government forms to fill out. https://www.golddealer.com/investmen...-transactions/

That's why you go to a private dealer, like the one many of us have been going to for years. Any potential requirements all reside on his end as it's a purely cash deal and out. I'm big on bitcoin but if I had to pick a bigger upside between gold and silver, it would be silver hands down. Yet, the rarity and potential for bitcoin out-does metals. However, considering this is a likely off the books cash purchase it would likely have to be a metals purchase unless you can find a BTM that would process that kind of cash w/ on hand BTC or locate a private seller on localbitcoins that would feel comfortable engaging in such a transaction in person.

The 1099b is not a serious offense ( 50 dollar fine ) . The other is . As FSP Rebel pointed out , hopefully everyone already has a dealer they have been doing business with . I am exempt because I do not really fool with bullion . There is no money in bullion for the dealer.

Posted not as a service to anybody here, but furiously looking for any little thing to discourage people here.
    He lives in a constructed reality wherein he is fighting against the forces of evil on the internet. The exact nature of the evil has varied over time. At first, it was the Jews

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

The gov. taxes large gold bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    Your thoughts?

Silver, hands down.

BTW, if you want to buy gold in such quantities, it would behoove you to buy casting shot. It is the closest to the commodity price you are likely to find, beside what an ignorant and mostly senile grandma might ask.

"The fact is that the average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary, exactly like his love of sense, justice and truth. Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty - and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies."
    -- H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Lord Xar, what would be your purpose/reasoning for your purchase?
    Seeing as how you have not shared your objective, I cannot give you good advice at this time.

No enemies to the right

But thank you for the thread, to get people thinking about buying gold or silver! Which is a good thing, in my opinion.

No enemies to the right

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    But thank you for the thread, to get people thinking about buying gold or silver! Which is a good thing, in my opinion.
    I do it daily , because it is fun .

Quote Originally Posted by kfarnan View Post
    The gov. taxes large gold bars.
    Metals are taxed as "collectables" which has a 25% tax rate on profits vs as low as ten percent for long term capital gains. Your state may add sales tax on the purchase too.
    "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." - William Gibson

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Not all metals are taxed. Only certain weights and amounts are reported in 1099B. Just telling bold lies.
    Last edited by kfarnan; 03-17-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Silver, as its undervalued relative gold based on the GSR.

Metals are taxed as "collectables" which has a 25% tax rate on profits vs as low as ten percent for long term capital gains. Your state may add sales tax on the purchase too.
    You must love being taxed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast