Thread: Flat Tariff Amendment

Flat Tariff Amendment

I believe it is time to promote a flat tariff amendment to the U.S. Constitution to replace all other federal taxes.

I would like help with drafting the amendment in the simplest possible language so that current federal tax revenue is replaced gradually over x number of years. If the phase over period were 5 years, total tax revenue would be divided by 5 for the first year, and a tariff rate calculated based upon current imports that would generate the same revenue.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump to eliminate IRS.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

I stand with those who smuggle past your tariffs.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

You could tax all Imports at 100% and still wouldn't cover the revenue the income taxes brings in, and that's while pretending that imports wouldn't collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by sratiug View Post
    I believe it is time to promote a flat tariff amendment to the U.S. Constitution to replace all other federal taxes.
    As others have said, that's not possible.

To finance the government exclusively on a tariff, the government would need to be much smaller (which it should be regardless).

Current federal spending is about twice the total value of US imports.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I stand with those who smuggle past your tariffs.
    Is that easier than evading the payroll tax?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlerzzz View Post
    You could tax all Imports at 100% and still wouldn't cover the revenue the income taxes brings in, and that's while pretending that imports wouldn't collapse.
    So make it 200%. The tax is here already, collapsing domestic production.

Quote Originally Posted by MallsRGood View Post

To finance the government exclusively on a tariff, the government would need to be much smaller (which it should be regardless).

The phase over period allows time for our multi-national corporate masters to lobby their politicians to make the government much smaller (which it should be regardless). That's the point.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just for fun , I would pass a large tariff on Chinese made US Flags .
    Do something Danke

Duties and tariffs, yes.

Why is it not possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Why is it not possible?

Yeah, I saw that.

So, don't spend so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yeah, I saw that.

So, don't spend so much.
    Agreed, but I was just responding to the OP, which doesn't say anything about spending cuts.

Agreed, but I was just responding to the OP, which doesn't say anything about spending cuts.
    Got it...

I would like help with drafting the amendment in the simplest possible language so that current federal tax revenue is replaced gradually over x number of years. If the phase over period were 5 years, total tax revenue would be divided by 5 for the first year, and a tariff rate calculated based upon current imports that would generate the same revenue.
    I thought it might be obvious....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Any help on drafts? I believe it is obvious this must be done now.

Quote Originally Posted by sratiug View Post
    So make it 200%. The tax is here already, collapsing domestic production.
    If you raised taxes on imports by 200% you get virtually no revenue because nothing would be bought.