Thread: Are We Witnessing The End Of The Progressives?

Are We Witnessing The End Of The Progressives?

Sorry for the hyperbolic sounding title, but I couldn't contrive a better one that wasn't 20 miles long.

The question, however, remains valid, no matter how seemingly unlikely.

If not the end of progressivism, might they be on the brink of sustaining a hit that stands to set them back perhaps eighty to one hundred years? I ask because of what I am witnessing. Look at the absurdity of the media behavior, with its frothing-at-the-mouth antics, crying "wolf" and "the sky is falling" with an absurd and transparent stridence I can recall at no other time in my life. They are whipping up the lefties, who are lapping up the spooge by the bucket-loads, getting all worked up and making warlike noises that seem unprecedented in our history. The left appears to be prepping for literal, physical warfare.

Are these frenetics not a sign of a wounded animal finding itself in a corner, casting wildly about for any way out, feeling there is nothing to lose by going pedal to the metal no matter how absurdly? Have we not seen this in other nations in the past, Germany coming to mind ca. early 1945? Is this not precisely what we would expect to see in the case where the deeper power felt such clear and present threats to all for which it has do dutifully labored for a century, and perhaps far longer? What would YOU do, were you in such a position?

It is all beginning to take on the tone of existential desperation.

What thinks ye?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Sorry for the hyperbolic sounding title, but I couldn't contrive a better one that wasn't 20 miles long.

The question, however, remains valid, no matter how seemingly unlikely.

If not the end of progressivism, might they be on the brink of sustaining a hit that stands to set them back perhaps eighty to one hundred years? I ask because of what I am witnessing. Look at the absurdity of the media behavior, with its frothing-at-the-mouth antics, crying "wolf" and "the sky is falling" with an absurd and transparent stridence I can recall at no other time in my life. They are whipping up the lefties, who are lapping up the spooge by the bucket-loads, getting all worked up and making warlike noises that seem unprecedented in our history. The left appears to be prepping for literal, physical warfare.

Are these frenetics not a sign of a wounded animal finding itself in a corner, casting wildly about for any way out, feeling there is nothing to lose by going pedal to the metal no matter how absurdly? Have we not seen this in other nations in the past, Germany coming to mind ca. early 1945? Is this not precisely what we would expect to see in the case where the deeper power felt such clear and present threats to all for which it has do dutifully labored for a century, and perhaps far longer? What would YOU do, were you in such a position?

It is all beginning to take on the tone of existential desperation.

What thinks ye?
    I think you need to temper your enthusiasm. After nearly every election, there are doomsday predictions for the losing party. They never pan out.

Why? Because both parties need each other. I've often said that the American political system relies on one "fearsome" party in power and another "savior" party within striking distance. Both sides rely on each other for fundraising purposes. This also keeps people away from third parties (out of fear that their flavor of authoritarianism will be replaced by someone else's).

So, no. (And this isn't even acknowledging the current progressive occupying the Executive branch.)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

The progressives aren't going anywhere, which is extremely unfortunate. They are deeply entrenched throughout the land. We won't rid ourselves of them sans violence. They won't even agree to a peaceful separation. They are just freaked out because they're used to controlling the narrative and that is slipping away from them to some degree.
    "The Patriarch"

The left appears to be prepping for literal, physical warfare.

What thinks ye?
    I sincerely hope so.

I'd like to get it over with before my son is of draft age.

Yeah, it's cyclical. No matter how polarized it appears on the surface, the Congress always seem to pass continuing resolutions and NDAA's
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I think you need to temper your enthusiasm. After nearly every election, there are doomsday predictions for the losing party. They never pan out.

Why? Because both parties need each other. I've often said that the American political system relies on one "fearsome" party in power and another "savior" party within striking distance. Both sides rely on each other for fundraising purposes. This also keeps people away from third parties (out of fear that their flavor of authoritarianism will be replaced by someone else's).

So, no. (And this isn't even acknowledging the current progressive occupying the Executive branch.)
    ^ this
    same $#@! different decade

I think you need to temper your enthusiasm.
    Point taken.

After nearly every election, there are doomsday predictions for the losing party. They never pan out.
    I'm not talking about predictions, but rather refer to the behavior in the press, which as flown right past the pale of rationality. I've never seen anything like this before. It could be nothing, but that seems a mite far-fetched.

Why? Because both parties need each other.
    I wrote nothing of "parties", but of the progressives. The way things tend to go, in another 30 years progressives could ID as Republicans. Nothing of that sort surprises me. This behavior in the press, however, seems to signal something we have not seen in our lifetimes. They are falling just short of explicit calls to violence by their adherents and THAT flies in the face of everything they have claimed to stand for.

It is clear that the Fourth Estate has become a fifth column. It is so obvious that anyone denying it is either perceptually handicapped in some unspeakably sad and tragic manner, or is in on something untoward. The behavior of the press has tap-danced its way well past the absurd, now vividly reminiscent of the last days of the Third Reich and the height of the transparent idiocies of Soviet propaganda. They have lost virtually all their art, which surprises me to no end as this was basically the only guarantor of their success in the past, and have devolved into brute and inept lying and distorting of truth. I cannot say for certain what this signifies, but it is definite and most certainly not a triviality. The trust of those over whose eyes you pull the wool is paramount in importance. To imperil it in the ways we now witness is indicative of something very significant in the works because I can imagine no degree of utter dominance that could not benefit greatly from maintaining the voluntary elements of a people's servitude.

I've often said that the American political system relies on one "fearsome" party in power and another "savior" party within striking distance. Both sides rely on each other for fundraising purposes. This also keeps people away from third parties (out of fear that their flavor of authoritarianism will be replaced by someone else's).
    One again your points are valid and well taken... just not that strongly connected to my specific purpose.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

The progressives control all three branches of the federal government, and every state governorship and legislature.

They totally control both main political parties. In every single presidential election in nearly a century, both major party candidates were progressives.

Donald Trump is far and away the most progressive Republican presidential nominee in history.

Most other countries of the world are more progressive than the USA.

So the answer is no.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Progressive/conservative are sides of the same coin and by and large that coin resides in the cities..

I wouldn't bat an eye if the cities started turning on themselves........They will sooner or later..

People can't be stacked 10 deep and expect everyone to remain peaceful no matter how heavily they're drugged.

Whether it's the progressives that start the fire or conservatives I don't care, burn the motherfuckers down.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    The progressives control all three branches of the federal government, and every state governorship and legislature.

They totally control both main political parties. In every single presidential election in nearly a century, both major party candidates were progressives.

Donald Trump is far and away the most progressive Republican presidential nominee in history.

Most other countries of the world are more progressive than the USA.

So the answer is no.
    This is exactly right.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Progressive/conservative are sides of the same coin and by and large that coin resides in the cities..

I wouldn't bat an eye if the cities started turning on themselves........They will sooner or later..

People can't be stacked 10 deep and expect everyone to remain peaceful no matter how heavily they're drugged.

Whether it's the progressives that start the fire or conservatives I don't care, burn the motherfuckers down.
    A cannot disagree with anything you wrote, but it still does not address that which we are witnessing - this apparent melt-down of the long-established media.

I seen no benefit of masquerade that this behavior imparts to Themme. I see only that they are exposing themselves for what they are and can make no immediately obvious sense of purpose. It seems they are losing their composure. But if not, then what's the play? Whatever it might be, it is rather to the oblique.

A cannot disagree with anything you wrote, but it still does not address that which we are witnessing - this apparent melt-down of the long-established media.

I seen no benefit of masquerade that this behavior imparts to Themme. I see only that they are exposing themselves for what they are and can make no immediately obvious sense of purpose. It seems they are losing their composure. But if not, then what's the play? Whatever it might be, it is rather to the oblique.
    I think The Media is having an Oz curtain moment........Nothing more.

I seen no benefit of masquerade that this behavior imparts to Themme...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/26/b...rump.html?_r=0

Television news is a cynical business, and some current and former executives say the battle is win-win. Mr. Trump’s lambasting of CNN is red meat for a Republican base angry at the mainstream press.

CNN has seen ratings rise as its reporters land big scoops — including major stories about Russia and the Trump campaign — and the network takes pains to promote its tough-minded attitude.... ....Mr. Zucker is coming off a record year at CNN, which rode the presidential campaign to its biggest ever audience. But MSNBC, which fell behind CNN last year, is now attracting more viewers in prime time, with stars like Rachel Maddow drawing liberals alarmed by Mr. Trump. (CNN counters that it beats MSNBC among viewers ages 25 to 54, the basis for advertising rates.)
    $$$ If you can't see the symbiotic relationship here, I'm not sure we can help you. This has been going on since early in the primary. We've been discussing it for over a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I think The Media is having an Oz curtain moment........Nothing more.

OK, but why? And don't trivialize it as "only" a moment. This seems to me rather big. I may be reading too much into it, but better that than to miss something important. These people have been so scrupulously careful in the past to maintain a minimum of appearances for the sake of credibility, yet now they appear to throw it all away. This is not happenstance, IMO. Therefore, either they are losing their composure, or there is some truly oblique stratagem being played. I cannot tell which, which is partly why I initiated this thread - in hope someone sees something that makes some brilliant sense beyond "they're having a brain fart" or some such.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/26/b...rump.html?_r=0

$$$ If you can't see the symbiotic relationship here, I'm not sure we can help you. This has been going on since early in the primary. We've been discussing it for over a year now.
    I can see it, but it doesn't explain sufficiently the risk assumed in this behavior. Or is it so simple as to be nothing more than that they think they are beyond such risk?

OK, but why? And don't trivialize it as "only" a moment. This seems to me rather big. I may be reading too much into it, but better that than to miss something important. These people have been so scrupulously careful in the past to maintain a minimum of appearances for the sake of credibility, yet now they appear to throw it all away. This is not happenstance, IMO. Therefore, either they are losing their composure, or there is some truly oblique stratagem being played. I cannot tell which, which is partly why I initiated this thread - in hope someone sees something that makes some brilliant sense beyond "they're having a brain fart" or some such.
    I'm too far disconnected to even offer a hypothesis...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These people have been so scrupulously careful in the past to maintain a minimum of appearances for the sake of credibility, yet now they appear to throw it all away.
    I don't see this at all.

With Trump's anti-media conniption fits, they have never looked as credible as they do now.

I can see it, but it doesn't explain sufficiently the risk assumed in this behavior. Or is it so simple as to be nothing more than that they think they are beyond such risk?
    The risks?! Hell, they are raking it in! This goes back to my first response. It's about fundraising. Whether it's the DNC/RNC or their media arms, the same holds true. The bigger the spectacle, the bigger the $$. The popular media doesn't exist to report the truth anymore than the political parties exist to efficiently run the government.

They are serving their interests - not yours.

The press is giving the audience what they want. This is what they want to see:

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

The risks?! Hell, they are raking it in! This goes back to my first response. It's about fundraising. Whether it's the DNC/RNC or their media arms, the same holds true. The bigger the spectacle, the bigger the $$. The popular media doesn't exist to report the truth anymore than the political parties exist to efficiently run the government.

They are serving their interests - not yours.
    Wait a minute here - I do not for one moment believe that the media are more driven by the quest for token fortune than their positions as arbiters of truth and wielders of political influence. Your explanation is not tracking with sense.

Wait a minute here - I do not for one moment believe that the media are more driven by the quest for token fortune than their positions as arbiters of truth and wielders of political influence.
    None of these things are not mutually exclusive. They are all in alignment with their interests.

I do not think it is the end, but they are showing their true selves. The democrat party is split between the oligarch puppets (Clintons) and the Rabid socialists. The Rabid socialists keep losing by manipulation (Bernie and Ellison?) to the oligarchs. The more the socialists continue to lose the more extreme they will become.

In the end the oligarchs will continue to try to control all, but my guess is they will not be able to contain the rising anger and dissent. The socialists will get their guy in on the next President Run or form their own party if the DNC does not show improvement in turning things around by 2018.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    The progressives aren't going anywhere, which is extremely unfortunate. They are deeply entrenched throughout the land. We won't rid ourselves of them sans violence. They won't even agree to a peaceful separation. They are just freaked out because they're used to controlling the narrative and that is slipping away from them to some degree.
    Yes .
    Do something Danke

None of these things are not mutually exclusive. They are all in alignment with their interests.
    Agreed. However, they do not all share the same value. Monetary fortune would likely take a distant back seat to the others. They love making the money, but suspect their inner globalists and SJWs also feel a deep responsibility to the "cause", which no doubt they feel is just and necessary to make real.

Money becomes a small thing in the eyes of men of vision, save that it serves as a means to their end. I do not believe these people to be utter fools. Hideous criminals with serious mental problems, oh yes. But are they so mad that they would lose all their senses and sensibility regarding their goals and objectives? Possible, but I remain convinced as to how probable.

PS: When you already have billions and the sorts of position of which we are speaking, additional money becomes a "nice to have" element and nobody but a complete fool would risk position, as well as those billions, for the sake of more money. It doesn't track at all.
    Last edited by osan; 02-27-2017 at 01:13 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    I do not think it is the end, but they are showing their true selves. The democrat party is split between the oligarch puppets (Clintons) and the Rabid socialists. The Rabid socialists keep losing by manipulation (Bernie and Ellison?) to the oligarchs. The more the socialists continue to lose the more extreme they will become.
    That is my precise point. Something indeed large appears to be transpiring there in the wake of Trump-as-trigger, and it seems to show in their apparently irrational behavior where they have abandoned all discretion and nominal intelligence in fits of ranting idiocy and what I see as unprecedentedly open advocacy of action against a seated president.

Could you imagine if an outlet like CNN or MSNBC had made the same noises in 2008? The entire boards of directors would be in prison on life terms and we would still be hearing about it regularly and with sustained noise and other fanfare.