Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study: people don't actually like looking at selfies

Study: people don't actually like looking at selfies

https://www.dpreview.com/news/783209...t-to-take-them

A couple of weeks ago a Sony-sponsored study found that consumers are ready to embrace selfies as a tool. Now a research paper, published by Sarah Diefenbach and Lara Christoforakos of Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich published in Frontiers in Psychology in January suggests that a majority of smartphone users enjoys taking selfies, but very few people like looking at selfies of others. The paper is titled 'The Selfie Paradox: Nobody Seems to Like Them Yet Everyone Has Reasons to Take Them' and is based on a study that surveyed 238 people from Austria; Germany and Switzerland. Of those who responded, 77% said they take selfies at least once a month and 49% said they receive selfies from others at least once a week.

While respondents thought of their own selfies as somewhat ironic and playful, they had less favorable views on others' selfies. 'Altogether, participants expressed a distanced attitude toward selfies, with stronger agreement for potential negative consequences (threats to self-esteem, illusionary world) than for positive consequences (e.g., relatedness, independence), and a clear preference (82%) for viewing more usual pictures instead of selfies in social media.' Many respondents also thought selfies could have an adverse effect on self-esteem and create a superficial and inauthentic image of the person taking and sending them. 90% of participants regarded others’ selfies as self-promotion. However, only 46% of respondents said the same about their own selfies. The research team acknowledges that the results are potentially biased towards the surveyed regions, and that other cultures have more accepting attitudes towards selfies. As so often in science, further study is required.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's bad enough I have to look at myself in the mirror every morning. WTF is up with selfies?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    It's bad enough I have to look at myself in the mirror every morning. WTF is up with selfies?
    IDK. I don't get it either. I see such things as scrapbook items you take at interesting locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I've never in my entire life taken a "selfie".
    Come on, I know I'm not alone here.
    Who else?
    Join my anti-selfie club.

I've taken a few but I don't get it. I don't like looking at myself in photographs in general but I find selfies especially disturbing.

One of my brothers posts them on FB just about everyday - along with photos of the food he ate. o_O It's bizarre. As a matter of fact, our family has taken to making smart ass comments on his posts but it doesn't seem to be deterring him. He says we're just jealous, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Zippy, isn't what you do here on this forum the same as an irritating selfie?

Nobody likes it.

And yet, you are here, spreading your shat.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I've taken a few but I don't get it. I don't like looking at myself in photographs in general but I find selfies especially disturbing.

One of my brothers posts them on FB just about everyday - along with photos of the food he ate. o_O It's bizarre. As a matter of fact, our family has taken to making smart ass comments on his posts but it doesn't seem to be deterring him. He says we're just jealous, lol.
    I think we're officially oldsters nao, suz. Teh kiddos don't make a lick of sense anymoar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Who else?
    present

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can remember taking one selfie.
    I had tried moving a floor jack by pulling the handle, but the handle came out and I cracked myself in the eyebrow and gave myself one of those perfect vagina-esque boxer splits.
    I took a selfie in the parking lot coming out of urgent care, and it was zoomed in on my eyebrow, to show my friends on FB that I was a bigger dumbass than any of them.

THAT's how you take a selfie.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I can remember taking one selfie.
    I had tried moving a floor jack by pulling the handle, but the handle came out and I cracked myself in the eyebrow and gave myself one of those perfect vagina-esque boxer splits.
    I took a selfie in the parking lot coming out of urgent care, and it was zoomed in on my eyebrow, to show my friends on FB that I was a bigger dumbass than any of them.

THAT's how you take a selfie.
    My only selfie;

"The Patriarch"

Do dick pics count as Selfies?

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    I have to see them first.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    If you're a dick, yes.
    "The Patriarch"

If I were sweet, I'd totaly try to get in them pants. Bandits are so sexay.

My only selfie;

My profile pic is a selfie. At least I have some control rather than letting someone else take a really crappy pic which most of them are.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    If I were sweet, I'd totaly try to get in them pants. Bandits are so sexay.
    He looks like he's putting on clown makeup to me.

I have to see them first.

He looks like he's putting on clown makeup to me.
    Just before hiding under your bed.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Who else?
    I have never taken one .
    Do something Danke

My only selfie;

Texture or primer?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    My profile pic is a selfie. At least I have some control rather than letting someone else take a really crappy pic which most of them are.
    That is different . You are a very attractive lady , which is a whole lot different say , than what Suzanimals Brother is going to put on facebook .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Texture or primer?
    Primer was what I figured .
    Do something Danke

Just before hiding under your bed.

That's a good way to get shot.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Texture or primer?
    Primer
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Ya know, every single one of the selfies you've used have a kind of in your face "oh yeah, mothertrucker, whatchu gonna say about it!!??" look on your face. lol. But, you're a very sweet lady...

Suz is ghetto as a mofo, though. Respectfully. lol. But you nice lady, too, Suz.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 02-12-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Kinda like those tv shows where a go-pro like camera is attached to a headband pointed at some dufus's face while they do whatever, most annoying videos ever, makes you want to throw something at the Boobus Toobamus.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Suz is ghetto as a mofo, though. Respectfully. lol. But you nice lady, too, Suz.
    Darn tootin'! Don't mess with me or I'll pop a cap in yo ass.

Darn tootin'! Don't mess with me or I'll pop a cap in yo ass.
    Don't you mean "bust a cap in yo ass"? Yo white cred is showin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast