Thread: A battle on the home front

A battle on the home front

The Oct./Nov. 2013 issue of Mother Earth News had an article by K.C. Compton about the small "garden-friendly" city of Ava, Missouri which is where I live. Well it's not so garden-friendly anymore; the new mayor -- who seems to think he's the king -- is prosecuting people whose garden projects he doesn't like.

My permaculture planting of bamboo is a target of his right now. He calls it "weeds" and is threatening to come on my land and destroy it. The city inspector and code enforcer pre-approved it before I planted in 2010. Everyone who's seen it tells me it's very beautiful. I've invested hundreds of hours into maintaining it and making sure it doesn't spread where it's not wanted.

My little grove is home to many nesting pairs of songbirds. Ava is by law designated as a wild bird sanctuary, but the mayor doesn't care about that either. Every year I harvest bamboo shoots for food. They are so much more delicious than canned shoots! And I harvest the canes for a variety of uses.

Within the next couple of weeks my grove could become history unless I find some help to continue my battle here. I am sick at heart at the idea of it being demolished. You can help by phoning 417-683-5516 and voicing support on my behalf.

Attachment 5663

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who is that number for? (just want to know who I'm voicing support to.)

Kudos to you! Maintaining bamboo is tireless work. Damn busybodies...
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Who is that number for? (just want to know who I'm voicing support to.)

Kudos to you! Maintaining bamboo is tireless work. Damn busybodies...
    It's the main city hall number. Ask for Mayor Norman or leave him a message. The bamboo grower is me, Patricia Davis.

Thank you.

I called, but I'm not sure whether it did much good. My caller ID gives away the fact that I'm not a local.

Have you reached out to the person who wrote the article you referenced?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I called, but I'm not sure whether it did much good. My caller ID gives away the fact that I'm not a local.

Have you reached out to the person who wrote the article you referenced?
    She no longer works at TMEN but I did send their current editors a message.

Thanks very much for your input. Did you speak directly with Mayor Norman, or with someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    She no longer works at TMEN but I did send their current editors a message.

Thanks very much for your input. Did you speak directly with Mayor Norman, or with someone else?
    Left a voicemail.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Left a voicemail.
    Maybe they don't have caller ID. City is on a tight budget.

I never lived in a place where a mayor can work autonomously outside of a city council. Seems they should be the ones to talk to. If the mayor can work independently outside city council then...again...you need to talk to the city council.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I never lived in a place where a mayor can work autonomously outside of a city council. Seems they should be the ones to talk to. If the mayor can work independently outside city council then...again...you need to talk to the city council.
    What i've been told is that the city council people are afraid of crossing him. He fired several city employees and took on their work himself, allegedly to save the city some money for their salaries. So he has accumulated a lot of power into his position, including the roles of code enforcer, flood plain administrator and planning/zoning director. So we save a few $$ paying salaries, but down the line might the city get into trouble when problems arise due to a job done by an unqualified person? It wouldn't be the first time such things have occurred. Rumors I've been hearing, such as back-room deals, people being forced to resign for trying to follow the laws as written, and more, seem to indicate that even if city council knew all of the facts they would be afraid to admit the truth openly.

is there a local news outlet that might do a story on you and your bamboo?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    What i've been told is that the city council people are afraid of crossing him. He fired several city employees and took on their work himself, allegedly to save the city some money for their salaries. So he has accumulated a lot of power into his position, including the roles of code enforcer, flood plain administrator and planning/zoning director. So we save a few $$ paying salaries, but down the line might the city get into trouble when problems arise due to a job done by an unqualified person? It wouldn't be the first time such things have occurred. Rumors I've been hearing, such as back-room deals, people being forced to resign for trying to follow the laws as written, and more, seem to indicate that even if city council knew all of the facts they would be afraid to admit the truth openly.
    Then you need to expose the situation. Go door to door and get yourself elected to city council and force the mayor to comply. Either that, sit on the front porch with a shotgun or lose your holdings. Calling the mayor ain't gonna help. Seems to be on a power trip. Either organize, go it alone or capitulate. I know of no other options. Best of luck in whichever avenue you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Then you need to expose the situation. Go door to door and get yourself elected to city council and force the mayor to comply. Either that, sit on the front porch with a shotgun or lose your holdings. Calling the mayor ain't gonna help. Seems to be on a power trip. Either organize, go it alone or capitulate. I know of no other options. Best of luck in whichever avenue you choose.
    You can't get elected to anything hereabouts unless you've lived here all your life and everyone knows you. I've only been in this area for 18 years, and I've kept to myself for the most part. Besides, it's too late to sign up to run for anything this time around.

Phone calls WILL help, or I wouldn't have asked. My only other option is to file for an injunction, but before I go that route I want to try gentle persuasion.

Well I did end up having to file for an injunction. Also filed a Petition for Judicial Review following a kangaroo-court-style "hearing" on March 30 at which time I was given five days to remove the bamboo or else face having the city do it and being fined for that expense.

AND I WON THE CASE! "Costs are taxed to Respondent" is the last line in the judge's final ruling, which was issued on June 23. I am still trying to collect that money.

Meanwhile the city has passed new vegetation laws in an apparent effort to apply ex post facto law. Things could get more interesting since apparently I will have to sue the city for robbing me of the value that the grove adds to my property, because now, when I sell the place, the bamboo will be a liability to the new owner instead of an asset.

Patricia,

You gave your town name and story, so I took the liberty of looking up the story. I saw the picture of it. I think your neighbor actually gave you a good hint when she said your bamboo provides a nice shelter.

You might not want to do public relations and should not have to do it , but have you tried it? I assume your bamboo is clumping (not running) and that's why you got the approval in 2010. Is that right?

I've spent some time in the Philippines and am quite familiar with bamboo. My wife recently bought some home-grown jarred bamboo. We have about 12 jars under our kitchen island counter.

What I'm getting at is your bamboo has a lot of selling points that don't seem to be sold. You and I are familiar with bamboo (you much more than me), but most people have no idea about it. I hate to say this, but people driving up looking at your complaining neighbor's house for sale probably get the wrong idea even before they park their car in your neighbor's driveway. Most will automatically think weeds.

What do you think would happen if you put some information in front of the garden? What about a sign that actually reads, "Bamboo Garden!" There are bamboo themed restaurants everywhere that capitalize on the bamboo theme. People love them. People also love gardens, but many of the botanical gardens my wife and I visit have signs and information explaining them. You could have a well crafted signs that touts the benefits. An example is the shade mentioned by your neighbor.

I don't know what you think of your neighbor, but I listened to her and she seems a little ignorant. Maybe the whole town leans that way, but there should be some people who get it.

I don't even think it would cost that much. If you have other foliage in your yard, but what about a bamboo themed yard? I really think it just needs some sprucing up and selling it.

Again, you shouldn't have to do this, but maybe the money cost would offset the effort and time you take to fight them. The other part is that you would be educating people. This is so arbitrary that it should not take much to sell this. I observe so many things in history that were once pariahs and are now the in-thing. It's sort of sorry to say that people's fundamentals are so petty and fickle, but that's the way it is. Sometimes you can outsmart them.

I am going to paste some random images I found on the internet. If you like my idea, then I hope you somehow find them useful. If not, maybe they'll spur some other ideas.

By the way, someone mentioned about phone numbers not being local. I don't know how much that will matter because there are many new area codes and people with cell phones move. The other option is emailing the mayor. I saw the video of the mayor. Seems a bit of prick. F*ck him. He does not know the definition of rights.

Here are some signs and gardens:

You mentioned songbirds are attracted. Just replace the word butterfly with songbird:

Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 09-01-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Some signs to educate:

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More education:

15 creative uses of bamboo

1. Bamboo is used for building roads.

Bamboo is being used in road reinforcements in Orissa, India. Bamboo bridges have also been built in China, capable of supporting trucks that weigh as much as 16 tons.

2. Bamboo is used for medicinal purposes.

In China, ingredients from the black bamboo shoot help treat kidney diseases. Roots and leaves have also been used to treat venereal diseases and cancer. According to reports in a small village in Indonesia, water from the culm (the side branches) is used to treat diseases of the bone effectively.

3. Bamboo is used to promote fertility in cows.

I must admit, I was pretty shocked to read about this one. Perhaps it has human applications, too?
    4. Bamboo is used to build houses and schools.

Just check out the Green School in Bali.

According to UNESCO, 70 hectares of bamboo produce enough of the material to build 1000 bamboo houses. If timber was used instead, it would require the felling of trees from an already diminishing forest. Today, over one billion people in the world live in bamboo houses.

5. Bamboo is used to make clothes.

Bamboo– it’s the new hemp. T-shirts, socks, robes, boxers… your wardrobe can become entirely organic and sustainable.

6. Bamboo is used to make accessories.

Why stop with the clothes? Bamboo is also used to make necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and other types of jewelry.

7. Bamboo is used to feed people and animals.

Bamboo shoots are used mainly in Asian food preparations. In Japan, the antioxidant properties of the bamboo skin prevent bacterial growth, and are used as natural food preservatives. Bamboo leaves and shoots are also the staple diet of pandas and elephants.

8. Bamboo is used for scaffolding.

Bamboo is often used for scaffolding because it proves to be an eco-friendly and cost-effective resource. In Hong Kong, bamboo scaffolding is preferred over metal scaffolding because of its easy availability and because it is cheaper.

9. Bamboo is used to make furniture.

Beautiful and intricately crafted beds, chairs and tables are made from bamboo.

10. Bamboo is used to make rugs.

Exotic woods like the mango are often used in Oriental rugs. Buying a bamboo rug will ensure that you save a tree.

11. Bamboo is used to make diapers.

For those of you who think that going green should start from infancy, wearing diapers made from bamboo cloth is an option. According to Japanese scientists, bamboo cloth can retain its antibacterial quality even after 50 washings.

12. Bamboo is used to make toys.

Growing up, I only had bamboo toys. My parents did not encourage me to play with plastic dolls- and gifts made from plastic were all put away. It was a clear signal from my environmentally conscious parents.

13. Bamboo is used to make durable utensils.

Cups and saucers, spoons and ladles can all be made from bamboo.

14. Bamboo is used to make beer!

If you haven’t tried it yet, I can vouch for the fact that bamboo beer tastes absolutely fabulous. Do go try it.

15. Bamboo is used to make musical instruments.

Flutes, drums, digeridoos, even saxophones– bamboo is versatile when it comes to making instruments.

https://matadornetwork.com/change/15...ses-of-bamboo/

And finally (!)--when all else fails, appeal to peoples' stomachs. Let them try your shoots.

Bamboo shoots stir fry:

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    You gave your name, so I took the liberty of looking up the story. I saw the picture of it. I think your neighbor actually gave you a good hint when she said your bamboo provides a nice shelter.
    You must have seen something that I have not seen.

You might not want to do public relations and should not have to do it , but have you tried it? I assume your bamboo is clumping (not running) and that's why you got the approval in 2010. Is that right?
    No. It's a running variety, very aggressive and hard to control. But I've done it.

As to PR, it's really not needed; literally everyone loves the grove, except my neighbor. I've had (and fulfilled) MANY requests for starts. People stop in front of the house and admire the grove. Sometimes they come to my door and tell me how much they love it, how they drive out of their way just to see it, and how much they can't stand the mayor and think he's dead wrong.

What I'm getting at is your bamboo has a lot of selling points that don't seem to be sold. You and I are familiar with bamboo (you much more than me), but most people have no idea about it. I hate to say this, but people driving up looking at your complaining neighbor's house for sale probably get the wrong idea even before they park their car in your neighbor's driveway. Most will automatically think weeds.
    Not true. Fact is, no one has actually complained to the neighbor about the bamboo. That is just the excuse she gives for her failure to sell her house. It's appraised for about half of the price she's asking for it.

Besides that, it's NOT possible to look at my grove and "think weeds". The bamboo is 15-20 feet tall. No weed grows half that high.

I don't know what you think of your neighbor, but I listened to her and she seems a little ignorant. Maybe the whole town leans that way, but there should be some people who get it.
    That lady is a vicious liar -- and more than a little bit ignorant.

I saw the video of the mayor. Seems a bit of prick. F*ck him. He does not know the definition of rights.
    You would not believe the stories I've been hearing about him since I won the case. People coming out of the woodwork with horror stories about what he's tried to do to them.

Thanks for all the nice pics and ideas. I'm going to try to send you a PM with some info you might find interesting.

Patricia,

Ah okay; gotchya. I was just basing my reply on the news story where you said people don't really understand it and they don't understand something new. But yeah, it's often one petty neighbor that ruins it for everyone. She can't sell her house, so she found a scapegoat.

The story I saw was the local news piece. They interviewed the neighbor and she used the word "rubbish." If that is all she's got, then I would guess that's why you got the injunction?

Sure, send me a PM. I'll won't be around for Labor Day, so will reply next week.

I remember my family having trouble building a simple fence for the dog. They had to get a "variance" from the town. Cost was $75. They "approve" these variances for everybody, so it's not much of a variance at all. Money maker.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 09-01-2017 at 10:34 PM.