Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'A Day Without Immigrants' Promises A National Strike Thursday

'A Day Without Immigrants' Promises A National Strike Thursday

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...trike-thursday

In cities around America, thousands of construction companies, restaurants, and other businesses are bracing for "A Day Without Immigrants," a combination boycott/strike that highlights the contributions of immigrants to U.S. business and culture.

The movement is a response to President Trump's immigration agenda, which includes a pledge to seal the U.S. border with Mexico, and a travel ban on citizens of seven majority-Muslim countries (which is now on hold).

Some businesses are closing for the day; others are staying open and pledging to contribute a share of the day's proceeds to non-profits that aid Latino communities. In a number of cases, business owners are abiding by their staffs' wishes, after holding votes to decide whether to open.

Several closures are high-profile: chef and entrepreneur José Andrés told NPR this week, "It was a very easy decision" to close his restaurants in Washington, D.C., saying he wants to support his employees who had planned not to work Thursday.

Celebrity chef Rick Bayless, who's famous for popularizing the complex flavors of Mexico's cuisine, says he closed four Chicago restaurants for the day out of respect for his staff's vote.

From Los Angeles, Daneille Karson reports for our Newscast unit:

"Thousands of immigrants are skipping work; not shopping; not eating at restaurants; buying gas, ort sending their children to school. L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis says immigrants, regardless of legal status, contribute 40 percent of L.A. County's gross domestic product: almost $300 billion in tax revenue to the county a year.

" 'It's incumbent on us to be brave, which we're prepared to do,' Solis said. 'To step up; to say to him, not in my house; not in my county; not in my state.'"

The day of protest comes after Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents alarmed immigrant rights advocates by arresting some 680 people in raids across the U.S. last week. As NPR has reported, the Department of Homeland Security has called those raids routine, saying they targeted people who had criminal convictions.

At least two schools are closed for the day in Washington, D.C. And Ahmad Erfani, who was born in Iran and grew up in France, says he's closing his bakery, Le Caprice.

"Mostly the people who work here are immigrants. We spoke with them, they thought it's good for solidarity with the others to not work," he tells member station WAMU.

Erfani added, "They are hard workers. I am not happy when I see they are not very happy these days, because it is difficult. They work hard, they come here six in the morning. It is not very comfortable for us."

The Day Without Immigrants comes more than 10 years after another national movement, the Great American Boycott, used a May 1 boycott to protest the Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005.

That legislation, also called HR 4437, would have required hundreds of miles of new fencing to be built along the Mexican border, along with toughening the federal stance toward people who are in the country illegally — and toward anyone in the U.S. who offers them shelter or aid. The bill won passage in the House of Representatives before failing in the Senate.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This'll have absolutely no effect on my life......

Make it a month or a year and the effect would be negligible if even noticed...

I suppose I'll put in a couple extra hours of work today.

Women’s March organizers plan ‘Day Without A Woman’ strike next month

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ke-next-month/

The organizers behind the Women’s March on Washington are calling for a general strike next month to show the country what a day without women would look like.

The strike is planned for March 8.

“In the spirit of women and their allies coming together for love and liberation, we offer a Day Without A Woman,” a statement from the organizers read. “We ask: do businesses support our communities, or do they drain our communities? Do they strive for gender equity or do they support the policies and leaders that perpetuate oppressions.”

The terms of the strike and how it would work are unclear, but organizers said they would be sharing more information and actions over the coming weeks.

In the wake of the Women’s March on Jan. 21 — when millions of women (and men) rallied around the world on President Trump’s first full day in office — the organizers have been releasing actions online for people to take in the first 100 days of the new administration.

The actions so far include writing to senators, strategizing how to build off the energy of the Women’s March and planning grass roots protests and other events engaging with Congress next week, which includes Presidents’ Day.

The “Day Without a Woman” strike follows the “Day Without Immigrants” strike Thursday in D.C. and across the country.

That strike calls for immigrants not to go to work, spend money or even send their children to school. The strike comes in response to Trump’s comments against immigrants and pledges to build a wall along the Mexican border and to “extremely vet” those who enter the country. It aims to show the effect immigrants have in the country on a daily basis.

I imagine it will be quite in the cities neighborhoods without any lawn care happening.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I imagine it will be quite in the cities neighborhoods without any lawn care happening.
    In my suburban neck of the woods, I have noticed an increase in domestic lawn care workers in the past couple years.

Its winter even in the cities, no lawn care going on atm. But then again, even if it was spring time, you would still hear noises cos most people live pay cheque to pay cheque and they would all ignore the silly "day without immigrant" nonsense. I sure will be going to work today and I know about this day, now think of the millions of hardworking immigrants who haven't heard about this event who would be going to work.
    Last edited by juleswin; 02-16-2017 at 09:38 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    In my suburban neck of the woods, I have noticed an increase in domestic lawn care workers in the past couple years.
    The big companies around here use immigrants. There has been an increase in smaller local 1-3 man crews. It's a cash business and there is no mandatory type of licensing (besides basic business licensing, and most don't even do that). Start up cost is pretty inexpensive.

The big companies around here use immigrants. There has been an increase in smaller local 1-3 man crews. It's a cash business and there is no mandatory type of licensing (besides basic business licensing, and most don't even do that). Start up cost is pretty inexpensive.
    yeah its the small 1-3 man crews that I've been seeing an increase in of domestics.

Went by the Post Office a littke while ago. Lots of people at the passport office.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Meh, I thought, I'll just grab a burger instead. So I did.

Last edited by phill4paul; 02-16-2017 at 02:32 PM.

We already had a "Day without immigrants" ten years ago, when Bush tried to force another amnesty down our throats. Nobody missed them then. Nobody is missing them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    We already had a "Day without immigrants" ten years ago, when Bush tried to force another amnesty down our throats. Nobody missed them then. Nobody is missing them now.
    amazing how some people always look for an excuse not to work. id fire anybody that told me they were skipping work for this.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    amazing how some people always look for an excuse not to work. id fire anybody that told me they were skipping work for this.
    Ya some how I think most immigrants who have jobs are more interested in making money than some bull$#@! leftist virtue signalling.

I'll bet most of the ones who come out and protest and stuff today are already getting welfare and would have had the day off anyway.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    Women’s March organizers plan ‘Day Without A Woman’ strike next month

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ke-next-month/
    I'd bet money a sammich would still be obtainable.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    I'd bet money a sammich would still be obtainable.
    What if you just walked around the march eating a giant sammich the whole time?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What if you just walked around the march eating a giant sammich the whole time?
    Or walk around with a basket of meats and condiments and a loaf of bread...

No noticeable difference in my life at all.

Of no matter to me . At all .
    Do something Danke

Where will I buy my weed and avocados?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Of no matter to me . At all .
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    There's definitely 2 guys we'd lose for a day on our production crew. But that's immaterial based on our size. And, they're the ones we lose for a day or two anyway when their tax refund comes in this time of year. No loss here.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I buy winter fruit and wine from Chile , I do not like avocados but I would not buy any from California or Mexico , probably tainted .
    Do something Danke

Judging from every news segment about it and social media post, restaurants are the only places who took part in this "strike". It was probably a really bad idea to do this on a weekday.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Went to a small Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight. It was delicious.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Went to a small Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight. It was delicious.
    My local Mexican place would never close .
    Do something Danke

What if we tried:

A Day Without White People
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I guess the word "immigrant" is really suppose to be a softer word than "illegal allien". You know, get you conditioned to thinking of immigration as opposed to criminals. I get so confused trying to understand the language... Is immigrant the new Undocumented worker? Are they still illegal immigrants as opposed to illegal aliens? Hard for me to keep up.

Maybe this means all (legal) immigrants should stop work for the day. That would make sense to me anyway.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    I guess the word "immigrant" is really suppose to be a softer word than "illegal allien". You know, get you conditioned to thinking of immigration as opposed to criminals. I get so confused trying to understand the language... Is immigrant the new Undocumented worker? Are they still illegal immigrants as opposed to illegal aliens? Hard for me to keep up.

Maybe this means all (legal) immigrants should stop work for the day. That would make sense to me anyway.
    Well..................It depends on who's talking....

Most of the time it means brown people, not blacks, blacks are a protected class in "Murika, brown people with straight hair, mustaches or dots on their head...Depending on which part of the country you're in "yellow" people could be included too but by and large the focus is on the browns..

I noticed you left out red people. Guess they're not really immigrants....
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast