Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liberty President Trump's thoughts on civil asset forfeiture reform

Liberty President Trump's thoughts on civil asset forfeiture reform

HA HA HA HA HA!!
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    damn, I was just starting to like him too... but he really $#@!ed up on that one. Not acceptable if that is his position.

Trump invites sheriff to 'destroy' Texas state lawmaker who opposes asset forfeiture

President Donald Trump invited the sheriff of a small Texas County to “destroy” the career of a state senator who sought to ban a controversial law enforcement practice by naming the lawmaker during a White House meeting.

At a listening session with county sheriffs from around the country, Trump invited the sheriffs seated in the White House’s Roosevelt Room to make a statement while reporters were present. Rockwall County, Texas, Sheriff Harold Eavenson spoke up first to discuss asset forfeiture, a practice by which law enforcement can seize the cash and property of individuals suspected of committing a crime without a guilty verdict.

Proponents of the practice argue that allows law enforcement to effectively combat terrorism and the drug trade, while opponents, including some conservatives, argue that it allows police to seize assets without due process. Trump’s predecessor, former President Barack Obama, sought to rein in an asset sharing program by which local law enforcement were given a share of whatever assets they seized.

“On asset forfeiture, we’ve got a state senator in Texas that was talking about introducing legislation to require conviction before we could receive that forfeiture money,” Eavenson said.

“Can you believe that?” Trump interjected.

“And I told him that the cartel would build a monument to him in Mexico if he could get that legislation passed,” the Texas sheriff continued.

“Who is the state senator? Do you want to give his name? We’ll destroy his career,” Trump replied, presumably suggesting that the lawmaker would suffer for holding a position contrary to the president’s.

The president’s remark elicited laughter from those gathered in the Roosevelt Room, although the president did not join in. Eavenson did not offer the Texas state senator’s name, and the public information officer for the Rockwall County sheriff's office did not immediately return a phone call seeking clarity on which lawmaker the sheriff was referring to in his White House remarks.

Earlier in the listening session, during Eavenson's introduction to the group, the sheriff told Trump that his county "is probably 85 percent Republican, so it was pretty easy for you" and added later that "we're very proud to have you as president." Rockwall County did indeed strongly support Trump in the last election, although not quite to the extent that Eavenson suggested: the county's election results website shows that just over 77 percent of those who cast a straight party-line ballot voted for Republicans, while slightly less than 71 percent of those who opted to pick individual candidates cast their votes for Trump.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...e-texas-234740
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Un $#@!ing acceptable.

So glad I never got on the Trump train....

of course, he's free to flip flop on this issue -you know, if he ever got arrested and had his assets stolen
    what a putz
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

And all the boiling frogs cheered - because it wasn't Hillary that was turning up the heat.

RPOS
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

It's cool though, because if they beat you down, take your stuff and you are found not guilty, you can always just sue the police.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

The fact that he appears to feel very strongly about this is what is particularly disturbing. So much so that I don't think he is ever going to flip-flop back on it, like he does on many issues. That combined with the confirmation of Jeff Sessions who is the biggest defender of civil forfeiture in congress is very worrying.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How did they think he was going to get control of the land needed to build the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    The fact that he appears to feel very strongly about this is what is particularly disturbing. So much so that I don't think he is ever going to flip-flop back on it, like he does on many issues. That combined with the confirmation of Jeff Sessions who is the biggest defender of civil forfeiture in congress is very worrying.
    You are probably right.

There is nothing to be done but press on.

He is much better than Hillary on a number of things.

Horrible on this issue...so apply what pressure we can through people like Rand and Amash to push back against this.

Rand needs to grill Sessions unmercifully on this.

And where is Gorsuch on this issue?

damn, I was just starting to like him too... but he really $#@!ed up on that one. Not acceptable if that is his position.
    Was there ever any reason to doubt that he would be in favor of asset forfeiture?

The fact that he appears to feel very strongly about this is what is particularly disturbing.
    There are only a few positions he has exhibited great zeal for consistently over many years, whether running for office or not, and supporting cops in anything and everything is one of the most evident ones.

And get this, we don't know who he was talking about but the three legislators mentioned here are all liberty.

“Who is the state senator?” Trump asked Eavenson. “Do you want to give his name? We’ll destroy his career,” Trump added, and the room burst into laughter. Eavenson laughed, but refused to identify the senator.
    While it is unclear who the sheriff was referring to, the bill to abolish civil asset forfeiture was introduced in December by Texas state senator Konni Burton. The bill would require a felony conviction before law enforcement could seize the individual’s property.

A similar bill was introduced by another Texas lawmaker, Rep. David Simpson, in 2015. That bill also related “to repealing civil asset forfeiture provisions and establishing criminal asset forfeiture in this state.” However Simpson’s bill died in in the June 2015 legislative session after it was met by objections from law enforcement.

Rockwall County is represented by Texas state senator Bob Hall.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnash...jk#.cfrlnyL62Y
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    There are only a few positions he has exhibited great zeal for consistently over many years, whether running for office or not, and supporting cops in anything and everything is one of the most evident ones.
    Yes, this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You are probably right.

There is nothing to be done but press on.

He is much better than Hillary on a number of things.

Horrible on this issue...so apply what pressure we can through people like Rand and Amash to push back against this.
    Well he's talking about ending the career of one of the few elected officials to share the views of Rand and Amash. Its the stuff of nightmares for liberty activists. Hillary trying that would have just helped our guys.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

well latinxs often carry all their money on them
    not able to get bank accounts
    gotta pay for that wall somehow

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Eminent Domain being another- which asset forfeiture essentially is.
    There is no spoon.

Matches everything about him. Remember the private land he tried to seize in Scotland.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Well he's talking about ending the career of one of the few elected officials to share the views of Rand and Amash. Its the stuff of nightmares for liberty activists. Hillary trying that would have just helped our guys.

Hillary trying that would have just helped our guys.

Yes. No reason for republicans to act like republicans -but they always (majority of them) act like politicians -guaranteed.
    h/t to Dr. Ron Paul for clearing that all up for me a few years ago. Doctors and the unpleasant truth... give it to me straight Doctor Paul, I can take it!
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Even Trump supporters know better than to back him on this one on the RPF's.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Even Trump supporters know better than to back him on this one on the RPF's.
    Given them time. We'll see some of them, complete with handles incorporating variations on the word "liberty," in here to remind us that the "low IQ thugs" don't deserve their money.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    To what end?

Don't you think Rand or Ron would have been subjected to equal amounts of hate and vitriol?

Always keep in mind, most people hate freedom and do not want it.

Secession, now.

I don't have any good answers past that, I really don't.

I know I don't care for Trump based on stances like this, but I do know I like many of his actions so far to reign in the regulatory state.

I know I loathe most of the people out in the streets protesting against him.

So I'm left with any number of unpalatable options, as is usually the case when considering a position in the dog's vomit of a mess that is US politics.

without a conviction, its plain theft. trump $#@!ed up here.

Un $#@!ing acceptable.
    should the practice be banned completely? Or is the main concern when innocent people get screwed?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    should the practice be banned completely?
    Yes. Obviously.

should the practice be banned completely? Or is the main concern when innocent people get screwed?
    Hmm, there might be some justifiable reason for it in a small minority of cases, if so I'm guessing probably less than 1% of the cases.

Most of the time they are stealing property from drug dealers, they figure they made the money to buy the property by dealing drugs. That's bad enough from a liberty perspective, but next thing you know, they find a half gram of herb under some guy's car seat and they steal his $20k car, because clearly he bought a $20k car by driving around selling weed in $10 increments.. Or they find $1500 in cash and they steal it because they thought they were drug dealers or something and they never prosecute them for a crime and keep the money. These are the really egregious cases, but even stealing from a drug dealer is wrong.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-07-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

To what end?

Don't you think Rand or Ron would have been subjected to equal amounts of hate and vitriol?
    Here's my point. With Obama or Hillary, attacks on the few liberty politicians from them only makes the liberty guys more popular with red district voters. If Hillary said she wanted to end the career of a state senator, the senator would have raised an extra million $ and won reelection in a landslide.

Trump on the other hand, as leader of team red can potentially oust Rand, Amash, the good guys in my state and the good guys in your state. That's bad. Although on the federal level we haven't changed foreign policy, and we have plenty of reasons to complain, the few good things on the state level like Constitutional Carry, Asset Forfeiture repeal etc would not even have been discussed in the legislatures let alone implemented in the states they have been.

Regardless of how much the public hates or loves freedom, Constitutional Carry is the law now in about 10 states, and some states not sure how many have banned civil forfeiture. A republican president who messes in state races could turn things the other way.
    Last edited by William Tell; 02-07-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Must be somebody found a way to violate the Fifth Amendment and have the government court give it's approval.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 02-07-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Interesting need to think about this.

My first reaction is that I don't agree with Trump on the issue. I do agree with him on destroying anyone who stands in his way tho.

You can't have civil asset forfeiture if you don't have cops.

It's a simple and elegant solution to all sorts of problems.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast