Thread: Internet Movie Database Forums [Comment Section only] being shut down

Internet Movie Database Forums [Comment Section only] being shut down

http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

Increasingly, IMDb customers have migrated to IMDb's social media accounts as the primary place they choose to post comments and communicate with IMDb's editors and one another. IMDb's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/imdb) and official Twitter account (https://twitter.com/imdb) have an audience of more than 10 million engaged fans. IMDb also maintains official accounts on Snapchat (https://www.snapchat.com/add/imdblive), Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/imdbofficial/), YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/imdb), and Tumblr (http://imdb.tumblr.com/).

Because IMDb's message boards continue to be utilized by a small but passionate community of IMDb users, we announced our decision to disable our message boards on February 3, 2017 but will leave them open for two additional weeks so that users will have ample time to archive any message board content they'd like to keep for personal use. During this two-week transition period, which concludes on February 19, 2017, IMDb message board users can exchange contact information with any other board users they would like to remain in communication with (since once we shut down the IMDb message boards, users will no longer be able to send personal messages to one another). We regret any disappointment or frustration IMDb message board users may experience as a result of this decision.

IMDb is passionately committed to providing innovative ways for our hundreds of millions of users to engage and communicate with one another. We will continue to enhance our current offerings and launch new features in 2017 and beyond that will help our customers communicate and express themselves in meaningful ways while leveraging emerging technologies and opportunities.

this is a shame
    I used to enjoy reading the comments and discussions there
    but trolls have ruined it for the last several years

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IMDb has jumped the shark
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

ya this will kill that site

The daily beast did this a while back. For me, comment sections are the best part of reading an article. Most of the time, I am so anxious to read what people are saying that I just rush through the article.

Idiots. That's the best feature they have. I hope they get some competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

How will we find out if an actress smokes, now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Yeah. I guess we're just getting old. Facebook is fine for some things but the forums work better for others. IMDB is the latter.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Literally why? There are plenty of trolls on there, sure, but the discussion was nicely individualized to each particular movie. Why would I want to look through a smorgasbord of Facebook comments to discuss likely only the most popular movies?
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

my best guess as to why
    amazon owns it now
    and they don't like things messy
    and to them a forum like that is
    plus they hate humans

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    my best guess as to why
    amazon owns it now
    and they don't like things messy
    and to them a forum like that is
    plus they hate humans
    Sounds like IMDB is about to get the youtube sterilization Viacom gave youtube in 2006

IMDB had a comment section? Never knew . Guess I won't miss it.

it is/was a multi-thread board for each foreign or domestic movie, tv show, actor, director, producer or crew member page
    no matter how obscure
    sometimes the individuals would interact on it themselves
    usually only the indie types as big stars are to thin skinned
    though rumors were some would anonymously
    its just more evidence of the soulless corporate internet that's coming
    where any commenting if allowed with have to be 140 characters or less heavily moderated by AI
    allowing only an echo chamber of rah rah positive comments to push a films boxoffice
    enjoy

It was always interesting seeing the people involved in $#@! films coming on there to hype them when they are first released, then immediately go down the tubes when people actually watched them.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Yeah. I guess we're just getting old. Facebook is fine for some things but the forums work better for others. IMDB is the latter.
    So much for their analysts.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothbardian Girl View Post
    Literally why? There are plenty of trolls on there, sure, but the discussion was nicely individualized to each particular movie. Why would I want to look through a smorgasbord of Facebook comments to discuss likely only the most popular movies?
    FB is ill-suited to discourse longer than about 5 posts. VERY ill-suited.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Only discussions and comments through official NSA/CIA controlled, monitored, archived and, when necessary, censored, services allowed! It's too hard trying to track all you people across bunches of privately owned websites. Make it easier on the spooks, k?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    FB is ill-suited to discourse longer than about 5 posts. VERY ill-suited.
    They have a function now where you can tag people in comments and reply to them that way, but you are correct in that it breaks down after about 5-10 people get involved in one particular thread.

I'm with CA/CJ here - seems like a way to further corporatize the movie/entertainment industry via social media.
    Last edited by Rothbardian Girl; 02-06-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rothbardian Girl View Post
    They have a function now where you can tag people in comments and reply to them that way, but you are correct in that it breaks down after about 5-10 people get involved in one particular thread.

I'm with CA/CJ here - seems like a way to further corporatize the movie/entertainment industry via social media.
    The network is mostly a drag.

It's not IMDB but delphi forums are still around. I'm not sure when that one started but I know the trivia club has been around since as far back as 1999 - well further because it was going gang busters when I got there
    still forums.. tons of them
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

ok well a large group of IMDB people seem to be moving here
    https://www.themoviedb.org/
    it has individual boards for each movie/show/actor etc
    not much content there atm but that's sure to change

welp they did it
    IMDB message boards are no more
    one of the oldest communities on the internet is gone
    https://www.themoviedb.org/ is taking off though