Thread: ‘I’m a Dead Man Walking’

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

‘I’m a Dead Man Walking’

Sanford has always been different—“odd,” “eccentric,” “a character,” to cite common descriptions by colleagues—and he is simultaneously something of a crusader for his causes of debt, deficits, spending and government transparency. “The thing you have to understand about Mark is that he’s both quirky and professorial about his beliefs—a lot like how Ron Paul was,” says Tom Davis, a state senator who is Sanford’s former chief of staff and among his closest friends.

He worked for weeks alongside Sen. Rand Paul to prepare a House companion bill to replace Obamacare, and introduced it this month as the conservatives’ legislative vehicle of choice. And from a tactical and ideological standpoint, he is already viewed as a leader of the GOP resistance: In conversations since Election Day with leaders of the congressional right, Sanford is universally mentioned as one of the few House Republicans who looks forward to future confrontations with Trump. “Sanford will never back down,” Justin Amash, his colleague and fellow Tea Party troublemaker, tells me.

At that point, Sanford made a decision: He would hoard as much campaign cash as possible and spend none unless absolutely necessary. The strategy has been successful—and is fueling rampant speculation in South Carolina about what he’ll do next.

Mark at his core is a libertarian,” Felkel says, but “South Carolina is a state that can’t afford to be libertarian. … His district benefits greatly from the federal government.”

When I ask whether he’ll rule out running against Graham, Sanford is less than equivocal. “I don’t know where life goes,” he says.
    Very good article on an underappreciated Congressman. http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...profile-214791

I could see Sanford being a Senator, the Libertarian Party nominee, or maybe an outside chance of being a serious Republican candidate for President.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 02-18-2017 at 11:57 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would donate to unseating Graham.
    Do something Danke

IIRC, SC has a state caucus system where elected delegates choose their nominee via state convention and Graham somehow rigged that in his favor last time (don't remember the specifics). If I were Sanford, I'd take the Rand approach to dealing w/ Trump and prod him in the right direction rather than being downright defiant.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Very good article on an underappreciated Congressman. http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...profile-214791

I could see Sanford being a Senator, the Libertarian Party nominee, or maybe an outside chance of being a serious Republican candidate for President.
    I saw that when it came out. I am not sure if this article is a good thing. Seems like a way to undermine. Sanford is the point man in the House on Obamacare repeal and replace (Rand's version). Is this the right time for a public "FU" to Trump? Opposing ideas and nominations is one thing, but this will not win Trump's support for legislation.

And then he does the strangest thing of all: He lays waste to the president of his own party.
    Other than that, it also portrays Sanford as a disheveled, broken and desperate man, still publically obsessing about his affair.

Yeah, I'd have to say this one isn't positive.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Other than that, it also portrays Sanford as a disheveled, broken and desperate man, still publically obsessing about his affair.

Yeah, I'd have to say this one isn't positive.
    I didn't see it as a negative but part of that is I have very low expectations from a Politico article and the things that most see as negatives like the way he dresses or that he is fighting back after his affair are things I like about him. I was just happy to get some of the details of what he is working on right now.

I do think it is a mistake for him to poke Trump and undermines his Ocare effort. I suspect he will run as the LP candidate at some point if things fall through in the Republican party. Johnson actually asked him to be his VP this year before Weld. I think he is way to talented to just be a House Rep.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 02-19-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Sanford loss bump.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Pride comes before the fall...

His policy résumé is beyond reproach to those on the right: He was D.C.’s dashing fiscal hawk during his first stint in the House, and then, after term-limiting himself and returning home to South Carolina, he won the governorship, vetoed hundreds of measures from his Republican-led Legislature and gained fame by refusing to accept President Barack Obama’s stimulus funding in 2009. His political instincts are razor sharp: Sanford has never lost a campaign, which, joined with his ideological mooring, once made him a conservative favorite for the presidency. And his personal failings—namely, the infamous 2009 affair with Argentinian television journalist María Belén Chapur—appear to have been forgiven by the people of South Carolina’s 1st Congressional District, who sent him back to Congress in a 2013 special election before re-electing him in 2014 and 2016.

All this gives Sanford a unique sense of liberation to speak his mind about a president whose substance and style he considers a danger to democracy. “I’m a dead man walking,” he tells me, smiling. “If you’ve already been dead, you don’t fear it as much. I’ve been dead politically.”

I'm expecting a Fist of the North Star cameo any moment now.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.