Thread: Stockman: "After March 15 Everything Will Grind To A Halt"

Stockman: "After March 15 Everything Will Grind To A Halt"

Posting this here (as opposed to the economy & markets forum) because if Stockman is right, this could become one of the biggest political stories of 2017...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've been posting here many times about the debt ceiling suspension ending in March since the election. I agree with a lot of what he said but I disagree with a couple things. My guess is that the republicans simple re-suspend the debt ceiling until after the next mid term elections. And I also disagree that the Fed is done printing and keeping rates low. I don't think the Fed is going to stop stimulating until we get a currency crisis, until the official inflation rate is maybe 5-10% (the actual rate would be much higher).

Quote Originally Posted by openfire View Post
    Posting this here (as opposed to the economy & markets forum) because if Stockman is right, this could become one of the biggest political stories of 2017...
    Do you really think that a Republican party with a majority in both houses whose President was elected on a platform of spending trillions of dollars on government stimulus and corporate welfare is going to cut their own throats by preventing that spending?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Gee I wonder what will happen? Will the GOP suddenly become fiscal conservatives despite Trump wanting massive new spending? No.

Upside is that people like Rand, Amash, Massie and others can grab every microphone and camera in sight and call Trump and the GOP on their hypocrisy and bull$#@!.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

If you are interested in going to a party at Ron Paul's house, David Stockman will be there...

Details:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...e-Age-Of-Trump
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

We shall see. We had seen these doom theories since 2012.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will Republicans call for a balanced budget like they did when Democrats were in power? Or will they raise or even get rid of the debt ceiling and add to the debt? I am more inclined to go with the latter. With all of his spending ideas and proposed tax cuts and calling for more government borrowing while rates are low Trump certainly doesn't favor a balanced budget- let alone real budget cuts.

Trump can propose a budget but Congress has to write and pass the actual spending bills.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-27-2017 at 01:22 PM.

OMB has a balanced budget guy, he says they will soon hate him in DC.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

According to Stockman, Trump gets to focus the spending (monthly revenues) on his priorities and shelve the non priority bills. In other words, potentially renegotiate certain debts and payments which will be interesting to see. Inheriting a $20 trill debt w/ a $#@!ty economy can't be fun but there needs to be massive government spending cuts and a total overhaul of SS and medicare to even make way for tax cuts. Forget adding a dime to the military, audit the freakin Pentagon and get rid of the garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    According to Stockman, Trump gets to focus the spending (monthly revenues) on his priorities and shelve the non priority bills. In other words, potentially renegotiate certain debts and payments which will be interesting to see. Inheriting a $20 trill debt w/ a $#@!ty economy can't be fun but there needs to be massive government spending cuts and a total overhaul of SS and medicare to even make way for tax cuts. Forget adding a dime to the military, audit the freakin Pentagon and get rid of the garbage.
    Trump has said he will not touch welfare programs like SS and Medicaid (in fairness, Ron Paul also said he would not cut those either to "honor promises the country had made to people" who had qualified for them) . The only other target of large spending one could cut from is defense- and he wants to spend more on that. Social Security and Medicaid spending will continue to rise even if no changes are made in them.

2017 proposed budget:
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-27-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Trump has said he will not touch welfare programs like SS and Medicaid. The only other target of large spending one could cut from is defense- and he wants to spend more on that. Social Security and Medicaid spending will continue to rise even if no changes are made in them.

2017 proposed budget:
    If he intends to run a second time he should leave those alone and cut everything else to the bone now . See what can be done later there . Personally , I would settle for a lump sum refund of the first 225,000 I pd in .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    We shall see. We had seen these doom theories since 2012.
    Chances are the crash won't be in March, predicting the timing is impossible. But I think we'll learn a whole lot more about the Trump Administration than we know now. So far we really have no idea what he's going to do. This will be the first real data we get, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Do you really think that a Republican party with a majority in both houses whose President was elected on a platform of spending trillions of dollars on government stimulus and corporate welfare is going to cut their own throats by preventing that spending?
    Yup. Also Stockman kind of makes it sound like suspending the debt ceiling only happened once and won't happen again. In reality they've suspended the debt ceiling the last 3 times beginning in 2013. We don't raise it anymore. Suspending it is the new normal. I'm pretty sure the last two suspensions happened without much controversy.

What annoys me is the hysterical reaction by the media to enforcing the debt ceiling. Yes, it will suck but it prevents a much bigger problem in the future.

Trump has said he will not touch welfare programs like SS and Medicaid (in fairness, Ron Paul also said he would not cut those either to "honor promises the country had made to people" who had qualified for them) .
    I'm keenly aware of both Trump's and Ron's positions on the matter but I disagree w/ both of them. Nothing personal but these same people (by and large) that based their lives upon promises made to them by corrupt politicians and voted for more of them, time and time again, need to take responsibility for that and should've had a personal safety net to brace for impact these same empty promises coming from these known lying politicians all along. Oyarde is right about getting reelected and all so I would like to see as much as possible be cut to the bone even if I don't have my way on the major entitlements in the short term. I have sympathy for those w/ chronic health/physical issues and we should leave them in the loop until a vast array of charitable help options can manifest again but means testing has to be in play if we truly want to MAGA.

I like Trump on certain things but military spending and holding the line on entitlements doesn't make financial sense. Time will tell how this all plays out. I'm long Bitcoin and metals and live beneath my means. Too many have lived above their means and/or have lived off the backs of others for too long and the future won't be kind to them.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Chances are the crash won't be in March, predicting the timing is impossible. But I think we'll learn a whole lot more about the Trump Administration than we know now. So far we really have no idea what he's going to do. This will be the first real data we get, in my opinion.
    Indeed, more likely there are a chances for a major crisis in Europe not US. The signs are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    I'm keenly aware of both Trump's and Ron's positions on the matter but I disagree w/ both of them. Nothing personal but these same people (by and large) that based their lives upon promises made to them by corrupt politicians and voted for more of them, time and time again, need to take responsibility for that and should've had a personal safety net to brace for impact these same empty promises coming from these known lying politicians all along. Oyarde is right about getting reelected and all so I would like to see as much as possible be cut to the bone even if I don't have my way on the major entitlements in the short term. I have sympathy for those w/ chronic health/physical issues and we should leave them in the loop until a vast array of charitable help options can manifest again but means testing has to be in play if we truly want to MAGA.

I like Trump on certain things but military spending and holding the line on entitlements doesn't make financial sense. Time will tell how this all plays out. I'm long Bitcoin and metals and live beneath my means. Too many have lived above their means and/or have lived off the backs of others for too long and the future won't be kind to them.
    I agree with much of what you said but I hate means testing for SS! Why should responsible people who live beneath their means get screwed by people who live in debt? I totally agree SS should be phased out, but it should be phased out for everyone. Gradually raise the age or gradually cut benefits and gradually lower the payroll tax. But no exceptions for people who are financially responsible. That would be the ultimate screw to see my neighbors living off SS because they pissed away their money while I have to live off my own savings.

Good vid. A lot of people are complacent, but the debt and deficit didn't disappear. I'm glad I'm hearing $#@! like hiring freeze, mass firings of 7th floor $#@!s, and such. I haven't gotten my hopes up or down. It is just hard to make an honest analysis with the changes taking place.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

Stockman is wrong. The GOP has the the white house, congress and senate. They have no interest in cutting off their spending now. They will keep the Fed printing Trump's whole term. There will be no crisis or crash.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Stockman is wrong. The GOP has the the white house, congress and senate. They have no interest in cutting off their spending now. They will keep the Fed printing Trump's whole term. There will be no crisis or crash.
    They may be forced to by the bankers. That's still who Congress, by and large, takes their orders from, not voters. If the bankers are cutting off the credit card then Congress has no choice.

I thought it interesting that Congressional travel expenses went from $300,000 in 2015 to over a million in 2016, with a lot of the travel being to London and back.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    They may be forced to by the bankers. That's still who Congress, by and large, takes their orders from, not voters. If the bankers are cutting off the credit card then Congress has no choice.

I thought it interesting that Congressional travel expenses went from $300,000 in 2015 to over a million in 2016, with a lot of the travel being to London and back.
    Numbers are way low. Unless you mean each member. Could be several reasons London may be listed as a top destination. One- they speak the same language. Two- London may be a stopover to other points in Europe or Africa.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...seas/98351442/

Congress spent at least $14.7 million on taxpayer-funded trips in fiscal year 2016, a 27% increase over the year before, according to Congress’ own accounting.

And that may be a low estimate. The Treasury Department reported that congressional travel cost nearly $20 million last year, the highest figure ever recorded, based on data provided by the State Department, which arranges official foreign travel for lawmakers. Neither Treasury nor State would explain the discrepancy, but both agencies stood by the higher figure.
    Also it does not include trips on military transport which taxpayers may also be paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I agree with much of what you said but I hate means testing for SS! Why should responsible people who live beneath their means get screwed by people who live in debt? I totally agree SS should be phased out, but it should be phased out for everyone. Gradually raise the age or gradually cut benefits and gradually lower the payroll tax. But no exceptions for people who are financially responsible. That would be the ultimate screw to see my neighbors living off SS because they pissed away their money while I have to live off my own savings.
    Based upon the system in place, means testing is inherently wrong. But, the whole game is rigged and those that have will have to take a haircut to keep the shell game going and let the numbers help along w/ the other needed cuts. In lieu of that, this nation-state is finished and it's every person for themselves. Bitcoin and metals will moon while the average person, like 75% or more of the population, will be in dire straits. That said, if Trump has some ace up his sleeve to repudiate all the debts held by bankers and foreigners, we'll see. I just don't see the dollar surviving at this point, either way.

Numbers are way low. Unless you mean each member. Could be several reasons London may be listed as a top destination. One- they speak the same language. Two- London may be a stopover to other points in Europe or Africa.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...seas/98351442/

Also it does not include trips on military transport which taxpayers may also be paying for.

Yeah that was the article I read, numbers were top-of-the-head. Big jump in expenses regardless.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.