Thread: Trump: 'Nobody knew that healthcare could be so complicated'

Trump: 'Nobody knew that healthcare could be so complicated'

http://www.latimes.com/politics/wash...htmlstory.html

Nobody knew? Ask those who deal with it- either as patients, administrators, doctors, insurers. Welcome to the real world! I guess it may take more than just an executive order to deal with it.

President Trump promised the nation's governors Monday that his yet-to-be-revealed replacement plan for the Affordable Care Act would give states greater flexibility and thanked some Republicans in the room who advised him on healthcare.

"It's an unbelievably complex subject," he said. "Nobody knew that healthcare could be so complicated."

The remark likely surprised state leaders; spending on Medicaid alone was the second-biggest driver of increased state general fund spending, according to the 2016 Fiscal Survey of States conducted by the National Assn. of State Budget Officers.

And it was just eight years ago that Washington dove head-first into a raging debate over healthcare reform under President Obama, which simmered long after his signature health law was enacted.

But the finer points of healthcare policy are likely new to Trump, who is immersed in discussions with Republican leaders and his senior staff on that and other subjects ahead of his high-profile address Tuesday to a joint session of Congress.

Trump offered no hint as to the details. Republicans have vowed to repeal and replace Obamacare, but their effort has stalled as they debate how to do so and await word from the White House on what Trump wants to do.

The president seemed keenly aware of the political ramifications of whatever steps he takes.

"As soon as we touch it, if we do the most minute thing, just a tiny little change, what's going to happen? They're going to say it's the Republicans' problem,"
    Trump said after telling the governors the easiest thing for him to do would be nothing, and, in his view, watch Obamacare collapse.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Crony corporatist oligopolies depend upon massive complexity to disguise their scams.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Sort of looks like nothing should have been done in the first place.

That's because they had to pass it so they could see what was in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Crony corporatist oligopolies depend upon massive complexity to disguise their scams.
    Yup. That's exactly the problem. Decades of it.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Does he actually have a plan?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.50c567793e02

A divided White House still offers little guidance on replacing Obamacare

<snip>

While leaving most of the detail work to lawmakers, top White House aides are divided on how dramatic an overhaul effort the party should pursue. And the biggest wild card remains the president himself, who has devoted only a modest amount of time to the grinding task of mastering health-care policy but has repeatedly suggested that his sweeping new plan is nearly complete.

This conundrum will be on full display Monday, when Trump meets at the White House with some of the nation’s largest health insurers. The session, which will include top executives from Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Cigna and Humana, is not expected to produce a major policy announcement. But it will provide an opportunity for one more important constituency to lobby the nation’s leader on an issue he has said is at the top of his agenda.

Democrats and their allies are already mobilizing supporters to hammer lawmakers about the possible impact of rolling back the ACA, holding more than 100 rallies across the country Saturday. And a new analysis for the National Governors Association that modeled the effect of imposing a cap on Medicaid spending — a key component of House Republicans’ strategy — provided Democrats with fresh ammunition because of its finding that the number of insured Americans could fall significantly.

Trump, for his part, continues to express confidence about his administration’s ostensible plan. He suggested Wednesday that it would be out within a few weeks.

“So we’re doing the health care — again, moving along very well — sometime during the month of March, maybe mid- to early March, we’ll be submitting something that I think people will be very impressed by,” he told reporters during a budget meeting in the Roosevelt Room.

Yet some lawmakers, state leaders and policy experts who have discussed the matter with either Trump or his top aides say the administration is largely delegating the development of an ACA substitute to Capitol Hill. The president, who attended part of a lengthy health-care policy session his aides held at Mar-a-Lago a week ago, appears more interested in brokering specific questions, such as how to negotiate drug prices, than in steering the plan’s drafting.

“The legislative branch, the House first and foremost, is providing the policy,” said Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), who noted that the White House lacks “a big policy shop” and that Price and some key principals just recently got in place. Seema Verma, whom Trump has nominated to head the Centers for Medicare and Medi*caid Services, should play a key role in any reform effort if she is confirmed.
    Where Trump will end up remains unclear, although in both public and private settings he has tended to stress the importance of providing health coverage “for everybody” while lowering its cost. However, Price testified during his recent confirmation hearings that the administration would seek to give Americans access to, not guaranteed, coverage.

The policy proposal Trump has embraced most forcefully, albeit not always consistently, is to pressure pharmaceutical firms to lower their prices by negotiating government drug purchases through Medicare. The idea has considerable support among Democrats and from some Republicans but is currently prohibited under law.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-27-2017 at 12:56 PM.

This is just from 2013.

11,588,500 Words: Obamacare Regs 30x as Long as Law

By Penny Starr | October 14, 2013 | 4:02 PM EDT

Obamacare regulations printed out. (AP)

(CNSNews.com) -- Bureaucracies in the Obama Administration have thus far published approximately 11,588,500 words of final Obamacare regulations, while there are only 381,517 words in the Obamacare law itself.

That means unelected federal officials have now written 30 words of regulations for each word in the law.

What is commonly known as the Obamacare law includes both the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act (HCERA). Since these bills were signed into law by President Barack Obama in March 2010, various agencies in the administration have published 109 final regulations spelling out how they are to be implemented.

These 109 final regulations account for a combined 10,535 pages in the Federal Register, where the government officially published them.

The Federal Register presents the regulations in relatively small type with three columns of text on each page. CNSNews.com calculated that there is an average of 1,100 words on each of these pages by counting the actual words in one 78-page Obamacare regulation and then dividing by 78.

At an average of 1,100 words per page, the 10,535 pages of Obamacare regulations consist of approximately 11,588,500 words.

By contrast, as officially published by the Government Printing Office, PPACA is 906 pages long and HCERA is 55 pages long. These pages include an average of only 397 words. That means PPACA and HCERA's combined 961 pages consist of approximately 381,517 words.

For each word actually in the Obamacare law that Congress enacted, the Obama administration has written 30 more words in regulations indicating how it will be enforced.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...s-30x-long-law

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    by a Republican, Nixon, in 1972.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=3757 (I recommend reading this gem of a document in full, but the federal institution of HMO's may be its nastiest piece of American impoverishment.)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
    Beyond filling gaps in insurance coverage, we must also turn our attention to how the money thus provided will be spent---on what kind of services and in what kind of institutions. This is why the Health Maintenance Organization concept is such a central feature of my National Health Strategy.

The HMO is a method for financing and providing health care that has won growing respect. It brings together into a single organization the physician, the hospital, the laboratory and the clinic, so that patients can get the right care at the right moment.

HMO's utilize a method of payment that encourages the prevention of illness and promotes the efficient use of doctors and hospitals. Unlike traditional fee-for-service billing, the HMO contracts to provide its comprehensive care for a fixed annual sum that is determined in advance.

Under this financial arrangement, the doctors' and hospitals' incomes are determined not by how much the patient is sick, but by how much he is well. HMO's thus have the strongest possible incentive for keeping well members from becoming ill and for curing sick members as quickly as possible.

I do not believe that HMO's should or will entirely replace fee-for-service financing. But I do believe that they ought to be everywhere available so that families will have a choice between these methods. The HMO is no mere drawing-board concept--more than 7 million Americans are now HMO subscribers and that number is growing.

Several pieces of major legislation now before the Congress would give powerful stimulus to the development of HMO's:

1. The Health Maintenance Organization Assistance Act would provide technical and financial aid to help new HMO's get started, and would spell out standards of operation;

2. The National Health Insurance Partnership Act described above requires that individuals be given a choice between fee-for-service or HMO payment plans;

3. H.R. I contains one provision allowing HMO-type reimbursement for Medicare patients and another that would increase the Federal share of payments made to HMO's under State Medicaid programs.

I urge that the Congress give early consideration to these three measures, in order to hasten the development of this efficient method for low-cost, one-stop health service. Meantime, the Administration has moved forward in this area on its own under existing legislative authorities.
    People don't give this guy enough credit for what he did for America.
    Last edited by undergroundrr; 02-27-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    It is because healthcare is so complicated that all of the politicians should stay out of a business they know nothing about.

I am thankful that Trump and the GOP will not force me to pay fines for not purchasing a product.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/politics/wash...htmlstory.html

Nobody knew? Ask those who deal with it- either as patients, administrators, doctors, insurers. Welcome to the real world! I guess it may take more than just an executive order to deal with it.
    I agree , no person involved in the health bill had any knowledge helpful to a patient . None .
    Do something Danke

2016 Democratic Party Platform (DRAFT)

Universal Health Care
    We believe as Democrats that health care is a right, not a privilege, and our health care system should put people before profits.

http://www.pnhp.org/news/2016/august...on-health-care

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Most certainly nothing by the Fed Govt.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
    Dems are fundamentally wrong 100 percent of the time . That is consistency .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=3757 (I recommend reading this gem of a document in full, but the federal institution of HMO's may be its nastiest piece of American impoverishment.)

Isn't this where Ron Paul said the problems started? The HMO act. There has definitely become a major problem with the supply and demand mechanism. As someone that has been involve in medevac I can say for a fact it shouldn't cost 30 to 40 grand to get a life flight.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Does he actually have a plan?

[url
    Shut up.

His plan should be to repeal it, not replace it. Freaking government just makes everything necessarily complicated and expensive.

Then the liberal asshats who screwed it up are now smugly asking for something better? When what we had was better?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post

The HMO model only sucks because the government dictates coverages. From an economic standpoint, it could have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Shut up.

His plan should be to repeal it, not replace it. Freaking government just makes everything necessarily complicated and expensive.

Then the liberal asshats who screwed it up are now smugly asking for something better? When what we had was better?
    His words. Don't blame me. He backed off repeal and not replace it. He is just not sure what he will replace it with yet.

His words. Don't blame me. He backed off repeal and not replace it. He is just not sure what he will replace it with yet.
    The President's job is to sign legislation, not write it.