Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Let's fully repeal ObamaCare, then have an open debate on how to replace it

  1. #1

    Default Let's fully repeal ObamaCare, then have an open debate on how to replace it

    Let's fully repeal ObamaCare, then have an open debate on how to replace it
    By Sen. Rand Paul, Rep. Mark Meadows - March 06, 2017

    Republicans across America ran on repealing the Big Government takeover of our health care system that is ObamaCare. Opposition to ObamaCare helped the GOP win the House in 2010, the Senate in 2014, and the White House in 2016. Repealing ObamaCare has been a key facet of all our recent victories.

    No Democrat will vote for a stand-alone, real repeal. But nearly every Republican will – in fact, nearly all of them already did in 2015.

    We call on Congressional leaders to keep their word to the American people, to push a real repeal of ObamaCare, and to do it now. The only way to really do that in a way that ensures passage is to move forward with a "clean" repeal, such as the 2015 repeal bill

    Many conservatives have called for Replace bills at the same time as a repeal bill. A free market replacement bill has been introduced in the Senate and a companion bill endorsed by the House Freedom Caucus. Others have their own plans and ideas. The White House will no doubt have some ideas as well.

    We should debate all of these replacement ideas on the same day we pass Repeal, but we will have to separate the debate into at least two different bills because there is no consensus with leadership on replacement. While the vast majority of Republicans have come out in favor of the principals of our replacement bill, some in leadership have offered starkly different ideas.

    Republican leadership wants to keep several variations of ObamaCare:

    1. Leadership wants to keep ObamaCare-like subsidies to buy insurance but rename them refundable tax credits (families will be given up to $14,000 dollars of other people's money)

    2. leadership wants to keep the ObamaCare Cadillac tax but rename it a tax on the top 10% of people who have the best insurance.

    3. Leadership wants to keep the individual mandate but instead of mandating a tax penalty to the government they mandate a penalty to the insurance company (can it possibly be Constitutional to mandate a penalty to a private insurance company?)

    4. Leadership wants to keep $100 billion of the insurance company subsidies from ObamaCare but call them "reinsurance". (Why? Because insurance companies love guaranteed issue as long as the taxpayer finances it!)

    Conservatives don't want new taxes, new entitlements and an “ObamaCare Lite” bill. If leadership insists on replacing ObamaCare with ObamaCare-lite, no repeal will pass.

    Nobody wants ObamaCare repealed more than we do. We think the only way to repeal ObamaCare is to separate repeal from replace.

    ObamaCare provisions dressed up in shiny new GOP-branded clothes would mean the loss of too many conservative votes for passage.

    But we can do the work we were sent to do. We can repeal now using the 2015 bill that United all republicans.

    We can immediately turn to the replace bills, with a fair, open process much like our budget. Let everyone with a plan or an amendment come forward and speak. Let’s debate, vote and put forward a transparent, fair process so that everyone on both sides of the aisle and all sides of the debate is heard.

    We own repeal. We ran on it. It is our idea. We have to pass it cleanly, now.

    Then we owe the American people a real-old fashioned period of allowing all ideas to be debated and voted on to produce the best product possible.

    We've got ours ready. We’ve already sponsored the replacement. We’ll advocate for – a free market plan that would lower cost and increase access for millions of Americans. The repeal we support has a timeframe to allow the market to work and ensure Americans don't lose coverage. We would love to debate it and hear my colleagues’ amendments.

    Just as soon as we pass the real, clean repeal that we promised we would.

    We will introduce that this week too. If anyone tells you there isn’t a plan that can both keep our promises to repeal, and work in a bipartisan, open way for replace, tell them conservatives have a plan to do just that. Now let’s hope our leadership will listen, because it is the only way they’re going to get our votes.

    Republican Rand Paul represents Kentucky in the United States Senate.

    Republican Mark Meadows represents North Carolina in the U.S. House of Representatives and serves on the Foreign Affairs Committee.
    ...
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...eplace-it.html
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2

    Default


    https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/839178740156465154
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  4. #3

    Default


    https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/839184682130501633
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  5. #4

    Default

    No Democrat will vote for a stand-alone, real repeal. But nearly every Republican will – in fact, nearly all of them already did in 2015.
    Yeah, but that was when they knew it would get vetoed. They didn't actually want that. Trump doesn't want it either. Nor does he want to be in the position of vetoing one of his major campaign promises.

  6. #5

    Default

    The Bill should have been written...

    "A Bill, to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and all of it's provisions."

    And ended at that.

  7. #6

    Default

    Let's fully repeal ObamaCare, then have an open debate on how to replace it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Let's fully repeal ObamaCare, then have an open debate on how to replace it
    Pleasssssseeee!!!!
    There is no spoon.

  9. #8

    Default


    https://twitter.com/justinamash/stat...21243681378304
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  10. #9

    Default

    Can we do a partial repeal instead,

    And only repeal the 3-4 paragraphs we dont like?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  11. #10

    Default


  12. #11

    Default

    If this bill is as bad as Rand and Justin are saying it is, and if it doesn't represent any improvement at all over the current bill, then it shouldn't be passed. However, people should realize that the alternative will be keeping all of Obamacare in its current form, because more moderate to liberal Republicans in Congress are opposed to full repeal. When they voted to repeal it in the past, they were just grandstanding because they knew that Obama would just veto the repeal bill anyway. Now that repealing Obamacare actually means something, they're against it. They were never in favor of full repeal.

  13. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    If this bill is as bad as Rand and Justin are saying it is, and if it doesn't represent any improvement at all over the current bill, then it shouldn't be passed. However, people should realize that the alternative will be keeping all of Obamacare in its current form, because more moderate to liberal Republicans in Congress are opposed to full repeal. When they voted to repeal it in the past, they were just grandstanding because they knew that Obama would just veto the repeal bill anyway. Now that repealing Obamacare actually means something, they're against it. They were never in favor of full repeal.
    Apparently in both the house and senate, there are enough conservatives to kill this weak bill, just as there are enough moderates to kill a full repeal.

    Therefore, compromise must be achieved between conservatives and moderates, or status quo, as you say, remains status quo, and everybody loses.

    This is the leverage Rand is working to exploit, and I predict if he and the other conservatives hang tough, we'll actually see some good come of this.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.

  14. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    Apparently in both the house and senate, there are enough conservatives to kill this weak bill, just as there are enough moderates to kill a full repeal.

    Therefore, compromise must be achieved between conservatives and moderates, or status quo, as you say, remains status quo, and everybody loses.

    This is the leverage Rand is working to exploit, and I predict if he and the other conservatives hang tough, we'll actually see some good come of this.
    I hope so, but there are some Republicans in the Senate who believe that even Paul Ryan's bill is too conservative. So at the moment the situation doesn't look good.

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...id-protections

  15. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    Apparently in both the house and senate, there are enough conservatives to kill this weak bill, just as there are enough moderates to kill a full repeal.

    Therefore, compromise must be achieved between conservatives and moderates, or status quo, as you say, remains status quo, and everybody loses.

    This is the leverage Rand is working to exploit, and I predict if he and the other conservatives hang tough, we'll actually see some good come of this.
    Or just get everyone on board with a single-payer free healthcare plan.

    That's something almost everyone can agree to
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  16. #15

    Default

    wait.. didn't he just have a plan to keep government involved in healthcare?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

    The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

  17. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Or just get everyone on board with a single-payer free healthcare plan.

    That's something almost everyone can agree to
    Especially the President

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Trump
    I’m a conservative on most issues but a liberal on health. It is an unacceptable but accurate fact that the number of uninsured Americans has risen to 42 million. Working out detailed plans will take time. But the goal should be clear: Our people are our greatest asset. We must take care of our own. We must have universal healthcare.

  18. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    I hope so, but there are some Republicans in the Senate who believe that even Paul Ryan's bill is too conservative. So at the moment the situation doesn't look good.

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...id-protections
    The usual RINOs.
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  19. #18

    Default



    Serious or sarcastic?

  20. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post


    Serious or sarcastic?
    He's totally cereal
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  21. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Yeah, but that was when they knew it would get vetoed. They didn't actually want that. Trump doesn't want it either. Nor does he want to be in the position of vetoing one of his major campaign promises.

    I think Rand is going to make the Republicans that are not in full support of repeal to out themselves on a public voting record. They are recorded voting to repeal it when Obama was guaranteed to veto it but now that it could actually pass they are turncoats. How are they going to explain why in 2015 things were so different that they voted yes to repeal but now they wont? Their constituents are going to eat them alive.

    Rand Paul, Jim Jordan To Introduce Separate Obamacare Repeal Bill

    Conservative Sen. Rand Paul and House Freedom Caucus member Rep. Jim Jordan announced Tuesday they plan to reintroduce legislation repealing Obamacare that overwhelmingly passed Congress along party lines in 2015.

    House leadership backed the American Health Care Act, which critics have dubbed “Obamacare lite.” Multiple provisions have been criticized, namely its language on refundable tax credits.

    “Our goal is real simple: Bring down the cost of insurance for working families and middle-class families across this country. In an effort to do that we think you have to get rid of Obamacare completely. So tomorrow I will introduce a bill that every single Republican voted on just 15 months ago – the bill that actually repeals Obamacare,” Jordan said at a press conference. “Our plan has always been repeal in one piece of legislation and replace in the other. And that replacement we talked about a few weeks ago is the bill sponsored by Dr. Paul in the Senate and Mark Sanford in the House.”

    According to Jordan, there was a strong consensus in the party around the 2015 reconciliation bill, as it eliminated all of the Obamacare taxes and the mandates.



    Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/07/ra...#ixzz4ahW3YCYn
    In 2015 all House Republicans voted to Repeal Obamacare except 3. All Democrats voted no. Same bill as Rand is going to try to put forward for a vote.

    http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2015/...crats-vote-no/

    The Senate had 52 Republicans vote yes to repeal and only 1 no in 2015.

    http://dailysignal.com/2015/12/04/fi...re-provisions/
    Last edited by seapilot; 03-07-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

  22. #21

    Default

    Dumb question;

    The mandate is supposed to now be not a tax, but a requirement to purchase insurance or face a penalty that is paid to the insurance company..

    Wouldn't it then under a plain reading of Sebellius, be unconstitutional because in that opinion the power to regulate was only found by Roberts by labeling it a tax. This couldn't be a tax. And so, they are requiring the purchasing of a product or the payment of extra to a business. Where is the power for that? Not commerce clause....?

    So might be we be all back at the Supreme court if and when we are stuck with a squish compromise?

  23. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Or just get everyone on board with a single-payer free healthcare plan.

    That's something almost everyone can agree to
    I like free!
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

    "For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

  24. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

    https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/839178740156465154
    Repeal: On board.

    Discussion of replacement: Depends on what you mean. Why do we need to replace it with anything? The assumption that we must seems so deeply tacit as to escape the conscious awareness of a vast plurality.

    I see no reason to replace it with anything other than free markets. I am tempted to advocate "tort reform", but not sure how that would work out. It seems the best solution is no solution. Let people work out their deals.

    "The fact is that the average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary, exactly like his love of sense, justice and truth. Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty - and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies."
    -- H.L. Mencken






Similar Threads

  1. GOP releases bills to repeal and replace ObamaCare
    By randomname in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-08-2017, 01:45 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-04-2017, 07:50 AM
  3. Rand Paul: Repeal all of Obamacare and replace immediately
    By Origanalist in forum Rand Paul Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2017, 02:24 AM
  4. Mitt Romney Mitt Romney's repeal and replace of Obamacare???
    By whippoorwill in forum 2012 Presidential Election
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 11:03 AM
  5. ObamaCare: Repeal, Replace or What?
    By tangent4ronpaul in forum Obamacare
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 01:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •