Thread: Tasty meatless recipes

Tasty meatless recipes

Here are some easy and delicious protein-laden recipes for those who have religious diets or are looking to reduce consumption of animals. Feel free to add MSG to any of them.

Mexican rice style Quinoa

Ingredients:
    1 cup quinoa
    1 cup water
    1 6 oz. can tomato paste + can of water
    1 tbl. butter (or vegetable oil)
    1 tbl. chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. sugar (optional)
    Also optional: hing/garlic powder, crushed red pepper, cilantro, oregano

In a bowl, mix spices with tomato paste and the empty can's worth of water.

Put pan on medium heat and pour in quinoa. Dry roast until it starts to crackle. Can also fry it in the butter. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Add water, butter (if you haven't already), and tomato sauce. Stir until mixed. When it just barely starts to bubble, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 30 minutes.

Can also be used for stuffed bell peppers or bean and quinoa burritos. Replace quinoa with rice for Spanish rice.

Taco Seasoning:

1 tbl. chili powder
    1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1 1/2 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. pepper (or less)

Makes a similar amount as a store bought packet of seasoning. Can be mixed with black beans for black bean tacos.

Black Bean Soup

3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 jalapeno, minced (or 1/4 tsp cayenne)
    2 tbl. vegetable oil
    1 tsp. ground cumin (can add more, up to a tablespoon)
    1/3 cup water
    1 28 ounce can of tomatoes (undrained)
    2 16 ounce cans black beans (undrained)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Saute garlic and jalapeno (or cayenne) in oil for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add cumin, 1/3 cup water, and tomatoes. Break up tomatoes, cover, and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add black beans and their liquid. Continue to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

Puree 1/3 soup in blender or food processor and return to pot. If coup is too thick, add more water or tomato juice. Reheat gently. Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.

Bean Burritos

1 can refried beans (Read the label. Some of them have lard)
    2 tortillas
    optional: cheddar and pepper jack cheese, salsa

Warm tortilla in microwave or frying pan. Load with half can of refried beans, cheese, and salsa. Fold tortilla and flip folded part to the bottom. Heat another minute in microwave or fry with a small amount of oil in frying pan for about 5 minutes, turning once.

Chili Mac
    1 can vegetarian chili (trader joe's is nice. Hormel is easier to find)
    1 box mac and cheese
    optional: more cheese

Make noodles and sauce like the box says. Add chili to the sauce and heat. Add additional cheese and stir until melted. Add noodles.

Pizza

Easiest way: order it. Cheese has lots of protein. Add some veggies for variety. Pizza Hut is not vegetarian, though.

Easy homemade way: store bought crust, jar of pizza sauce, ~2 cups shredded cheese. (Pepper jack is a good substitute for mozzarella also). Put on some veggies for variety.

The long way:
    Crust:
    2 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat flour has more nutrients, including protein)
    1 cup warm water (hot from tap. Do not microwave or boil)
    1 packet dry yeast
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    2 tbl. olive oil
    optional: ground flax seed

Mix yeast, sugar, and water. Let sit a few minutes until it foams. Meanwhile, mix flour, salt and flax seed. Add foamy yeast water and olive oil, stir, then kneed into dough. Cover dough with additional olive oil and let rise for about 20 - 30 minutes.

Roll out to fit your pizza pan. Depending on the size, you might need more or less dough. Fits well on 15" pizza stone. Putting down a thin layer of cornmeal under your dough adds to the flavor and helps prevent sticking.

Sauce:
    1 6 oz. can tomato paste + 1 1/2 can of water
    1 tbl. olive oil
    1 tsp. salt (or less)
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 1/2 tsp. parsley
    1 clove garlic (minced)
    Optional: 1 tsp. sugar, 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. rosemary, 1 tsp. basil. Crushed red pepper, black pepper, more garlic if that's your thing.

Mix together and let sit for about an hour. This will likely make more sauce than you can use on a single pizza. Tastes better after being refrigerated overnight (at least in my opinion). Can also be used as spaghetti sauce (though I would recommend more oregano and less {if any} parsley for spaghetti. I usually use rosemary and basil for spaghetti) or lasagna sauce.

Bake assembled pizza in preheated 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Queso

~ 2 cups shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheeses
    1/2 tbl. butter
    1 tbl. corn starch
    1/2 to 1 cup of milk (depending on how thick you want your queso)
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder (depending how spicy you want your queso)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Optional: 1/4 cup diced tomatoes and green chilies.

In a small sauce pan, melt butter then add milk, corn starch, salt, chili powder, and tomatoes/green chilies. Turn heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until melted. Use to smother everything because cheese is tasty. Or I guess as a dip.

Black Bean Enchilada Casserole Thing... or some such

2 cans enchilada sauce (or one large can I guess)
    1 can black beans (drained)
    ~1 to 2 cups cheddar and pepper jack cheeses
    corn tortillas
    Optional: sliced black olives

Spray the bottom of a small casserole dish with cooking spray. Add a thin layer of enchilada sauce and cover with tortillas. Mix beans with ~ 1/2 cup sauce and spread over tortilla layer. Sprinkle on about 1/3 of the cheese and cover with more tortillas. Continue pattern as desired and top with remaining sauce, cheese, and black olives. Basically a Mexican lasagna, because rolling actual enchiladas is hard. Stupid brittle corn tortillas... >_>

Spinach Lasagna

1 package lasagna noodles
    1 clove garlic (minced)
    1 tsp. parsley
    red sauce (see pizza recipe above)
    ricotta cheese (not sure size of package. Never paid attention)
    1/2 frozen spinach (easiest if loose and not the frozen spinach bricks) OR some fresh spinach
    ~1 cup mozzarella cheese
    Optional: kale. More garlic if that's your thing

Make noodles according to package instructions. Mix ricotta, garlic, and parsley. Spray casserole dish with cooking spray, add sauce, put down a layer of noodles. Spread ricotta mixture over noodles and layer with more noodles. Spread another layer of sauce and add spinach (and/or kale). Layer with noodles again. Top with remaining sauce and cheese.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    *subscribes to thread* Thanks, Yieu! *hugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

My wife wrote the recipes.

Thanks for the quinoa recipe! I just found this stuff and LOVE it. I like the tricolor best but I buy them separately and mix them myself so I can have just one color if I want it.

Ingredients:
    1 cup quinoa
    1 cup water
    1 tbl. chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. sugar (optional)

Put pan on medium heat and pour in quinoa. Dry roast until it starts to crackle. Can also fry it in the butter. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Add water, butter (if you haven't already), and tomato sauce. Stir until mixed. When it just barely starts to bubble, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 30 minutes.

Can also be used for stuffed bell peppers or bean and quinoa burritos. Replace quinoa with rice for Spanish rice.

There's a lot of cussing in them but the Thug Kitchen cookbooks are great vegan cookbooks. I have a son who doesn't care for meat - he eat's fish/seafood and chicken maybe once a year. For the vegans, there's a decent cheese dip recipe made with Nut. Yeast and butternut squash in their cookbook. I'll pull it out and post it later. Even if you're not vegan and just sensitive to dairy (I can't have too much dairy - it constipates me ) it's an acceptable substitute for nachos.

Quinoa is one of the world’s most popular health foods.

Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids.

It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B-vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants.

Here are 11 health benefits of quinoa:

1. Very nutritious

Quinoa is a grain crop that is grown for its edible seeds. It is pronounced KEEN-wah.

It technically isn’t a cereal grain, but a pseudo-cereal (1).

In other words, it is basically a “seed” which is prepared and eaten similarly to a grain.

Quinoa was an important crop for the Inca Empire back in the day. They referred to it as the “mother of all grains” and believed it to be sacred.

It has been consumed for thousands of years in South America, although it only became trendy and reached “superfood status” a few years ago.

These days, you can find quinoa and products made with it all over the world, especially in health food stores and restaurants that emphasize natural foods.

There are three main types: white, red and black.

https://authoritynutrition.com/11-pr...its-of-quinoa/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Thank you, I do meatless often.

Tabouli

2 bunches parsley chopped
    1/2 bunch shredded spinach
    1 bunch chopped green onions
    1 cucumber chopped
    1 tomato chopped
    1 tbsp chopped mint

Mix together with 2 cups prepared and cooled bulgar wheat or any cous cous or quinoa.
    Add
    Lemon juice from 3 lemons
    1tbsp olive oil

Stir

I add spinach because I prefer something besides just parsley

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	5664
    Last edited by Carlybee; 03-10-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Thank you very much!!! I'm on a temporary vegan diet.

Not a recipe, but I just wanted to mention a tip I figured out last year. You can use a food processor to grind beans, nuts, and legumes to create natural protein powder and high protein additives for other recipes. For example, I like to sprinkle ground black bean powder into southwestern style omelettes or any other spicy food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Every recipe in that list would be improved with steak added.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I didn't have tomato paste so I improvised and it was really good. Instead of tomato paste I threw in a can of Rotel tomatoes and a rinsed can of black beans, then I served it in roasted red bell peppers. It was yummy. Kind of hard to mess up quinoa but I think it needed the tomato paste. Oh, I also sauteed up some onions and celery in olive oil and added that, too. I didn't use any butter, only a bit of OO.

The kids really liked it. They put some cheese in their stuffed peppers but I made mine plain - I love cheese but it doesn't love me.

Ingredients:
    1 cup quinoa
    1 cup water
    1 tbl. chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. sugar (optional)

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

For those who like Italian try cooking your onion/garlic in olive oil then add tomato paste and crank on the heat until it turns dark....

Add more tomatoes, delicate herbs etc... after you've lit up the paste.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    For those who like Italian try cooking your onion/garlic in olive oil then add tomato paste and crank on the heat until it turns dark....

That reminds me. My son will make meatless spaghetti and then fry it. He calls it fried spaghetti. It's actually pretty darn good.

Meatless half day here means donuts , pie and bourbon .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Meatless half day here means donuts , pie and bourbon .
    what? No coffee? how can you find the other things when you're not properly caffeinated?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

muh veggie pizzas:

pesto base sauce
    spinach
    artichoke hearts
    halved grape tomatoes or quartered cherry tomatoes
    feta
    mozzarella

sour cream base sauce (I think my dad mixed sour cream with salsa for the base sauce)
    black beans
    sliced baked potato
    broccoli
    cheddar cheese

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    what? No coffee? how can you find the other things when you're not properly caffeinated?
    Coffee every morning and afternoon
    Do something Danke

Curry Lentils with paneer

around 2 cups of red lentils (they hold their shape better than the other colors)
    onion.. uh.. maybe 2 sweet ones rough chopped
    celery.. 2-4 ribs diced
    garlic - to taste
    Indian red curry powder or paste (not the yellow stuff from SE Asia) I just dump it in til it looks right - going with maybe 2 tbs
    either, veggie broth/stock, veggie soup base or the whey left over from making the paneer- about a half gallon - I think that's what my soup pot holds
    .. paneer no clue how much I used.. lots, I like it
    grass fed ghee

sweat the onions, garlic and celery down in the ghee
    add the curry and let it absorb some of the liquid from sweating the veggies
    dump in the lentils and give it a stir.. gettem wet and warmed up
    then put in your liquid of choice
    bring to a slow boil then down to a simmer for an hour or so.. less if you're that hungry
    crumble the paneer in just before serving

lots of folks put cilantro in it.. I don't like cilantro so.. nope
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

I'll second this. It's good. Try it, you'll like it. Nyum nyum nyum...

I've posted these in the past, but i'll repost them here. Both were staples around here until I pretty much gave up pasta along with 70+lbs. But good recipes none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    An original from the wifey and one of our favorites around the house....
    "Rainbow Pepper Pasta"
    Ingredients:
    1. 1 Bulb Garlic (diced)
    2. 1 bag of whole wheat pasta (penne)
    3. 3 bell peppers (assorted colors) (chopped)
    4. 1 can of chichi beans (chickpeas) (strained and rinse well)
    5. 1 can of diced tomatoes (Strained, no extra water)
    6. 1 cup of diced parsley
    7. 1 white onion (diced)

Steps:
    1. sautee garlic on medium in olive oil (of course) and some red pepper flakes (optional add a few fennel seeds)
    2. when garlic becomes translucent, add in onion
    3. when onion i translucent, add in chichi beans
    4. sautee chichi bean mix for a few minutes
    5. Add can of tomatoes (salt and pepper to taste) (optional: cayanne and white pepper, fennel seed)
    6. Add pasta to boiling water
    7. Add bell peppers to the sautee mix
    8. When pasta is done cooking, stir it into sautee mix and remove from heat.
    9. Let it stand for a few minutes while stirring
    10. Mix in parsley once it has cooled a bit
    11. Mix in some romano or parmigiana cheese
    12. Serve.....
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Broccoli Rabe and beans pasta
    Ingredients:
    1. 1 Bulb Garlic (diced)
    2. 1 bag of whole wheat pasta (penne)
    3. 2 Heads of Broccoli Rabe aka:rapini (chopped)
    4. 1 can of cannelini beans or red kidney beans (strained and rinse well)
    5. white pepper or black pepper and red pepper flakes
    6. grated parmigiana or romano cheese.
    7. olive oil

Steps:
    1. sautee pan: sautee garlic on medium in olive oil (of course) and some red pepper flakes
    2. Boil pasta and strain, mix some butter in (optional) (keep seperate)
    3. sautee pan: when garlic becomes translucent, add broccoli rabe, add salt and white pepper to taste
    stir well, cook until you can push fork through a stem (don't overcook)
    4. Rinse beans, season with salt and pepper
    5. sautee pan: mix in rinsed/strained beans and stir in lightly.
    6. When beans are warmed up: mix in pasta.
    7. Top with parmigiana or romano cheese
    8. Serve.....

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

Ingredients:
    1 medium sized freshwater fish. Can add more if needed.
    1 onion
    2 liters water (don't use river water)
    1 large potato or 2 small ones
    1 carrot

green onion
    parsley
    dill
    bay leaf for taste
    salt and ground pepper

vodka and semechki to pass the time (optional but highly suggested)

psst... Hito.. Fish are animals.. this was the no critters in the food thread

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

Do embryos count as meat?

Honestly I don't concern myself with such matters but the OP might......

i have a friend who turned vegan just recently, he says he is feeling really good. he recommends that i try it too. here are some recipes that i've searched http://damndelicious.net/2014/12/02/...tless-recipes/

if you can paste a link.. you can paste an article

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.