Thread: What do RPF members think of Cotton?

What do RPF members think of Cotton?

Never heard of that guy before. On which side is he?

Cotton Emerging as Valued Trump Wingman in the Senate

In search of a new national security adviser after Michael Flynn resigned his post earlier this month, President Trump and his inner circle leaned on input from an informal, but increasingly influential, adviser on the outside: Sen. Tom Cotton.

The Arkansas Republican would come to play a leading role at this high-stakes juncture in steering Trump toward Flynn’s replacement, Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster — consecrating a fruitful partnership between Cotton and the White House that both sides have cultivated for months.

On the day after Flynn’s resignation, the freshman senator told RealClearPolitics that Trump would need “a national security adviser who will be an honest broker between ... Cabinet members, someone in the Brent Scowcroft or the Stephen Hadley model,” nodding to two former advisers under Presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, respectively.

“Dave McCormick and H.R. McMaster are two people who I think would be very excellent in that model,” Cotton added. “They’re not celebrities, they’re not high-profile, but we don’t need that in a national security adviser.”

At the time, neither man was being bandied about as a top candidate. When asked whether he had relayed those recommendations to the White House, Cotton said he was doing so through his statement to a reporter.

But Cotton ultimately did express his preferences directly to the White House, a senior adviser there said — and McMaster, under whom Cotton had served in the Army, would subsequently emerge as an attractive pick. After retired Vice Adm. Bob Harward turned down an offer, the president would land on McMaster.

"He is a man of tremendous talent and tremendous experience," Trump said, announcing his pick this week.

Cotton, the senior White House adviser said, was the first person to float McMaster as a candidate. His recommendation carried unusual sway: With Trump’s loyal wingman Jeff Sessions having retired from the Senate to run the Department of Justice, Cotton very well might be the administration’s new favorite senator.

“Senators can always get their calls returned, and administration officials are polite when a senator makes a personnel recommendation or raises a policy issue,” said Bill Kristol, editor at large of the Weekly Standard. “What's different with Tom is that lots of people throughout the administration, from its Trumpiest to least Trumpiest parts, genuinely respect his advice and assume that he's actually thought things through strategically.”

The Harvard-educated Army veteran has found a particular booster in Steve Bannon, the president’s chief strategist. During a radio interview last year, while chairman of Breitbart News, Bannon praised Cotton for remarks on criminal justice reform (“You threw down,” as he put it), and added that his daughter, a West Point graduate and Army officer, is a fan.

Cotton reciprocated during the campaign, vouching support for Trump when other Republicans wavered. His public show of confidence was all the more impactful and surprising because Cotton, as a vocal defense hawk and emerging GOP leader on foreign policy, would have fundamentally disagreed with Trump on a host of key policy issues.

“If Donald Trump is elected president, I will support him when he is right and we’ll try to change [his] direction when he is wrong,” Cotton explained at the Aspen Ideas Festival during the summer.

Rarely has there been such an opportunity to immediately and significantly mold a president from outside the White House; most presidents arrive in Washington with a pre-defined inner circle, including a trusted foreign policy team working from an established worldview. But not so with Trump, a first-time politician with no policy chops of his own, whose unconventional campaign dissuaded many top Republicans from signing on.

Following the campaign, Cotton “made a strong impression” on Trump during a preliminary interview as one of five candidates for defense secretary, said the senior adviser. Although the post ultimately went to retired Gen. James Mattis, Cotton did not recede from the Trump fold -- instead asserting himself on some of the administration’s key personnel decisions.

Cotton helped to bring in retired Gen. John Kelly to lead the Department of Homeland Security. And he recommended Elliott Abrams, a Reagan and George W. Bush alum, as Rex Tillerson’s deputy at the State Department.

Abrams won the support of Trump’s inner circle, but the president put the kibosh on the pick when he learned that Abrams had publicly opposed him during the election. His top advisers and Cotton “couldn't save Trump from himself,” one senior GOP Senate aide sighed.

But Cotton has forged ahead despite that setback, successfully pushing hard for McMaster in the influential national security adviser role.

Cotton “always gives sound advice,” the senior White House adviser said, and “the president respects his judgment.”

His role informally advising the administration could also reassure skeptical government and policy professionals, who have watched from the sidelines as the young White House has careened from one crisis to the next.

Evelyn Farkas, a deputy assistant secretary of defense during the Obama administration, said Cotton “would be a positive influence because he has experience: military experience, but also political experience.”

And he has lent both to a White House with little institutional knowledge of or involvement with either -- emerging as a key ally in the process.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...te_133168.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    neocon
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    neocon
    Coming from you, that would mean the opposite.

Anyways, RCP praising Cotton seems fishy. Cotton plugged McMaster.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

....anyone not a goddamned republican-radio fool understands cotton is another bank$ter puppet, warmonger, etc..a real peckerhead...

If you like McCain, Kristol, Graham and their ilk, you'll love Cotton.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    Never heard of that guy before. On which side is he?

Wow.
    "The Patriarch"

Cotton is a Kristol protege, as is Pence, who is bringing Cotton in.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Reference-List
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Coming from you, that would mean the opposite.
    CPUd is 100% correct. Maybe research Cotton before jumping down his/her throat and looking foolish.

He is on snopes - http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/tomcotton.asp

And, by the way, having graduated from Harvard Law and practiced with a federal appellate judge and two Washington law firms before becoming an infantry officer, I am well-versed in the espionage laws relevant to this story and others — laws you have plainly violated. I hope that my colleagues at the Department of Justice match the courage of my soldiers here and prosecute you and your newspaper to the fullest extent of the law. By the time we return home, maybe you will be in your rightful place: not at the Pulitzer announcements, but behind bars.
    Wonder what happened to his tough talk.

Tom Cotton = John McCain Jr.

What do RPF members think of Cotton?
    It makes better sheets than wool.

Good textile for many uses,, but would still prefer hemp for many. Especially blue jeans.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Tom Cotton = John McCain Jr.
    Did Cotton rat on his fellow POW's?

AIPAC stooge.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cotton Emerging as Valued Trump Wingman in the Senate
    That's all we need to know right there.

Post #8 nailed it.

Is he still the youngest senator? He sure did figure out which way the wind blows pretty quickly.

Tom Cotton:

muh Israel
    muh war with Iran
    muh drug war
    muh border wall
    muh drone bombs make america safe
    muh empty guantano beds
    muh anti immigration policy creates jobs

Last edited by presence; 02-24-2017 at 01:11 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

i was genuinely curious. I go to RCP everyday and it is the first day I see Cotton. And i see RCP saying Cotton Wingman of Trump.....

Never heard of the guy. I don't like Kristol. He is a NeverTrump. Any NeverTrump is a bad guy.

So RCP pushing Cotton with a narrative that he is a trusted adviser. I see where they are trying to lead the opinion.

I prefer Egyptian long fiber cotton. Is there going to be a terriff on that now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzo View Post
    CPUd is 100% correct. Maybe research Cotton before jumping down his/her throat and looking foolish.
    All Mordan needs to know is that Cotton is a fellow leftwing Trump snowflake, and that means he's good.

Any NeverTrump is a bad guy.
    See?

N.B. Ron Paul is NeverTrump.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cotton is the old, tired, neoconservative idiocy put into a younger body. McCain with a god-damned body transfer. The guy is trash. He has never had a thought that wasn't vapid, and is a mouthpiece for every sort of warmongering you could expect from his ilk. He's never met an American soldier he hasn't wanted to put into a body bag in the name of his vision of foreign policy.

If Trump uses him as an adviser, then that is an indictment of Trump's intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

only thing that matters is if he falls in line when its time to vote for the coming bills.

other than that, i wouldn't put him in charge of anything important.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    neocon
    Gopher puppet for neocons. A really unsavory man.

Quote Originally Posted by BSWPaulsen View Post
    Cotton is the old, tired, neoconservative idiocy put into a younger body. McCain with a god-damned body transfer. The guy is trash. He has never had a thought that wasn't vapid, and is a mouthpiece for every sort of warmongering you could expect from his ilk. He's never met an American soldier he hasn't wanted to put into a body bag in the name of his vision of foreign policy.

If Trump uses him as an adviser, then that is an indictment of Trump's intelligence.
    Well said. Except we've seen some reasonable speculation that Trump might be able to have truly nasty people close at hand without necessarily adopting their platforms. Time will tell.