Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanging off a skyscraper...

Hanging off a skyscraper...

Do you like high places?

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are many high places in High Sierra

I don't like to hang on the edge of a sky scraper too much if I can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

ummmm...no

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Maybe... If life ever gets that dull for me, I'll consider it. I simply dont require that kind of stimulation at this time.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by Dickens View Post
    Is this guy Spiderman? That's insane and I don't see any ropes, either.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Jan2017

Parachuting from helicopter to land on skyscraper seems safer (?)

The first thing that comes to mind is what if some of that eroding rock breaks away?

It does happen...

According to a friend who posted details on supertopo.com, the two carried a rope on Bear Creek Spire, but were only bringing it out for steeper sections. Near the summit, Birukova was climbing ahead, negotiating some loose terrain, when a “big chunk of rock broke from under her feet,” according to the post on supertopo.com. She fell 800 to 1,000 feet, according to the Inyo County Search and Rescue (ICSAR) coordinator, Nate Derr. Birukova’s body was recovered on September 20.
    http://www.rockandice.com/climbing-a...ire-california
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is what if some of that eroding rock breaks away?

It does happen...
    You can see such thing in the second half of this video

That's the far greater danger. Free climbing is also politically incorrect.

i get pretty high most every night...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If he isn't using safety ropes it is free solo climbing.
    That's the far greater danger. Free climbing is also politically incorrect.

War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    If he isn't using safety ropes it is free solo climbing.
    Yes, but nobody uses this clumsy term with regard to the roofers. Some people started to use the term "free climbing" to oppose it to aid climbing. The latter is when you, for example, stick a cam in a crack and use it as a hold. And they started to use the term "free climbing" to describe the ascent when you do not use artificial aids as holds but still use them and a rope for safety. And there came the term "free solo" which describes real free climbing.

This technicalities present no interest for a political forum. The interesting thing is the vicious hatred which some elements feel towards free climbers. The following quotes are from the comments posted to this free climbing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1AAluDti04

tim w3 weeks ago
    please fall to your death. please don't pass your stupid genes unto the next generation.
    jakzine5401 week ago
    We can only hope they don't reproduce. Let the true savior of life Charles Darwin take the wheel here, and prevent the reoccurrence of massively unsafe risks to the lives and property of others.
    TJP773 weeks ago
    This kid is a expletive removed $#@!. If he fell from that height he could very easily kill other people, or at the very least severely traumatize them when they see his body splatter in front of them. Not to mention the lawsuits that his family would file against the city and construction company. The sad thing is this is a fad on YouTube, but it's mostly in Russia. The only way to prevent copycats here is to throw the book at this kid. Real jail time.
    TJP772 weeks ago
    He should get ten years in prison, period.

Yes, but nobody uses this clumsy term with regard to the roofers. Some people started to use the term "free climbing" to oppose it to aid climbing. The latter is when you, for example, stick a cam in a crack and use it as a hold. And they started to use the term "free climbing" to describe the ascent when you do not use artificial aids as holds but still use them and a rope for safety. And there came the term "free solo" which describes real free climbing.

This technicalities present no interest for a political forum. The interesting thing is the vicious hatred which some elements feel towards free climbers. The following quotes are from the comments posted to this free climbing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1AAluDti04
    And the funny thing is most people say the same thing about all mountaineers. Free solo was beyond my personal willingness for risk but I never slammed people that take that higher risk. I did mountain rescue for a number of years and never felt the need to slam the risks others took. A lot of people like to carry on about the risks they put the rescuers in but I was a volunteer specifically because I wanted to give people that pushed boundaries another chance. I would have rather picked a person off a cliff that made a mistake pushing the limits of human achievement, than picking an overweight person off a couch that challenged only the remote.
    The site owner Bryan used to be a mountaineer.
    Last edited by klamath; 03-20-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    i get pretty high most every night...
    Be sure and use a safety harness...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    And the funny thing is most people say the same thing about all mountaineers.
    The prayer to Darwin uttered by one of the haters calls into mind the Darwin Award. Do you think this award was established to mock people doing dangerous sports or stunts?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Climber Conquers Yosemite Peak Without Ropes

(NEWSER) – A California rock climber has become the first person to conquer Yosemite's El Capitan without using ropes, USA Today reports. Alex Honnold, 31, scaled the nearly 3,000-foot peak on Saturday going free solo, meaning he didn't use ropes, harness, or other safety equipment. "This is the ‘moon landing’ of free-soloing," fellow climber Tommy Caldwell tells National Geographic. It's a particularly daunting prospect since the Guardian notes the granite peak is ranked as among the most difficult, with some hand-holds the width of raisins. After stunning the climbing world with other rope-free feats, Honnold had quietly trained for his latest exploit for more than a year. After spending the night in his van, Honnold pulled on a red T-shirt, nylon pants, and sticky-soled climbing shoes.

With chalk to keep his hands dry tucked in a bag around his waist, Honnold set off at 5:32am. He made the summit three hours and 56 minutes later. "So stoked to realize a life dream today " he tweeted. Caldwell and a National Geographic crew were along for the climb, which they filmed for a documentary. "Alex was on fire," Caldwell tells the mag, which called the feat the greatest in the history of pure rock climbing. Honnold had ditched an earlier bid to climb El Capitan in November, saying it didn't feel right. This time around, Honnold confesses he was "slightly nervous" at the bottom. "I mean it’s a freaking big wall above you." But as he began his ascent, he adds, "the climbing just felt amazing."
    http://www.newser.com/story/243800/c...out-ropes.html

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-25-2018 at 07:46 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

Ya, I know he is dead, thanks...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast