Thread: This foam stops bullets cold and pulverizes them to dust

This foam stops bullets cold and pulverizes them to dust

By Allison Barrie Published February 23, 2017

Foam body armor? Even armor-piercing bullets cannot get through this foam.

And the foam doesn’t just stop bullets. It destroys them…this foam decimates bullets into dust.

North Carolina State University Professor Afsaneh Rabiei led the team that created the amazing foam.

This is not ordinary foam like the kind used for shaving, for example. This is a special type of foam called composite metal foams, or CMF.

The military and law enforcement could use this kind of foam for advanced, ultra light body armor to protect personnel.

And this research team has other foams up its sleeve that have the potential to keep military and first responders safe from radiation and extreme heat too.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/02/...lar+Content%29
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This could be really helpful on space craft.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

By Allison Barrie Published February 23, 2017

Foam body armor? Even armor-piercing bullets cannot get through this foam.

And the foam doesn’t just stop bullets. It destroys them…this foam decimates bullets into dust.

North Carolina State University Professor Afsaneh Rabiei led the team that created the amazing foam.

This is not ordinary foam like the kind used for shaving, for example. This is a special type of foam called composite metal foams, or CMF.

The military and law enforcement could use this kind of foam for advanced, ultra light body armor to protect personnel.

And this research team has other foams up its sleeve that have the potential to keep military and first responders safe from radiation and extreme heat too.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/02/...lar+Content%29

How about the rest of us? I can market organ shaped foam blockers.. protect your heart.. kidneys.. liver... maybe even artery shapes.. like a big spider web over blood vessels.. hats... hoodies.. knee pads

betcha Trump wouldn't get behind deregulating this
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I'm betting a 400 grain+, monolithic, low velocity projectile would probably defeat it... Then again, so would a pick axe... Something tells me this behaves much like a bucket of sand.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Without having to watch the whole video to find out, do they show this stuff in action?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Without having to watch the whole video to find out, do they show this stuff in action?
    Yeah, around 1:17. They show a bullet going into it but they don't show it turned to dust. Still, pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

It would be interesting alchemy involved in turning lead to dust.

bold claim. Transmutation of metals.
    That could be worth something.
    Now I don't know, but I been told it's hard to run with the weight of gold,
    Other hand I have heard it said, it's just as hard with the weight of lead.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm glad it will be available to the heroes in our society.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'm glad it will be available to the heroes in our society.
    ...and banned for mundanes, natch.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    I'm betting a 400 grain+, monolithic, low velocity projectile would probably defeat it... Then again, so would a pick axe... Something tells me this behaves much like a bucket of sand.
    I am betting armor makes folk arrogant and stupid.

and I am betting the laws of physics,, and conservation of energy still apply.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I am betting armor makes folk arrogant and stupid.

and I am betting the laws of physics,, and conservation of energy still apply.
    I'll bet that better than 90% of body armor wearers on US soil were arrogant and stupid before they donned armor....

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    In tests, the team shot at the foam body armor with 7.62 x 63 mm M2 armor-piercing round.
    How well did it work?
    Their foam absorbed the bullet’s kinetic energy.

The foam worked so well that an armor-piercing round could only penetrate less than an inch on the weapon-facing side of the shield.
    That means it works about as well as a military ceramic ESAPI plate. The utility would seem to be ceramic plate repair and protecting non linear surfaces to some degree.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

I read about this earlier.

Foamed metals are an interesting breed that have been around about 30-35 years. The problem with them lies in the manufacture. Gravity wreaks some havoc with forming the matrices. A highly uniform matrix was produced on one of the space shuttle missions in the 80s or early 90s. They have gotten little press since then.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    This foam stops bullets cold and pulverizes them to dust. And the foam doesn’t just stop bullets. It destroys them…this foam decimates bullets into dust.
    This actually may not be a good thing, as it implies more widely spread damage to the matrix, which in turn implies reduced structure remaining for subsequent impacts.

Note how we, the lowly individual civilians, are apparently no candidates for such protection.

Were I a manufacturer, it would be for sale to anyone BUT government. No foam for you!

Regards,

-Foam NAZI
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

For those interested:

The researchers found that the high-Z foam was comparable to bulk materials at blocking high-energy gamma rays, but was much better than bulk materials – even bulk steel – at blocking low-energy gamma rays.

Similarly, the high-Z foam outperformed other materials at blocking neutron radiation.

The high-Z foam performed better than most materials at blocking X-rays, but was not quite as effective as lead.

“However, we are working to modify the composition of the metal foam to be even more effective than lead at blocking X-rays – and our early results are promising,” Rabiei says. “And our foams have the advantage of being non-toxic, which means that they are easier to manufacture and recycle. In addition, the extraordinary mechanical and thermal properties of composite metal foams, and their energy absorption capabilities, make the material a good candidate for various nuclear structural applications.”

The paper, “Attenuation efficiency of X-ray and comparison to gamma ray and neutrons in composite metal foams,” is published in Radiation Physics and Chemistry. Lead author is Shuo Chen, a recent Ph.D. graduate at NC State. The paper was co-authored by Mohamed Bourham, a professor of nuclear engineering at NC State. The work was supported by DOE’s Office of Nuclear Energy under Nuclear Energy University Program grant number CFP-11-1643.
    https://news.ncsu.edu/2015/07/rabiei-foam-rays-2015/

... The bullet in the video is a 7.62 x 63 millimeter M2 armor piercing projectile, which was fired according to the standard testing procedures established by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ). And the results were dramatic. (The video can also be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWmFu-_54fI).

“We could stop the bullet at a total thickness of less than an inch, while the indentation on the back was less than 8 millimeters,” Rabiei says. “To put that in context, the NIJ standard allows up to 44 millimeters indentation in the back of an armor.” The results of that study were published in 2015. ...
    https://news.ncsu.edu/2016/04/metal-foam-tough-2016/

More: https://news.ncsu.edu/2016/03/rabiei-heat-2016/

where does the energy go?

My simplistic understanding of physics tells me it is transferred.

Where and into what?

Light?
    Heat?
    Motion?

I personally believe that 1000 ft lbs of energy would still be debilitating.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.