Thread: Amash Tames Pro-Obamacare Protestors

Amash Tames Pro-Obamacare Protestors

600 people at a town hall is crazy. Well done Justin!

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...amacare-234886

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — It had all the makings of the anti-Trump town hall meetings Republicans have come to fear.

Retired health care industry worker Paul Bonis stood up and implored Republican Rep. Justin Amash to commit to keeping Obamacare — his life, the 61-year-old cancer survivor said, might actually depend on it. But Amash refused, and the auditorium packed with some 600 mostly liberal constituents erupted in boos and jeers for a good 30 seconds.

“You are not supporting your constituents!” yelled one person.

Instead of getting defensive or ducking for cover, though, the 36-year-old Michigan lawmaker leaned in, coolly explaining his position on the health care law. He made a point of trying to connect with the overwhelmingly Democratic room, jabbing President Donald Trump for what he called racially insensitive remarks and overreaching policies. Amash seemed to enjoy the give-and-take so much that he stayed 40 minutes longer than scheduled and promised to book an even bigger venue next time.

It was a jarring juxtaposition from the hunkered-down, protective posture many GOP lawmakers have assumed in recent weeks as Democrats storm their town hall meetings and congressional offices. At a closed-door, all-conference meeting on Tuesday, House Republicans were advised to limit crowd sizes, hire security and ensure they literally have an exit strategy to ensure they don’t get stampeded by protesters.

Many lawmakers are holding “telephone town halls” to avoid the tumult.

“Most of my colleagues, unfortunately, go with the flow; they want to stick to their comfort zones in many cases,” Amash told POLITICO in a brief interview after the event. “This doesn’t make me uncomfortable. I like to be here, hearing the different perspectives. I’m not afraid of my positions.”

Ditching Washington’s formal button-down for a casual maroon sweater and corduroys, Amash kicked off the evening calling for an end to partisan rancor that makes people “lose sight of facts.” He lambasted Trump for his executive order travel ban — part of which he called “unlawful;” the rest of which he said was simply bad policy.

“It is in my opinion [the refugee ban is] fine on legal grounds but it doesn’t appear to be sound policy,” Amash said. The crowed whooped. “If you have a policy that is just a worldwide ban on everyone, I think that goes too far.”

In one sense, Amash’s unique libertarian views give him room to maneuver where other Republicans can’t. While he’s one of the most conservative members of Congress, Amash has openly criticized Trump for months — sentiments that pleased the crowed here in this left-leaning town in his predominantly GOP district.

The crowd roared in approval, for instance, when Amash said Trump should release his tax returns. When another women questioned him about the recent raid in Yemen that Trump authorized, which resulted in the death of a U.S. soldier, Amash noted that he constantly pushes the House’s defense and intelligence panels to investigate such actions, “and this is no exception.”

The evening, though, was far from a breeze for Amash. The crowd vocally disapproved of his anti-gun control position, and his call to eliminate the Education Department.

Some showed up to the town hall with a clear agenda. Indivisible — the exploding nationwide group trying to reverse-engineer the tea party movement for progressives — handed out packets instructing constituents what to ask Amash: “If Justin doesn’t give you real answers, call him out for it,” the pamphlet read. “Do not give up the mic until your question is sufficiently answered… Boo when he falls back on regressive values. Record it all… Share it on social media."

Often, Amash pushed back. When one person yelled at him to “overturn Citizens United!” — the Supreme Court ruling that opened the floodgates to more money in politics — Amash just chuckled.

“I receive the least amount of PAC money of almost anyone in Congress,” he shot back. “I receive almost nothing… it’s all publicly filed so see for yourselves.”

The most contentious exchanges surrounded the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, the formal name of the Democratic health care law Amash appears to have adopted after being scolded by constituents during his last town hall for calling it “Obamacare.”

Bonis pressed Amash to commit to safeguarding protections for people with pre-existing conditions. When Amash wouldn’t do it, one person shouted at him to “answer the question,” to which he responded: “I am answering the question... I said I would not support that provision. I would not.”

“Why? Why? Why?” people screamed. “That’s wrong!” another called out.

Amash at that moment had to pause the conversation, telling the crowd that “yelling at each other does not resolve the problem.”

Amash effectively defused tensions, though, with jokes about his poor singing and a quip to the liberal crowd that “with Donald Trump in office, I don’t know why you’re such big fans of the federal government!”.

Twenty –five minutes after he was supposed to finish, at least 50 hands were still in the air seeking to ask questions. When the event ended, they lined up to talk to Amash.

At a town hall in January, Amash seethed that everyone couldn’t attend because of the fire code restriction on numbers. He picked a bigger space he was sure would hold everyone who showed up Thursday. Even then, he learned that coordinators had to turn people away.

“At our next one," he vowed, "we’re going to have to have a bigger place."
    Last edited by EBounding; 02-10-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Watching part 2 now. So far, I am very impressed.
    Last edited by juleswin; 02-10-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    It was a jarring juxtaposition from the hunkered-down, protective posture many GOP lawmakers have assumed in recent weeks as Democrats storm their town hall meetings and congressional offices. At a closed-door, all-conference meeting on Tuesday, House Republicans were advised to limit crowd sizes, hire security and ensure they literally have an exit strategy to ensure they don’t get stampeded by protesters
    No citation? Just a bold claim that they hold out as factual? Of something that happened at a closed-door meeting?
    I'll just consider it made up fiction as per politico's usual fake news.

As to Amash, I'm glad to be one that donates to his campaigns.

Listened to the whole thing. Justin has the patience of a saint.

Listened to the whole thing. Justin has the patience of a saint.
    The tin foil hat wearing side of me thinks the whole thing was a set up to make Amash look good . God damn, he charmed the hell out of that crowd

Loved the line he gave to the "libertarians" bitching about him cosigning the bill to end the dept of education. He said to him, "with Trump in the white house, why are you so supportive of the federal govt?"

The smiley face at the end means that I am joking

There are still a few proud defenders of Liberty and I am proud to have a man like Justin representing us.

I'll wait for the TrumpTroopers to jump in and belittle Justin's anti-trump remarks.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Those special needs women seemed more interested in listening to themselves than Amash.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Those special needs women seemed more interested in listening to themselves than Amash.
    The crowd was pretty obnoxious. If they were more courteous, there could have been more questions and more back-and-forth discussion.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thumbs up Amash embraces chaos at town hall meeting

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Justin handles it well, they are doing this everywhere.

This is at Diane Black's town hall:

https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/829884141046996998
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

The crowd was pretty obnoxious. If they were more courteous, there could have been more questions and more back-and-forth discussion.
    Collectivists... Respect for the individual is a foreign concept to them... They need group think and support drowning out any voice of dissent. Why the hell were half of those people even there? Even the person handling the camera was wandering off, viewing the assistant/security guy. Holy sh!t that was just depressing.

I think Amash is a saint for enduring that, but what good was it? People should have more respect for one another - these issues are complex and communication is necessary. That forum was not worldcup soccer, or the super-bowl... What a distracting embarrassment. Its no wonder the populous is so easily manipulated - its how the majority of people are wired, and why we get politicians like Bush, Trump, Clinton, and Obama. For fk sake people, use your damn brains.

Gulag Chief:

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Justin handles it well, they are doing this everywhere.

This is at Diane Black's town hall:
    heh, she is an awful human being, and I have crashed a couple of her town halls before
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

My older son lives in his district and went. His girlfriend said a guy went on for about 10 minutes because there are not street lights in his neighborhood.

Love me some Justin.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/stat...85612517888001

https://twitter.com/lzsmitty/status/829901988569706497
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The tin foil hat wearing side of me thinks the whole thing was a set up to make Amash look good . God damn, he charmed the hell out of that crowd

Loved the line he gave to the "libertarians" bitching about him cosigning the bill to end the dept of education. He said to him, "with Trump in the white house, why are you so supportive of the federal govt?"

The smiley face at the end means that I am joking
    There are libertarians opposing the abolition of the DoE? I have to see this to believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

So here's the person yelling in your eardrums the whole time

Christine Lewis with Michigan People's Campaign yells "protect our schools," during a town hall meeting with congressman Justin Amash at City High Middle School in Grand Rapids on Thursday, Feb. 9, 2017.

While many in the crowd came independently, others were part of a more organized effort to oppose the new presidential administration.

Christine Lewis, director of Michigan People's Campaign in West Michigan, explained bringing the fight to individual congressman at town halls like Thursday's is one strategy of the resistance movement formed in the wake of President Donald Trump's election.

"The Resist Trump movement -- the whole strategy is that we are able to resist Trump's agenda by targeting our local Congress people to resist him,” Lewis said.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    No citation? Just a bold claim that they hold out as factual? Of something that happened at a closed-door meeting?
    I'll just consider it made up fiction as per politico's usual fake news.
    Remembering how voter anger and heated town halls helped end Democratic control of Congress in 2010, Republicans have begun taking security precautions. Some have avoided in-person town halls, holding forums on Facebook or by telephone instead. Many were briefed on security recommendations for public events and their district offices at a closed-door meeting led by Rep. Dave Reichert (R-Wash.), a former county sheriff.

The presentation, according to a person present, included advice on coordinating with local police to secure town hall meetings and devising an escape route in case of threats of violence. In a floor speech, McClintock compared the anger he saw to the aftermath of the 1860 election, which escalated into the Civil War.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...fe5_story.html

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    So here's the person yelling in your eardrums the whole time

Christine Lewis with Michigan People's Campaign yells "protect our schools," during a town hall meeting with congressman Justin Amash at City High Middle School in Grand Rapids on Thursday, Feb. 9, 2017.

While many in the crowd came independently, others were part of a more organized effort to oppose the new presidential administration.

Christine Lewis, director of Michigan People's Campaign in West Michigan, explained bringing the fight to individual congressman at town halls like Thursday's is one strategy of the resistance movement formed in the wake of President Donald Trump's election.

"The Resist Trump movement -- the whole strategy is that we are able to resist Trump's agenda by targeting our local Congress people to resist him,” Lewis said.
    Astroturf... They do this sort of thing in Chicago all the time

Please endure the narrator - I could not find the original source footage.

Gulag Chief:

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Astroturf... They do this sort of thing in Chicago all the time
    "handed out packets instructing constituents what to ask Amash: 'If Justin doesn’t give you real answers, call him out for it,' the pamphlet read. 'Do not give up the mic until your question is sufficiently answered… Boo when he falls back on regressive values. Record it all… Share it on social media.'"
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

lol.... that guy has a really hard job..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."