Thread: U.S. court blocks Anthem-Cigna merger, dealing blow to consolidation

U.S. court blocks Anthem-Cigna merger, dealing blow to consolidation

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ci...-idUSKBN15O02I

A federal judge on Wednesday ruled against U.S. health insurer Anthem Inc's (ANTM.N) proposed $54 billion merger with smaller rival Cigna Corp (CI.N), derailing an unprecedented effort to consolidate the country's health insurance industry.

The U.S. Justice Department sued in July to stop Anthem's purchase of Cigna, a deal that would have created the largest U.S. health insurer by membership, and Aetna Inc's (AET.N) planned $33 billion acquisition of Humana (HUM.N).

The merger would have worsened an already highly concentrated market and is likely to raise prices, Judge Amy Berman Jackson of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia said while issuing the ruling against Anthem's deal.

Last month, a different U.S. judge ruled against Aetna's proposed deal for Humana.

Government antitrust officials argued that both deals would lead to less competition and higher prices for Americans. The acquisitions would have reduced the number of large national U.S. insurers from five to three.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good. Cigna is a horrible company. They should never merge with anyone.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    And often an acquisition or merger with a terrible company will poison the other company.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And often an acquisition or merger with a terrible company will poison the other company.
    I have seen that before . Glad I no longer have a real job . I do not miss it , at all .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have seen that before . Glad I no longer have a real job . I do not miss it , at all .
    Real world experience that is neither understood or taught at universities and think tanks...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Sure they should, like Cox Cable or EA Games for most hated company with worst customer service! Then just change the name to CiCocks or CigEnemA or something appropriate like that...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Antitrust laws are anti liberty. As Ayn Rand would say, "Free competition at the point of a gun". Of course the health care sector is so screwed up by government that it doesn't matter either way in this case.

Real world experience that is neither understood or taught at universities and think tanks...
    There is no place in real world for downers. The reality is beautiful and everybody loves everybody. Plus how would you package something like that? You know how much money we were going to make on this merger?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, indeed.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    There is no place in real world for downers. The reality is beautiful and everybody loves everybody. Plus how would you package something like that? You know how much money we were going to make on this merger?
    Yeah, Goldman-Sachs or some other firm will skim tens or hundreds of millions off the top for managing the merger, and the executives will get huge payouts. $#@! the shareholders, $#@! the customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ci...-idUSKBN15O02I

The acquisitions would have reduced the number of large national U.S. insurers from five to three.

You're for a single payer system, right? What is your opinion? Didn't you support, and even canvass for, Obama's ACA?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members