Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Invite a Libertarian to be My Neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    That's still WAY too much for my tastes. I paid $2K on my home in Freehold NJ back when I was yanking down $400K-$500K/annum and even that chapped my ass.
    And how much was the good old state of NJ pulling from your income?

I reckon that taxes in Freehold, in the type of home I am imagining you had, are probably $1000 a month now.

Overall, it works for me, and when I retire and the kids are gone, I'll sell it all, buy a camp way the hell up north and be done with it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I reckon that taxes in Freehold, in the type of home I am imagining you had, are probably $1000 a month now.

Overall, it works for me, and when I retire and the kids are gone, I'll sell it all, buy a camp way the hell up north and be done with it.
    I can only guess what NJ , NY & MASS taxes are now but my guess is very high . I have a retired buddy in Mass and he lives in a pd for , nice old family home and it takes his entire pension to pay his property tax .
    Do something Danke

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So if any of you are looking for very cheap houses and are not afraid to assume the risk of another 1000-year flood in your lifetime, Elkview WV might be the ticket.
    But What about the internet connection there?

I would be much more into the idea of WV, as it's still fairly close to kin.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Just short of zero. In one ten-year period I pulled down about $3MM and paid a grand total of $1500.00. The virtues of having a whoop-ass accountant.

Of course, $#@!ing the taxman meant I could save nothing and am now in the dumper. I just could not reconcile myself to paying taxes to these bastards who subsidize the parasites of all stripe. Steve (accountant) kept me in the middle of legality the whole time, so I could tell Themme to $#@! off without fear. I just kept my head down, worked like a mad bastard, billed like crazy, and spent it all just to deny Themme the least bit of my labors. I worked strictly C2C through my engineering consulting corporation.

It all seems an age ago and so far away, as if it never happened and I am just imagining it all. I do sometimes wonder.

I bought the house, situated in Monmouth Battlefield State Park, in '87 for $177K; rather high in those days. It sold recently for $660K, which is simply outrageous. If you look at an image of the art-deco spire of the '39 World's Fair, you are looking at the structural timber from which my house had been erected in the '40s. The previous owner had worked construction and demolition of the site in those days. He was of meager income and so took all the scrap timber and build the house, which is rather stout, but not fancy. The best feature was the 625 ft.^2 kitchen, in which I spent most of my time when home, which was not often.

Hey, if you can manage it, by all means enjoy it while you can.

We are between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Perhaps I will be able to find a way out, perhaps not. I still cannot reconcile the tax thing, though.

Speaking of criminal taxation - back in the late 70s I was acquainted with someone in Jackson Twp. He had a split-level house on about an acre. Nice, but nothing to write home about. Because Jackson had no "ratables", he was stiffed for $34 THOUSAND dollars per year in taxes. I'd have insured it up the wazoo, burned it, collected, dumped 2000 gallons of transformer oil, and walked away just to screw the local gov. for such evil as this. They should be burned with gasoline until they are naught more than ash, these filthy robbers.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    But What about the internet connection there?

I would be much more into the idea of WV, as it's still fairly close to kin.
    We are fibered up to the drops, AFAIK. Copper to the house.

Hell, the other house even has 3PH access.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

My SIL in Amherst, NY showed me her property tax bill. OUTRAGEOUS! Her home is on barely 1/2 an acre and a basic 3 bedroom 1 bath, 1950's split level - nothing to write home about. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere between 10 and 15 grand a year. In my county, the taxes on that house would be about 600.00 per year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

$6K+/annum property tax.

NFW.
    I'm reasonably sure that is why the property is listed so cheap. If the house sells for $109,000, the tax bill may be possible to cut to $4k if not $3k after the sale. The tax bill is almost definitely based on a house value of over $200k. Normally they do respect requests for a value re-assessment inside of a few months time, and if the actual selling price isn't proper basis for an assessment I don't know what is. I would call the town selectmen before purchasing the house and asking them their opinion on a re-assessment. If I see a selectmen I will ask them for sure... though I don't expect to see one for at least a couple of weeks.
    GOING ON NOW IN THE LIBERTY MOVEMENT - WWW.FREETALKLIVE.COM

JOIN OUR LAST BEST HOPE FOR LIBERTY - WWW.FREESTATEPROJECT.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by centure7 View Post
    I'm reasonably sure that is why the property is listed so cheap. If the house sells for $109,000, the tax bill may be possible to cut to $4k if not $3k after the sale. The tax bill is almost definitely based on a house value of over $200k. Normally they do respect requests for a value re-assessment inside of a few months time, and if the actual selling price isn't proper basis for an assessment I don't know what is. I would call the town selectmen before purchasing the house and asking them their opinion on a re-assessment. If I see a selectmen I will ask them for sure... though I don't expect to see one for at least a couple of weeks.
    But is this not devoid of sense?

If what you say is so, then why have the sellers not done this, not only for themselves, but for the sake of increasing salability?

Were I selling a non-trivial property, I would be doing whatever I could to make it as attractive as possible. If a mere request for reassessment were all I needed to do, it would be done forthwith.

Please do ask. Such things do not happen in dumps like NJ, where such request have actually resulted in INCREASED assessments, and that is no lie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12