Thread: Tx. poisoning wild hogs

Tx. poisoning wild hogs

Seems like it'd be more cost effective to let folks come hunt?

But whadda I know?

Texas Ag Commissioner Approves Poison to Combat Wild Hogs, But There Could be Unintended Consequences

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017...-consequences/

Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller has approved the use of pesticides in the state of Texas when targeting wild pigs. Of course, this news has startled environmentalists and hunters because there are many questions to be asked about the safety of this approach.

Warfarin is the poison in question here, and it’s the same drug found in rat poison.

What happens to a hunter if they were to eat a pig that has been exposed to this poison? What about when other wildlife, such as coyotes and vultures, are feeding on the deceased pig? Those are just some of the questions that have come up with this new approval. In fact, not long ago, OutdoorHub covered a story where a family shot a wild hog on their ranch, only to discover the pigs fat was dyed a vibrant shade of blue.

On Tuesday, the Texas Agriculture Commissioner’s Office emailed CBS11 this statement:

We did not make this rule change to list warfarin as a state-limited-use pesticide without fully reviewing the data and research available on this product. Kaput Feral Hog Bait has been researched extensively and field-tested in Texas over the past decade in partnerships with various state agencies including TDA. Hogs are susceptible to warfarin toxicity, whereas humans and other animals require much higher levels of exposure to achieve toxic effects.

EPA approved Kaput Feral Hog Bait’s pesticide labeling with the signal word “Caution,” which is the lowest category of toxicity to humans requiring a signal word. Although the EPA did not list this product as a federal restricted-use product, we made the decision to list warfarin as a state-limited-use pesticide in Texas so that purchase and application is made only by educated, licensed pesticide applicators who have been trained specifically on the use of this product. The product may be only bought and used by licensed pesticide applicators when dispensed in specially-designed hog feeders that have weighted lids that only open from the bottom, making it difficult for other animals to be exposed to the bait.

Warfarin has been studied extensively in animals and is practically non-toxic to birds. Due to the insolubility of warfarin in water, there should be no impact to aquatic life. Non-target wildlife, livestock and domestic pets would have to ingest extremely large quantities over the course of several days to reach a toxic level of warfarin in the bloodstream. In the event of unintended exposure, the antidote, Vitamin K, can be administered by a veterinarian. In general, secondary exposure to other animals is low because the levels of warfarin in target animals are generally too low to be toxic to either a predator or scavenger.

Warfarin at 0.005 percent as a feral hog toxicant has been shown to have a low level of residue in hog meat, especially in muscle tissue, which is what humans typically consume. One person would have to eat 2.2 lbs of hog liver–where the warfarin is most concentrated in the body–to achieve the same exposure as a human would receive in one therapeutic dose of warfarin (current therapeutic levels range from 2 to 10 mg daily). Warfarin metabolizes and exits the body fairly quickly, so a hog that was trapped and fed for several days prior to processing would most likely not have any warfarin present at the time of slaughter.

In addition, hogs who have consumed the warfarin bait will have blue dye present in the fatty tissues as soon as 24 hours after ingestion. The dye builds up in the fatty tissue, so the more bait the hog has consumed, the brighter blue the tissues will be, signaling hunters that this hog has ingested the bait. Blue dye is present in the fat directly underneath the skin as well as in the fat deposits surrounding organs and in the aforementioned liver. All will take on the characteristic blue tint of the dye, which serves as a visual indicator of bait ingestion.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

But whadda I know?
    Well, I doubt there will be much hunting going on now.

They were hunting them with helicoptors for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Well, I doubt there will be much hunting going on now.
    Which will eventually increase the population would be my guess .
    Do something Danke

They should give them birth control

that has been illegalized in many states

logic

if open season on hogs:

hunters catch + release hogs to hunt... spreading population of free food while damaging unsustainable monocrop agro-business models

can't have that

Q. If I see a Eurasian boar while I am deer hunting, can I shoot it?
    A. No. It is illegal to hunt or trap free-ranging Eurasian boars in New York State.
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html

hence:

http://bastiat.org/en/petition.html
    Last edited by presence; 02-26-2017 at 10:50 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    that has been illegalized in many states

logic

if open season on hogs:

hunters catch + release hogs to hunt... spreading population of free food while damaging unsustainable monocrop agro-business models

can't have that

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html
    Seems like a fair business model......

Bring in a mess of city-slickers and outfit 'em with night vision and let 'em hunt..

Send 'em home with coolers full of meat..

but if people have free pigs to eat they won't buy any pork at the store

"the producer has a stake in their exclusion"

-Bastiat
    Last edited by presence; 02-26-2017 at 11:23 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

But whadda I know?

You have to be elected, then you know everything.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    but if people have free pigs to eat they won't buy any at the store
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    You have to be elected, then you know everything.
    I profess my ignorance....

Hmm...Warfarin, a rat poisoning that they give to many elderly patients in the US, including Hillary.

They should allow open hunting to decrease the population.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Bring in a mess of city-slickers and outfit 'em with night vision and let 'em hunt..

Screw business models,,,

Send them out hunting boar with .22s.
    let nature sort things out..

Pay per view is an option though.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    must have been doing a crap job of it

Winter in TX.. seems like the perfect season to hunt
    must be too many restrictions and licensing crap to participate
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Sounds stupid to me. They should put a bounty on them would take care of it.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    must have been doing a crap job of it

Winter in TX.. seems like the perfect season to hunt
    must be too many restrictions and licensing crap to participate
    Just think........In order to be "legal" they'd have to hire thousands of USDA inspectors, OSHA inspectors, ATF and fish-n-game, pass legislation to ammend hunting season and then have meetings and quorums to bicker about lost revenue....

A politicians wet dream.......

Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    Sounds stupid to me. They should put a bounty on them would take care of it.
    Yeah, that would make one hell of a lot more sense.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

From what I understand, they aren't that good eating meat unless they are young.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    From what I understand, they aren't that good eating meat unless they are young.
    Beats the hell out of this;

I eat wild boar all the time, I dunno how old they are though I just buy it at the store. They have ground wild boar too. It's good for mixing into meatballs.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It is good on the bbq .
    Do something Danke

Cooked all day in a pit stuffed with taters and veggies. Old pig will do fine.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

loveshiscountry

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I've watched a few youtubes on it. Vid quality isn't the best but these guys are good shots.

Tx. poisoning wild hogs

Chris Christie stay away.